[Review] Avon Storm Ultra 2

Bike
2015 R3, 2009 DN-01
Last week, I had a friend suffer a rear tire failure on her NT, fitted with Storm Ultra 2s. It had fairly low mileage and she's gentle on her tires.
I hope the tires you ordered aren't from the same batch that your friend's tires were.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I liked the Avon's I put on the NT, as far as grip was concerned. Wet or dry they stuck. My only issue was they did not last long. Went to PR3's and had best of both. Long lasting and just as sticky. The bonus was they were also very quiet.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[..hope the tires you ordered aren't from the same batch that your friend's tires were...]

From what I understand, making tires is still closer to an art than manufacturing so tires from the same batch as one bad example will not necessarily be bad.

If you ever watch car racing on TV, you'll often hear drivers complain about the new tires mounted at the last pit stop having a negative effect on handling. And the QC on those tires is a lot higher than road tires.

Last edited:
Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
First, let me just say that I don't need new tires since im still a neophyte, and my 2010 NT has 3900 miles. However, I aspire to ride the distances that you guys with iron butts ride. My question is, do most folks continue with the Honda OEM size tires? Would a wider front or rear tire add any significant traction?
I'm sure it's a stupid question, but I'm comfortable with my ignorance. (As are most Americans)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
IMHO there is no real value in using a different tire size than OEM. The only reason I'd consider using a different size is if I was stranded and the only available option was a tire that was either slightly smaller or slightly larger.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I agree.

The bike corners as well as most riders can handle, even on the stock tires. There is not enough power to need more tire in the rear, nor enough load capacity.

If you wanted to quicken the turn in you might go narrower than stock, but, that would also 'play' with straight line stability.

I would stay stock sizes. These days unless you modify suspensions the stock sizes are usually best. Heck, that goes for almost any bike of any era.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Nearly every sport bike (including, I think, the Ducati Panigale and the Kawasaki ZX-10) use the same 120/70X17 size that we use. You might have room to fit a 160/70X17 rear, but it would be pretty tight clearances. The OEM tire size seems to be the only practical option and it works just fine.

However, let me share something I was told once that has always stuck with me: There are NO stupid questions except for the ones that don't get asked!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
What I look for, is the "perfect'' tire. I want outstanding traction in dry and wet conditions. And I want it to last forever. Oh yeah, and I want it to cost less than nothing.
That's the tire I want!!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
What I look for, is the "perfect'' tire. I want outstanding traction in dry and wet conditions. And I want it to last forever. Oh yeah, and I want it to cost less than nothing.

Chris
Watch out Chris. You are beginning to sound like me, Cheap Charlie!! Pretty soon you'll qualify as a Guzzi owner. :)

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Tires seem to change more often then model of motorcycles. You find one your like, 10K later, no longer available. If I get 10K I am happy, OEM tires never seem to last that long. I use Metzeler (Lesertec follow rain groves), switch to Avon on my 84 R100RT, I figures years on that bike since I may ridden only once a month (sentimental reason to own, should pass it along but that will be my son's job after he cremates me: hopefully not too soon).
IF I get near 10K on motorcycle tires I happy, I then to change early before a long trip when they get around 10K, the Michelin maybe 3k too early.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Has anyone changed the gas in their tires from air to nitrogen? A fellow rider said he is under the impression that nitrogen will increase the life of the tire and will be affected less by temperature changes consequently helping to maintain a constant pressure within the tire.
Save your money. The last line is this article from Tire Rack says it all....

Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Wine-Barr,
The Honda dealer here offers Nitrogen fills. Here's what they have to say on their website.

Why should I fill my motorcycle tires or vehicle tires with Nitrogen?

Improve performance; Safety & Tire Wear with N2

Nitrogen helps to maintain proper tire pressure longer in a tire. Air leaks out of the tire at 2-3 times faster than Nitrogren.

Nitrogen reduces catastrophic blow outs. The #1 reason for tire blow outs is under inflated tires. A tire can be as much as 50% under inflated and appear to be normal. Nitrogen provides a safer alternative.

Nitrogen improves fuel economy. The average vehicle will see a 4% mile per gallon improvement.

Nitrogen provides consistent pressure. High temperatures will cause the pressure in an air filled tire to rise. Nitrogen is very dry thus reducing fluctuating pressures in a tire. This is why many racers choose Nitrogen.

Nitrogen extends tire life. Nitrogen provides proper tire pressure thus giving the driver rider optimum tire wear. Nitrogen is inert and dry and therefore prevents oxidation of rubber, rims, and valve stems.

Goodyear, in a June 14, 2004, Product Service Bulletin #2004-09 stated, “Goodyear supports the use of Nitrogen, as in inflation gas, in all Goodyear, Dunlop, Kelly, and Associated Brand and Private Brand products, based on the ability for the tire to retain pressure for a longer period of time. The use of Nitrogen will not affect the tire warranty."

For me...I'm just trying to learn riding techniques fast enough to not wrap my bike around a tree, so until I can do that, I'm not gonna farkle. Not even nitrogen filled tires. I can imagine waking up in the meat wagon and thinking...damn, I just spent $60 on nitrogen filled tires, and now their both flat! I'm kidding, of course, but I do think that sooner or later I will certainly do the nitrogen tire fill.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I use a precise ratio of 78% nitrogen in my tires, with 21% oxygen. It seems to give me better handling response and mpg.

My tires only get a couple pounds of air added every 2-3 months, so it must be working.

Chris
I've found that the same mixture has worked, even at Colorado's higher altitudes.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I think only someone like Woodaddict on this would benefit from nitrogen. The rest of us are doing insufficient mileage. As the article says: "Get a good, accurate tyre pressure gauage and use it often".

olddy55

I replaced the original 023's with pr4's. These are now near end and will require replacing early this season. I generally ride distances and in warmer weather, loaded. The Avons may save a few dollars and last a wee bit longer, but I will stick to the pr4's. I like the sipes when caught in the rain and I just trust them! Thanks for all the discussion, everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Try starting a fire in an atmosphere of nitrogen, fire - rapid oxidation. funny how that will not work. Science is not liberal Fake news.

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Filling with Nitrogen is a con-job for the average person.
Phil is right, 78% Nitrogen/21% Oxygen is good and has been for over 100 years.
Yes, Nitrogen is an advantage for aircraft and Formula 1 tyres which suffer extremes of temperature.
Nitrogen expands and contracts less than air so the pressure stays more stable.
Proponents of Nitrogen use say that Oxygen molecules leech out of the tyre faster than the Nitrogen molecules.
That appears to be true but if it is, it is therefore logical that every time you add air to your tyres you are effectively increasing the percentage of Nitrogen inside.
By the time your tyres are worn out they should have nearly 100% Nitrogen inside anyway.
I have been selling and fitting tyres for nearly 50 years and could charge my customers $5 to top up each tyre but I cannot do that with a clear conscience.

Macka

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...Science is not liberal Fake news...]

I love that statement!

I've had some new tires that bled air more rapidly than other new tires without rhyme or reason. When there is a drop from warm-to-cold ambient temps, recheck your tires and fortunately, our temps are heading in the other direction and we really haven't had a winter where I live in west central OH. In cleaning-up my garage yesterday (while wearing shorts & t-shirt!), I almost put my snow shovel into attic storage above the garage but decided to wait for a few more weeks. You never know when Mother Nature might throw in a last sucker punch!

I'm going riding today with some pals and that'll be my 4th or 5th ride for February. :)

Top Bottom