Its 1966 all over again.....

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My second Yamaha....

Happiness is a warm puppy, and new rubber!

Bike
2010 NT700V Red
Way cool Yam. I had a 1967 Yamaha YM2, 305 Big Bear Scrambler. I think that was my second bike, first one being a 1950's Sears Allstate... Thanks for the memory.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Those two stroke Yamaha Twins were absolutely phenomenal. I remember getting a chance to try out a TD-1 at Watkins Glen in 1966. Wow! The only other bike I remember making a lasting impression was a Bultaco Metralla. There were some really nice 250cc and under two strokes back then--like the Zundapp Super Sabre. I love two strokes--does not score me points with the environmentalists.

tawilke46

My first fast bike was a '67 Suzuki X-6 Hustler, also got to ride a Bridgestone 350, which seemed awfully fast in 1970.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My first bike was a 1966 Yamaha YL1 "Twin Jet". I rode it every chance I got. One day, I was sitting in traffic and a car hit me from behind. The little Yammy got considerably shorter. Still miss that bike.
I remember the twin jet 100! And so many other two stroke bikes of the era....back then, we all worked on our own bikes....points, plugs, condensor, de-carbon the heads.....adjust the chains....change the tires....
Lets see.... how many two strokes I had....Yamaha 80 cc street bike, Yamaha 305 Twin, Yamaha 350 (or was it 400?) twin. Kawasaki 175, Yamaha DT 400.

I bet the Kawasaki 750 tripple H2 was a fun ride. How did we survive those years?
http://classic-motorbikes.net/kawasaki-h2-750/

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I rode the H1 when it came out. It was aptly nicknamed the widow maker. Too much power for the frame and brakes, but it was a hoot!

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I grew up with dirt 2 strokes. A 1966 or 68 Harley 125cc Rapide, a Kawasaki 10 speed (dual range) 100cc, plus riding others bikes.
Lets not forget the Yamaha RD/RZ series. I had a slightly rough RZ350 that was great at taking me back to earlier days.

Brad

Attachments

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Other than for off road riding I was never a fan of two stroke road bikes and in the early days Honda's were my choice of motorcycles. Later when the other Japanese companies started to build four strokes I also bought those. Never could stand the blue exhaust smoke, the ring a ding ding sound and the lack of low end power. They were fast though once you got the rpm's up.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Other than for off road riding I was never a fan of two stroke road bikes and in the early days Honda's were my choice of motorcycles. Later when the other Japanese companies started to build four strokes I also bought those. Never could stand the blue exhaust smoke, the ring a ding ding sound and the lack of low end power. They were fast though once you got the rpm's up.
I was too young and dumb to think smoke was bad. The power to weight ratio was good.....but the brakes didnt match the power......

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I rode the H1 when it came out. It was aptly nicknamed the widow maker. Too much power for the frame and brakes, but it was a hoot!

Mike
The good thing about learning to ride on a bike where the "power to brake" ratio was way too high was that even now, I dont go anywhere near the danger zone where you are outriding your brakes.....maybe that has helped keep me alive...

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
My first bike was a '65 BSA Thunderbolt that I bought in 1967. Although I have never owned a two stroke, I have ridden a few.

An original H1 didn't handle that badly if it had good swing arm bushings in it. The problem, besides the crappy suspension and brakes, was that the bushings were nylon, I think.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I was like you Warren, pretty much a Honda guy. We made fun of the two strokes and called 'em "ring-dings". Then along came Suzuki with the X-6 Hustler and gave us Super Hawk owners a run for our money. It was quite a hoot to open the throttle on the Hustler and hang on to the handlebars when she "came on the pipe"... even more so with the Kaw H1 which was downright wicked. I finally caved and bought a Yamaha 175 dirt bike and loved it. I still think that the best dirt bikes are two-smokers.

Mike

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I don't remember much from 1966.... cuz I was 2. :rofl1: :nanner1:
Hey Buddy.....that sword cuts both ways.... ;)
Actually, I am glad I lived when I did....I saw and did alot....I am not so sure I want to be around when you are 68......

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I had a 100cc single after the twin, then a 185 and a 250. I then switched to Suzuki, Had a 380 triple and a 550 triple. Both two-strokes. Finally, a 650 Tempter twin four stroke. I used a dial indicator to get the exact firing mark on the triples, and used the 6 cylinder scale on a dwell meter to set the points. From then on, timing took just a few minutes. I would love to have any of them back. (The past always has a rosier hue than the present.)
Actually, If I were honest with myself, there are very few I would really and truely want back.....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I was like you Warren, pretty much a Honda guy. We made fun of the two strokes and called 'em "ring-dings". Then along came Suzuki with the X-6 Hustler and gave us Super Hawk owners a run for our money. It was quite a hoot to open the throttle on the Hustler and hang on to the handlebars when she "came on the pipe"... even more so with the Kaw H1 which was downright wicked. I finally caved and bought a Yamaha 175 dirt bike and loved it. I still think that the best dirt bikes are two-smokers.

Mike
I had a Yamaha 175 Enduro (I think that is what it was called) and rode trails through the deep woods in southern Illinios....not fast....but it was fun....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
My first bike was a '65 BSA Thunderbolt that I bought in 1967. Although I have never owned a two stroke, I have ridden a few.

An original H1 didn't handle that badly if it had good swing arm bushings in it. The problem, besides the crappy suspension and brakes, was that the bushings were nylon, I think.
I always thought a red BSA Lightning was the best looking bike ever back then.....but I was very happy with my Brit racing green Yamaha 650 Twin....

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Hey Buddy.....that sword cuts both ways.... ;)
Actually, I am glad I lived when I did....I saw and did alot....I am not so sure I want to be around when you are 68......
Not sure I'll make it that long.. lol But, I'm sure gonna try.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
My all time favorite bike was a 1971 John Player Special Norton 750. My next favorite was my first bike--a 1956 NSU Special Max.

Top Bottom