Things I learn in my driveway

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I carry a Slime SPAIR with me on any trips out of the local area and had one in my desk at work.

View attachment 12161

I've read all the negative comments about Slime. I think they fall into the "fake news" category. Someone said this, and someone else repeated it, and since you read it on the Internet, it must be true. (This also is something you're reading on the Internet, but I'll be glad to tell you in person at Spearfish over a cool one, so it actually will be true. :) )

I got started with Slime on my Suzuki Burgman when a screw met my rear tire. I tried the sticky worms, but it was still leaking some. Lots of people on the BurgmanUSA forum said they'd never ride with a patched tire...but I wonder how much they really rode. But I took their advice and ordered a new rear tire. In the meantime, I put some Slime in it. A few days later, I thought about not replacing the tire since it had stopped leaking. But since the tire was ordered, I went ahead and changed it.

The Slime was a mess inside the tire. It was a nice bright green runny liquid, just like it is in the bottle. Well...it had been inside the bottle just a couple weeks earlier, so that makes perfect sense.

A few weeks later, I saw a small cotter pin sticking out of my new tire. My wife at this time was looking for any excuse to get me to quit riding, and money was tight, so I didn't want to tell her I was replacing the tire again. I put the remainder of the bottle of Slime in...and the leak stopped. Over the life of that tire, I picked up a total of 4 or 5 nails and screws. The Slime sealed all of the leaks.

When it was time to replace the tire (@ 15,000 miles), I asked to be present when the tire was removed. I wanted to see all the corrosion that supposedly Slime would cause. The mechanic made a loud comment about all the mess...but I think he had primed himself to say that before seeing anything. There was no mess. Over time, just like the Ride-On pictures showed, the Slime had moved to the tread area and become sticky enough to not drip or run. In fact, you couldn't even tell Slime was inside the tire unless you stuck your fingers into the material itself. And as for corrosion...there was none.

The Slime SPAIR package is nice in that you get both the Slime bottle and a good quality compressor. You can find it at most hardware stores.

Chris
Thanks! I buy the serious Slime for the lawn tractor tires and I am very impressed. Quite awhile ago, Consumer reports did a test on the "fix in a can" products and for the life of me, I cant remember which one they were impressed with, but I have carried Slime Spair in my bikes kits for years. When I blew a can into my wife's Subaru tire, I was very unimpressed with the final air pressure after the can did its thing... 5 psi. A motorcycle tire has a much lower volume of course so I would expect more of a pressure buildup but it is clear that the electric pump would also be needed. I should check for youtubes on Slime Spair....since I carry my own air compressor I might save space by just carrying a bottle of slime or whatever....
My own opinion of tires throwing plugs out due to centrifical force is that it may be possible but I dont worry about a well installed mushroom plug or gooey worm being thrown out....the air pressure if you calculate it is about zilch on the actual plug and I would have a hard time believing the centrifical force would drive either out. On the other hand, if the original nail/whatever hole is big, I go ahead and replace the tire if I have any doubts...it just makes me sleep better....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I've been using Ride-On for 12-15 years and started when I first read about it in Motorcycle Consumer News. For a while there, it was off the market because the military was buying their entire annual (?) production during one of our desert wars, then it came back after that. And I'll freely admit it's difficult to find but luckily they carry it at Iron Pony in Columbus OH, where I buy my tires. Prior to that I was buying it via the internet and paying for shipping.

ps. I have nothing bad to say about Slime because I've never used it. :D
Most of my experience with slime is having lots of property with thorny bushes and other sticky things on it and buying my first lawn tractor. Very soon the tires had punctures. I bought a big jug of Slime, pumped it in to all four tires, and never looked back. The only way I know I have another leak is that some green stuff appears on the surface of tires....I think its the cat's meow for tube tires but yes, the military buys Ride On and now it is available at very reasonable prices free shipping on Ebay. The chart they have on their website says roughly 8-10 oz depending on the tire. The upside if you dont want to put it in the tire till there are issues is that it packs pretty small. The downside is it is very thick (they say) and it is best to heat soak the bottle in hot water first before trying to squeeze the stuff into the tire.
(Check out this thread...the guy in post number 8 put up pics of what he says is corrosion due to Ride On in his FJR wheel)
http://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140267

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
One of my reasons for the SPAIR kit, is that I also carry mushroom plugs. I have CO2 cartridges, but I've read where they do lose pressure after a period of time. I'd hate to be out in the middle of nowhere and need some air...but find the CO2 cartridges weren't enough. Plus, if you have a slow leak, you can add pressure over time.

I've heard that the rubber in tires re-vulcanizes over time with the movement of the rubber and heat. I don't know if that's true, or not.

I did have one instance where Slime didn't work. I was going down the freeway and had a sudden total loss of air. Slime was already in the tire, but the hole was large enough and the speed of rotation was so much, that the Slime sprayed out. It wasn't a problem to clean up...it's water soluble. I believe the Slime could've fixed the tire if the nail had stayed in. When I had a similar large nail, I rotated the tire to put the puncture area at the bottom and the leak sealed up in seconds.

Chris
I agree with you that the CO2 cartridges may well not be enough....A good air pump is an important item to carry, IMHO. I have switched to items that have screw on nozzels as I have personal issues the the "clamp" on type. When I picked up my FJR new tired wheel today at Westside power sports, I asked them about Ride on. They said that customers who have powder coated wheels have no issues but others have reported corrosion.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've never noticed any corrosion on the inside of the wheel during a tire change. Maybe those wheels were uncoated alum?

In regards to using something in a can to inflate a flat tire, you really need a 12v portable pump to get you going safely after a tire repair. They make small ones now but years ago they didn't so I bought a Campbell-Hausfeld compressor and quickly stripped off the large plastic shell and just made some simple sideplates to hold the motor & compressor.

K3 version of air compressor case.jpg

In the background is the original case with handle and other protrusions removed but I felt it was still too large so made some simple sideplates of masonite. I first made the sideplates of alum but for whatever reason they made the compressor run very slow which is still a mystery to me. Anyhow it still works some 17-20 years later!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
A regard a pump as a necessity. Do I carry CO2 cartridges? Yes. But a pump with a screw on nozzel that is small is great.....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[Do I carry CO2 cartridges? Yes. But a pump with a screw on nozzel that is small is great...]

From what I've heard and read, the CO2 cartridges can barely inflate a rear tire on a street bike so I've never bothered with them. The CO2 cartridges are OK for a dirt bike because they have smaller tires that are typically run low anyhow.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I had a flat on my Gold Wing this past summer in Utah. I put two CO2 cartridges in and it did not inflate the tire enough to ride any distance. I could not find a hole and ended up having to be towed as both the built-in and slime compressors failed. The CO2 worked great, but I think you would have to carry 10 or more just to be comfortable.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I had a flat on my Gold Wing this past summer in Utah. I put two CO2 cartridges in and it did not inflate the tire enough to ride any distance. I could not find a hole and ended up having to be towed as both the built-in and slime compressors failed. The CO2 worked great, but I think you would have to carry 10 or more just to be comfortable.
Just playing the devil's advocate here....
1. You had a flat so you had a hole....we just dont know how big....or how much of the CO2 escaped out the hole? I would think in a large touring tire, you are correct....it would take many cartridges to get to any kind of safe pressure to ride slowly to safety. It might be worth the bucks to find out that number to me, personally.
2. A double pump failure would be pretty rare, but the current type of Slime small pump I am sure could and does fail on a regular basis. I at least test my pumps before touring season. (I actually have an air hose with two screw on fittings so you can steal someone else's tire air in an emergency....dont tell Frosty... ;)

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I carry two tubeless puncture repair kits. One for small holes and one for large holes.
I also carry a good old-fashioned hand pump, similar looking to a bicycle pump.
It has a foot lever so you can stand on it and use it like an old hand tyre pump.
I have never used it for myself but have lent it to another rider who had a flat rear tyre (bald tyre BTW) on the side of the highway.
We found the hole and it was a tiny leak.
He was able to get the tyre up to 30psi by hand in about 5 minutes.
That was good enough to get him to the next town (about 8km/5 miles) ahead.
I was surprised how quickly it pumped up the tyre.

Macka

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I carry two tubeless puncture repair kits. One for small holes and one for large holes.
I also carry a good old-fashioned hand pump, similar looking to a bicycle pump.
It has a foot lever so you can stand on it and use it like an old hand tyre pump.
I have never used it for myself but have lent it to another rider who had a flat rear tyre (bald tyre BTW) on the side of the highway.
We found the hole and it was a tiny leak.
He was able to get the tyre up to 30psi by hand in about 5 minutes.
That was good enough to get him to the next town (about 8km/5 miles) ahead.
I was surprised how quickly it pumped up the tyre.

Macka
Actually, for decades I carried a small (relatively speaking) quality hand bicycle pump. But now they have gotten smaller and may yet be a viable alternative....the thing to do is to stop by a real bike shop and see which ones they reccommend...they may be slow
but if that Slime pump breaks, it might not be a bad idea....
https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Pump-Gauge-Pro-Tool/dp/B00XLGKU2S/ref=sr_1_27?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1490238316&sr=1-27&keywords=bicycle+pump

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Using a hand pump might take you to cardiac arrest before you get to a rideable air pressure! :-(

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
Using a hand pump might take you to cardiac arrest before you get to a rideable air pressure! :-(
The guy who borrowed my pump raised the pressure from flat enough to push the tread in more than an inch with your thumb to 30psi in about 5 minutes and didn't raise a sweat. He was, however, about 30 years younger than me. :rofl1:

Macka

bicyclist

Actually, for decades I carried a small (relatively speaking) quality hand bicycle pump. But now they have gotten smaller and may yet be a viable alternative....the thing to do is to stop by a real bike shop and see which ones they reccommend...they may be slow
but if that Slime pump breaks, it might not be a bad idea....
https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Pump-Gauge-Pro-Tool/dp/B00XLGKU2S/ref=sr_1_27?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1490238316&sr=1-27&keywords=bicycle+pump
If you're considering a bicycle pump (I carry one), you want a low pressure, high volume pump such as for a mountain bike. Road bikes roll on high pressure tires (120 PSI), so their pumps are designed to pump high pressure at low volume. It takes forever to pump up a MC tire with one. Since you don't need high pressure in a MC tire, but the volume is much greater than a bicycle tire, you want a high volume, low pressure pump.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
And why do you think it will break more than any other pump?

Chris
Guy on the FJR forum got a flat on his Wing. Both the on board air comp. and the spare he had would not work.
It important to check equipment to make sure things work, especially when dealing with....with.....ahhh....how to say this?....
equipment that is not made to aircraft quality standards.....

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
If you're considering a bicycle pump (I carry one), you want a low pressure, high volume pump such as for a mountain bike. Road bikes roll on high pressure tires (120 PSI), so their pumps are designed to pump high pressure at low volume. It takes forever to pump up a MC tire with one. Since you don't need high pressure in a MC tire, but the volume is much greater than a bicycle tire, you want a high volume, low pressure pump.
I agree if they are small enough. Do you have a link to some you like?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I have a 12v pump so never considered a "hand pump" but I have seen some that are placed on the ground and you repeatedly step on a pedal to make it work. They usually have a much larger diameter cylinder (hi volume, low pressure) that is suitable for car tires but perhaps too big to carry on your NT?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I have a 12v pump so never considered a "hand pump" but I have seen some that are placed on the ground and you repeatedly step on a pedal to make it work. They usually have a much larger diameter cylinder (hi volume, low pressure) that is suitable for car tires but perhaps too big to carry on your NT?
I bought one of those once. It was not a good pump even for mountain bike tires.

Top Bottom