I hope alll of the rest of you are out riding....

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
did you keep the rim? or look at rim in shop to see if any crush washer wore a deep groove in alum rim hub?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
did you...look at rim in shop to see if any crush washer wore a deep groove in alum rim hub?
I did. It had.

But, that's all history now and the least of my problems.

I'm writing this from Northern Colorado Medical Center in Greeley. Last Monday, I'd driven out to Fort Morgan (50 miles) to do a funeral for a hospice patient who had died. When I go home and got out of the car, I experienced a tingling sensation, kind of like when your arm goes to sleep, that was in the three outer fingers of my left hand, the outside of my left arm, down my left side and leg and my left foot. And my right foot. It was weird, but not exactly painful and it went away after 10-12 minutes. On Wednesday, I got up to get coffee during a meeting at Hospice and had the same sensation for maybe 2-3 minutes. Yesterday, I was preaching at the United Methodist Church here in Greeley, and during the middle service, I got it again. It lasted maybe 10-15 minutes. As I walked back to the main sanctuary, I wondered if it was something I ought to check out.

My ex-wife and her partner Connie were in the sanctuary and I told them about it and asked what they thought. My ex- said, "What would you tell me to do?" (She's kinda' famous for ignoring symptoms for 2-3 days.) So, after church, I went home and fed the cats and went to the ER facility 1/2 mile from the house. The ER doc had me stay there for about six hours checking heart enzymes to be sure I hadn't had a heart attack. My EKGs were normal and my enzymes were normal. He consulted a neurologist, who said my symptoms didn't fit anything but, since I am diabetic and diabetics often present with strange symptoms, that they needed to rule out TIA (transient ischemic attacks, usually called mini-strokes) and see if I had had a stroke or was a stroke risk.

So, I was transported by ambulance to the hospital. Last night I had an ultrasound of my carotid arteries. This morning I've had an echocardiogram. I'm going to have an MRI of my head and then I'll sit around and wait for doctors to read the reports and figure out what's going on (or not). The doctor I saw this morning agreed with my diagnosis that I have not had a stroke. He also said that whatever it was it was weird. So, my guess is that the main thing I'm doing is enriching the medical community by thousands and thousands of dollars.

I had had a tentative plan to meet Chuck Henderson for breakfast tomorrow but he had to cancel. I just want to get a green light to ride again. I'm down to 3 1/2 weeks before the "How the West Was Won Rally" in Grand Junction and a week after that I'll leave for the 3-Flags Classic.

Getting old sucks. Although it beats getting dead.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Take care Phil.
I just had a conversation yesterday concerning why people don't go to a Dr. when they have symptoms. I understand why. Sometimes it's nothing, sometimes it is difficult if not impossible to find, and sometimes you can't do much about it anyway. The trick is sorting out the important from the not so much and finding the right Dr.
Better to err on the safe side.

Brad

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Good for you for getting checked out. May your diagnonsis be good and may you be healthy (as possible at your ancient age). "Getting old sucks", Phil Tarman - I agree!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm home. Ultra-sound scan of carotid arteries: All is good. Echocardiogram (heart): All is good. MRI of brain: All is good (even though MRIs can only reveal gross deformities or problems, not functionality). Complete blood work: All is good.

Doctor's conclusion: We have ruled out a lot of bad stuff. Nobody had ever heard of symptoms like mine which were two-sided (i.e., both feet, only one side for everything else). It might be onset of neuropathy. I'll ride to Ft Morgan to see my primary care physician Wednesday morning.

I'm glad Medicare and my Medicare supplement will being paying for this adventure!

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chris, well, yeah... I still am not ready. But... yes.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Phil, Stay with it, and be more aware of any future symptoms. It has been 10 years next month since I have had a Cardiac Stent installed. I am going to be 67 in Sept. I go see the cardiologist at least once a year now, needed or not. My symptoms were not like yours except they were very mild and lasted only about 15 min. only once. I mentioned this to my Gen Doc in passing during a physical, a month or so after experiencing the symptoms. He referred me to a Cardiologist. They could not find any thing conclusive but instead of sending me home they scheduled me for a Cardiac Cath. This is when they found a 90% blockage. and a 50% blockage in the Cardiac Arteries. Along with the meds that I have been taking all these years, the biggest and hardiest preventive measure is to get exercise and loose weight. So far I have lost and gained two Chucks over the years. This time I decided to really stick with it and try and keep my weight down. On my latest attempt, started in Jan, I have lost 40 lbs again. My biggest problem is keeping the weight off. Best wishes and take please take care of yourself. Nobody else will.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Phil, Stay with it, and be more aware of any future symptoms. It has been 10 years next month since I have had a Cardiac Stent installed. I am going to be 67 in Sept. I go see the cardiologist at least once a year now, needed or not. My symptoms were not like yours except they were very mild and lasted only about 15 min. only once. I mentioned this to my Gen Doc in passing during a physical, a month or so after experiencing the symptoms. He referred me to a Cardiologist. They could not find any thing conclusive but instead of sending me home they scheduled me for a Cardiac Cath. This is when they found a 90% blockage. and a 50% blockage in the Cardiac Arteries. Along with the meds that I have been taking all these years, the biggest and hardiest preventive measure is to get exercise and loose weight. So far I have lost and gained two Chucks over the years. This time I decided to really stick with it and try and keep my weight down. On my latest attempt, started in Jan, I have lost 40 lbs again. My biggest problem is keeping the weight off. Best wishes and take please take care of yourself. Nobody else will.
Ditto ditto ditto,,,,good for you, Chuck.....Even though you emptied the fat cells, they are still cryin' "Feed me" and its tough to ignore them...keep at it.
I hope everyone here learns lessons as we all should from our friends' little "adventures". Find good docs and go to them. Take the bloody tests and get baselines...and listen to the good docs. Best wishes Phil and Chuck. 15 min. and I am off to the hemoorhoid doc but my wife and I went to my urologist today and she did the official debreifing on my prostate biopsy and on a game plan to deal with the posibility that I might have cancer...molecular tests on the cores, possible MRI, further PSA tests....and probably another biopsy down the road (biopsys are no fun but are better than dirt condos) . And if I need the critter ripped out, I will deal with it....
Just dont sit down and let medical things happen....be proactive. PAY Attention like Phil says. Never give up. GO team Colorado!
And everyone have a good thought for those fire fighters in So. Cal.
(There is no provable truth that we discussed Phil's rear end at the rally.....what is the political term? Plausable deniability? )

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Barr, I try to keep my vinous intake relatively constant. I may have a problem because I spent many years drinking fine jug wines, mostly Carlo Rossi. I have upgraded (?) to Yellowtail in 1.5 liter bottles (vs Carlo's jug). I try not to drink anything of a newer vintage than last Thursday. And I add fuel enhancers such as Evan Brooks once or twice a week.

:wine2:

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Barr, I try to keep my vinous intake relatively constant. I may have a problem because I spent many years drinking fine jug wines, mostly Carlo Rossi. I have upgraded (?) to Yellowtail in 1.5 liter bottles (vs Carlo's jug). I try not to drink anything of a newer vintage than last Thursday. And I add fuel enhancers such as Evan Brooks once or twice a week.

:wine2:
And once in a few years he will spike it with stove fuel. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Sorry Phil, but that one is just never going to go away.
If it had happened to you, I gAronTee I'd never let it go. I still think it's funny -- 'specially since I didn't go blind. :)

BTW, I saw my primary care physician today and she agrees with me and the hospitalist that my tingling symptoms were probably neuropathy. She made an adjustment to my diabetes meds that she hopes will eliminate the issue. I had lost 10 pounds in 2 months (although I can't see it or feel it), and my A1C was down to a much better number. So I'm making headway.

I see her again August and I'll be sure to ask her opinion on the therapeutic effects of stove fuel.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
So was the stove fuel premium flavored or just regular unleaded?
Sorry Phil, couldn't resist.

Brad

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Brad, it was pretty bad when it was a mixer w/ Frosty's Jim Beam (even with ice), but it was just about the worst thing I've ever tasted when I used it make a cup of Starbuck's instant coffee that Frosty gave me the next morning. First sip of that stuff got spewed about ten feet.

I'm pretty sure that it was the effect of the stove fuel on Friday night that caused me to pack my cell phone in my tent the next morning. We went crazy trying to find it, and I had my wife go to the cell phone place in Ft Morgan to get a new phone to mail to me in Alaska. Fortunately, before she got it mailed, I found it in the tent when Jim Rau and I pitched camp in West Yellowstone late Monday night.

Top Bottom