Interesting Article

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Good info for both car drivers and bike riders.
I accelerate quickly from a light to give as much space, around me, from the other vehicles. Do use another vehicle as a blocker while entering the intersection, then accelerate to create a safety space..until you get into more traffic.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
So I did that for a year and got 4 or 5 punctures in my rear tire. Why? Because the car drivers are kind enough to pick up the metal debris where their tires are, but they can't do that for us in the middle of the road.
And what they don't "pick up" they "kick up" right in to the middle of the lane...or the gutter. Riding in the center of a lane goes against everything I've ever been taught in a safety class....

OP
OP
Frosty

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
I missed that riding in the center of lane info. This is what I read.

"Why don’t motorcycle riders ride in the centre of their lane? The centre of most lanes on most roads is a no-man’s land for bikers. It’s where the oil, fuel and coolant from all the cars, trucks and buses drops and congeals. It’s slippery, and dangerous. The wheel tracks offer much more grip."

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Interesting reading Joe, thanks for sharing.

Road position to me depends completely on the road and situation. Are we talking about concrete or black top with truck ruts? Urban or rural? Crowded or empty? Straight or curvy? Flat or mountainous? Wet or dry? There are simply too many factors to generalize. But it IS important to understand and consider all the factors.

All the references to the dangers and frequency of distracted driving is scary. I've noticed that it is increasing and that bothers me. A little is bad, a little more is hard to notice and then somehow it is out of control before we know it. Our society simply isn't ready to put down their devices and just drive.

And our vehicles now facilitate distracted driving. I just got a new 2016 pick-up and I'm amazed at all the things the screen is telling me when I want to concentrate on my driving. Ya, I'm an old fogie who isn't fully digitized, but this vehicle springs a new feature on me every once in a while by talking to me while I'm driving. But it has a safety feature that won't let me back over a blade of grass in a hay field. (Hum!)

Bike
Bloom Red 2010 NT700v
Interesting read. A big part of safety for a motorcyclist is to have an escape route. Lane positioning is all about that as well as visibility. I also enjoyed the perspective on filtering.

My wife looked over my shoulder as I was reading and got a real chuckle out of the explanation regarding Why do motorcycle riders rev their engine at stop lights?

Bike
2010 NT700V
Interesting reading Joe, thanks for sharing.

Road position to me depends completely on the road and situation. Are we talking about concrete or black top with truck ruts? Urban or rural? Crowded or empty? Straight or curvy? Flat or mountainous? Wet or dry? There are simply too many factors to generalize. But it IS important to understand and consider all the factors.

All the references to the dangers and frequency of distracted driving is scary. I've noticed that it is increasing and that bothers me. A little is bad, a little more is hard to notice and then somehow it is out of control before we know it. Our society simply isn't ready to put down their devices and just drive.

And our vehicles now facilitate distracted driving. I just got a new 2016 pick-up and I'm amazed at all the things the screen is telling me when I want to concentrate on my driving. Ya, I'm an old fogie who isn't fully digitized, but this vehicle springs a new feature on me every once in a while by talking to me while I'm driving. But it has a safety feature that won't let me back over a blade of grass in a hay field. (Hum!)
I agree with Jim. As I learned while taking the Advanced Rider Course with Stayin Safe, we as motorcyclists have the ability to use the entire lane. There are many different situations that come about at intersections and we have to make our own decision where to place ourselves to be safe and visible.

Also, riding staggered is frowned upon. It pretty much locks you into one part of the lane taking away your use of the full lane to avoid hazards. Point being, ride your own ride...but enjoy being with others! Ride safe! BB

Bike
2015 R3, 2009 DN-01
I agree with Jim. As I learned while taking the Advanced Rider Course with Stayin Safe, we as motorcyclists have the ability to use the entire lane. There are many different situations that come about at intersections and we have to make our own decision where to place ourselves to be safe and visible.

Also, riding staggered is frowned upon. It pretty much locks you into one part of the lane taking away your use of the full lane to avoid hazards. Point being, ride your own ride...but enjoy being with others! Ride safe! BB

The idea of 'staggered' riding is to present a LARGER picture of people riding to other vehicles and to prevent vehicles from "entering" the formation of bikes. Nothing holds a rider to a set position during the 'whole' ride ... the rider has the option, to move to the side, to avoid a hazard. And we all know that in a curve, a rider "tends" to form his/her own line through the curve, maintaining a 'staggered' formation does not quite work well here.

Bike
2010 NT700V
The idea of 'staggered' riding is to present a LARGER picture of people riding to other vehicles and to prevent vehicles from "entering" the formation of bikes. Nothing holds a rider to a set position during the 'whole' ride ... the rider has the option, to move to the side, to avoid a hazard. And we all know that in a curve, a rider "tends" to form his/her own line through the curve, maintaining a 'staggered' formation does not quite work well here.
Here is what I learned and I ride by:

There are three riding positions within your lane

Position 1: The left tire track of a car. This is the home position, the place to be on straight roads. While in the right lane of a four lane highway to claim your lane. On a single lane road, setting up for a right hand corner to give you the best line of sight being observant of oncoming vehicles crowding the center line.

Position 2: Center of the lane. Mainly when approaching a blind hill crest to be prepared for what is ahead, called the "dead zone". Also when riding in the center lane of a six or more lane highway.

Position 3: The right tire track of a car. While in the left lane of a four lane highway. When passing you stay in the side view mirror of traffic to your right until ready to pass, then move to the center of your lane and pass in a couple seconds, especially when passing a tractor trailer, do not linger beside any vehicle if possible. Also, when setting up for a left hand corner for the best view down the road going into and through the corner.

These are not hard and fast techniques, but what I learned and practice on every ride. Every road, stop sign/traffic signal, and corner offer up different scenarios, riding experience and personal safety dictate your decisions! Ride safe. BB

Top Bottom