Riders of NT beware!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I agree with Rick, it is time to seek legal counsel.

Another "nuclear" option is the local news "Investigative Reporter". Most local TV stations have someone who would love to get a story like this to run... I think most companies fear Investigative Reporters much more than attorneys as they don't have one on retainer to bite back.

The Better Business Bureau BBB is another resource. Most dealers do not want a BBB complaint on their file...

One word of caution, the second you say lawyer you can forget about any further communication with the other party generally. It will become your lawyer and theirs doing the talking.

Igo

But things like this usually only take one letter from a lawyer. "My client tells me you've had a motor apart, under warrantee, for two months......"

StevenA

I owned a 2002 Goldwing. and yes there were reliability problems starting with the infamous "parade mode" overheating issue, and then the poor frame weld issue which resulted in my bike having to be sent back Ohio for factory repair. Honda extended engine and frame warranty and picked up my note for the time the bike was not available for my use. other than that the bike was fantastic.

by the way no leaks on my NT 700V.

Steve

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

I have another option available to me, that is I have talked to an independant shop locally.
The owner told me, that if Honda will foot the bill for parts and labor, he could have it running in a week.
And that's with all his other work coming in daily..tire changes, oil changes, etc. Should I get American Honda to go this route, or are they solely responsible for their warranty work? If it's not done at at an approved dealer will it matter to them? One thing is a given, just as soon as this debacle is over, Honda need not worry about me ever buying anything else they sell.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
That gets sticky... If you get high enough up the food chain I have no doubt "someone" at American Honda could authorize it. But, the dealer is supposed to be able to repair the bikes they sell, not cost Honda "outside" labor rate dollars, which will probably be higher than warranty reimbursement rates, and have a non-certified / approved tech doing the work to boot.

If you look at this route I would make real sure that you will have a Honda warranty when the repair is completed. Even if you plan on selling / trading the bike as soon as it is reassembled not having a warranty could cost you some money in the deal...

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

The way I see it from this end, it's cost me 10k dollars..it's worth nothing to me broken down in a shop.
Then there is the lost resale value I mentioned ealier. Sure, it's a used bike, but if I lose MORE resale because of the repair, that's an issue for legal minds better than mine. The way it stands now, American Honda will get a phone call Wednesday for a progress report, then I make the offer to my "caseworker" on the other end. Maybe it'll fly, maybe it won't.
Honda is very much aware that I am completely dissatisfied both with the product and the service on it to date.
I just can't wrap my head around them just sitting there, "too big to fail". Honda certainly failed me and my expectations.

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

Oh, I forgot the dirty details..
Selling Dealer: Southern Powersports
Us Hwy 19 S Thomasville GA 31792
Donnie Smith General Manager
229-558-9016
Servicing Dealer:
Tallahassee Powersports
4003 W Pensacola St.
Tallahassee FL 32304
850-576-6326
Service MGR Deon Lewellen

feel free to ask about their service!

Last edited by a moderator:

Igo

Oh, I forgot the dirty details..
Selling Dealer: Southern Powersports
Us Hwy 19 S Thomasville GA 31792
Donnie Smith General Manager
229-558-9016
Servicing Dealer:
Tallahassee Powersports
4003 W Pensacola St.
Tallahassee FL 32304
850-576-6326
Service MGR Deon Lewellen

feel free to ask about their service!
I've been in that dealership several times. The one in Thomasville.

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

Finally got some movement, after an outside contact. It is claimed that my ride will be ready to pick up by April 1st. I'm gonna hold them to it.
My contact repeated what the ser mgr told him...that I was a "pain in the a@@".
Let's see...66 days in the shop, no promise date, no work performed..and arrogance to boot.
to quote Ron White.."this is spinning me into a whole new dimension..."

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
Phone call from Amer Honda today. Michelle told me the bike is being worked on, should be ready by Weds of next week. About time..it's been in the shop 67 days, time it is ready, it'll be 70 days since it was taken in. Thanks for the support and advice guys..and whoever finally got the ball rolling...THANK YOU!
If you need somebody to cover your back..I got it.
But it ain't over until it's over.

Igo

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE
Phone call from Amer Honda today. Michelle told me the bike is being worked on, should be ready by Weds of next week. About time..it's been in the shop 67 days, time it is ready, it'll be 70 days since it was taken in. Thanks for the support and advice guys..and whoever finally got the ball rolling...THANK YOU!
If you need somebody to cover your back..I got it.
But it ain't over until it's over.
Well you've missed a few fine days but in reality you are getting the bike in the early days of the riding season so you didn't miss out on much. Good for you.

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

Update update update
April 1st..notified that the motor work is going slow...gee, ya think?
Now, it's the lack of a "specialty tool" from Honda to press the case bearings..
It's now at the 74 day mark, and last contact the ser manager states that it'll be ready next week. Haven't I heard this one before?
2 and a half MONTHS later, and still no bike.
Exactly how long does it take to replace an engine in these things, anyway?

OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

If it comes in a box, I'd say about 2 hours.
That is, if Honda had crate engines.
Unfortunately, they don't do crate motors, they have to build this thing piece by piece...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

thank goodness for cell phone cameras! Made a photo Mar 9th of my bike sitting in shop. Made a photo of same shop Apr 6th, (today), and nothing has been touched on the bike. I have a "*****" call in to Amer Honda, lot of good that'll do.
Honda isn't to blame for this, the dealer is. And now it's 78 days, of which I have 5 phone calls to Honda, 5 visits to a dealer that promised delivery last week. And still no movement on repairs. I need a representative to get this thing fixed, so I can sell it, trade it, whatever.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Go here and file a complaint on the dealer and a seperate complaint on American Honda:

BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU

If this thing ends up being litigated in court, it would be to your advantage to have these complaints already filed. If either business is a member of the BBB they will be required to explain why your problem has not been resolved.

Last edited:
OP
OP

sanibelkiteflyer

It's now 89 days since I took it in for an oil leak..still no bike.
This will be 90 days on Monday..and the service shop is closed.
I have been lied to, ignored, and called a buncha names.
But still no bike in my driveway..
all I get from two calls on Saturday is..."we're working on it."

Top Bottom