3-Flags Classic

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'll be leaving Greeley tomorrow morning to ride to Tombstone for the beginning of the Southern California Motorcycle Association's Three-Flags Classic Ride. I did the 2014 edition of the ride from Tucson to Harrison Hot Springs, British Columbia, and am looking forward to finally getting a long ride in 2016.

I'll be taking US-285 out of Denver and riding over Kenosha Pass, across South Park, through Fairplay, over Trout Creek Pass, and then just south of Buena Vista. I'll go through Alamosa, and Manasas (the little town boxer Jack Dempsey came from), Espanola, just west of Santa Fe, through Albuquerque, and spending a night in Los Lunas, NM, after a 500-mile day.

On Wednesday, I'll have 420 miles left to the Quality Inn in Sierra Vista. Thursday will be messing around in Tombstone, getting my 3-Flags Passport made and attending the pre-ride banquet and the rider's meeting. I'll leave Sierra Vista at about 5 on Friday morning to get to the start checkpoint by 5:30 AM. From there, the first day's ride will take me to Aztec, NM, just NE of Farmington. Saturday will take us to the checkpoint at the Harley-Davidson dealer in Green River, UT, and then I'll spend the night at a Motel 6 in Rock Springs, WY. Day 3, Sunday, the ride is to Helena, MT. On the last day, we'll ride to the Chief Mountain border crossing into Canada, through Pincher Creek, Alberta, and finish at Kimberley, BC, for a total mileage of 1893 miles.

Tuesday night is the post-ride banquet and on Wednesday, I'll be heading towards Woodburn, OR, for a visit with Eldon Cannon (Ex-Winger on our Forum). It looks like I'll be able to have lunch with Coyote Chris as I go through Spokane. Frosty will be on the road with his wife going to Crater Lake and on to Reno for the races.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Thanks, Terry! They seem to fit me. Old fat guys can't do much, but we can sit there for a long time. :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Phil, wishing you a safe and enjoyable ride. Looking forward to hearing the details when you complete your ride

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Los Lunas, NM, tonite after 501 miles and one deer. A little buck nailed me just north of Nathrop, CO, He broke off my left mirror and that cracked the black panel around the instruments. Oh, the left bar-end, a Throttlemeister, no less, is gone, too. That was all the damage to the bike.

My left hand took a good lick and is swollen. I've iced it and I am popping ibuprofen. More later, after I do the 421 miles to Sierra Vista tomorrow.

Last edited:
Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Travel safely Phil and stop playing with the deer as they do not know how to play fair ;-)

Seagrass

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Ya just can't do anything easy can you Phil? LOL, glad to see it wasn't too bad, keep an eye on it, compression injuries can be very serious even though they seem pretty superficial at first.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I agree with Mellow. Hand and wrist have lots of complex things going on in there. Take care.

Hope you can still enjoy your ride. We are waiting for your ride stories filled with your usual detail.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Phil,

I hope that buvk is bear bait and vulture food now!!

you should be able to fins some sot of a temp replacemwnt mirror and bar end at some place along the way. the duct tape I am sure you haave with you will temp fix he cracked Tupperware

I AM GLAD YOU SRAYED UP AND RODE THROUGH THE INCIDENT, t least you didn't shatter the front fender like I did three years ago!

Eldon

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Phil is deer season open there? I've never hit one but I'm sure it would scare the heck out of me. So fast, unpredictable, and certainly large enough to put you down.
Glad you are OK.

Brad

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'm semi-ok. X-rays showed 3 or4 broken bones with as many 5-6 breaks. Hand surgery is next. I've almost worked out getting the bike to the nearest Honda dealer in Albuquerque and having repairs made while I heal. I've rented a car to drive home tomorrow. more later.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Sorry to hear about your injury and bike damage, but thankful that you escaped more serious consequences. Take care.

Top Bottom