Griso alternator replacement ?

ett

With the probability of my NT being totaled.
I have to now considered addressing the issues with my Moto Guzzi Griso.
It has a few issues I'd like to address. But one of the more important, more urgent issues that needs addressing. Is it's dying alternator.

When new; and according to it's specs; the alternator was putting out 14.8 volts.
Now 110k miles later. The alternator is only putting out 13.1 volts.
I assume it's dying the same way all my other Suzuki and Honda alternators died.
Which is it's stator is burning out.

Now with my Suzukis and Hondas; or just about any other motorcycle. Replacing the stator is a cheap, simple process.
But with my Griso; although the alternator is a car style alternator.
I have been unable to find a source that can 100% guarantee to provide a correct stator without giving them the old stator.

So since the Griso is still rideable. I thought it would be easier to simply buy a replacement alternator and install it.
As opposed to removing the current alternator, take it apart, and leave the Griso unridable for days or weeks while I try to find a matching stator.
But Guzzi wants over $900 for an alternator !
While I see most alternators in autopart store for less than half that price.

So I thought taking photos of the label on the alternator to local autoparts store. Would be all that was needed to find an exact match.
However; when doing that. No one in any local store could guarantee me an exact match that would be a bolt-in replacement.
None of their replies led me to believe any of them actually knew their craft.

Should providing a knowledgeable auto parts person the following photo be enough to find an exact fitting, bolt-in replacement alternator ?

alternator_1.jpg

Thanks;
--ET

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I manage an O'Reilly Auto Parts store and I will take your numbers to work and see if I can come up with a cross. Sadly, due to the vagaries of auto parts, no one can "guarantee" anything until you set the two parts side by side and compare 'em. One other option if to remove your alt from the Goose and have a local rebuilder fix it. Usually takes only a day or two.

Mike

OP
OP
ett

ett

I manage an O'Reilly Auto Parts store and I will take your numbers to work and see if I can come up with a cross. Sadly, due to the vagaries of auto parts, no one can "guarantee" anything until you set the two parts side by side and compare 'em. One other option if to remove your alt from the Goose and have a local rebuilder fix it. Usually takes only a day or two.

Mike
What type of business or phrase would I search for in Google maps or phonebook to find a local alternator rebuilder ?

--ET

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I found a cross reference to the part number and it "appears" to be the same as the pic from eBay. The O'Reilly part # is ULT 15621 and sells for $161.99 in our market with a lifetime warranty. The pulley may need to be changed over, but that is no big deal. Hope this helps.

Mike

OP
OP
ett

ett

i found a cross reference to the part number and it "appears" to be the same as the pic from ebay. The o'reilly part # is ult 15621 and sells for $161.99 in our market with a lifetime warranty. The pulley may need to be changed over, but that is no big deal. Hope this helps.

Mike
thank you !

--et

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
I found a cross reference to the part number and it "appears" to be the same as the pic from eBay. The O'Reilly part # is ULT 15621 and sells for $161.99 in our market with a lifetime warranty. The pulley may need to be changed over, but that is no big deal. Hope this helps.

Mike
The regulator plug looks different..2 wire vs 3 wire.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I didn't look at the plug configuration. That's the problem with cross-references..... they can't always be relied upon. The OE manufacturer appears to be Denso ..... I will have to look some more...

OP
OP
ett

ett

OP here,

I may have JUST found a replacement alternator:
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=50413

My local Guzzi dealer wants $900 for the exact same part # GU05712431
So I'm rather suspicious of that link.
Either my local Guzzi dealer is trying to rip me off BIG time (I have caught them in a few lies and signs of incompetence before.),
Or that link has the wrong price listed, Or it's not the correct part.
I'll have to call the link tomorrow.

Thanks;
--ET

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
ET, based upon the ad, I suspect it is the right part. Regarding the price disparity, the dealer is selling you the genuine MG p/n GU05712431 whereas AF1 racing is selling you their part # 886255 which is exchangeable for the Guzzi part. Maybe not an apples to apple comparison, but if it does the same job with the same longevity, who cares?

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
My local Guzzi dealer wants $900 for the exact same part # GU05712431
--ET
This might fit your needs. It has the same part number but it is used.

Alternator windings in the stator or rotor rarely fail because it is just wire wrapped in a case. If the rotor or stator fail it produces 0 Vdc. I would think if you are losing voltage over time that brushes could be failing and that would be very cheap to replace once those parts are identified. I would be tempted to buy a used alternator, but known to fit, and then rebuild it to replace the brushes and inspect what other problems could be causing the voltage to be lost ....ie connectors or corrosion or oily dirt collection. Rebuild the used alternator and have it ready to go, then swap your installed alternator out at a time convenient to you. Since the alternator seems to be a weak link of the MG's, rebuild your installed alternator and keep it ready. There are lots of generic alternator rebuild/brush replacement video's on youtube.

Or you could buy a used alternator and have a auto, marine, or electrical shop rebuild it. Keep you old alternator since it so difficult and expensive to replace.

Good luck.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Not knowing anything about Guzzi's and their electrics I would check other parts also. Many times things like a bad battery point at other items being bad. I haven't seen too many stators go bad. Does the Guzzi have an external regulator? If it does I would certainly check it.

Good Luck,

Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I agree with Chris and Dan, a local rebuilder can be your best solution. Most every fairly populated area has a shop who specializes in auto electrics. Call around to some of the mechanic shops and ask them who rebuilds alternators, etc.

Mike

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
It is posted in the other motorcycle section under moto guzzi so it seems like a good place for it.

OP
OP
ett

ett

He'd probably get an instant answer from someone or two that has already been in his situation on a Guzzi forum. Those guys really know their sh!t there.
OP here,

Actually; no I don't get instance answers on Guzzi specific forums.
I usually get a lot of unrelated or vague responses; just like any other forum.
And many times some notable people on Guzzi forums; who everyone else hold in high esteem.
Wind up either simply berating me or give me advice that contradicts what they stated in another thread.

And since I just recently crashed my NT, I see many people on here talk about other motorcycles than just the NT, I've seen many wise replies in other threads on this forum, and this forum has a Guzzi section.
I thought I'd give this forum a try.

As for obtaining a new alternator.
I went with the alternator from AF1.
Now it's simply (hopefully ?) a matter of waiting a couple weeks.
(I still find it suspicious that my local Guzzi dealer wanted $750 MORE for same part.)

Thanks;
--ET

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm thinking that charlieb on this Forum might be able to give you some help. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in on this thread...until I think about it and it strikes me that I haven't seen any posts from him in the last few weeks or so. He's one of our knowledgeable wrenches and he's got an older Goose.

Top Bottom