125,446 miles and off to a new home

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/280017-125-446-miles-and-off-to-a-new-home

I know NT owners won't be excited about this, but I was. The owner put over 125,000 miles on his 2013 F800GT and traded it in on a 2016 F800GT. It says something for the reliability of the bike, and also says a lot for the bike in that he bought another of the same thing.

I was also interested in what "broke" on the bike during that time. It sounds like it was pretty reliable. Here's what he said in a thread at 100,000 miles:

If you're interested in how he got so many miles in such a short time, the answer is simple. He had a 1000 mile per week commute. Another thing I think is significant is he put the miles on in England. It's not a dry warm climate that would be easier on a bike, but much like the Puget Sound area...warm in the summer, but rainy and colder for the rest of the year.

Chris
Interesting. It has been reliable and debunks a couple of my previous thoughts.
Keep in mind though that it IS only 3 years old. Time is a factor nearly as much as distance.
I find it interesting that both sets of switchgear failed. This is a problem that BMW have had for decades and obviously have not fixed.

Macka

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I sat on one of the newest ones at the BMW dealer in Ft Collins on Monday. The clutch is too heavy for me -- considerably more heavy than the NT's. I'd be fairly confident about the reliability, but I was surprised at how many belts the guy I had used. How many have you replaced so far?

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I have been thinking recently that a belt could be a cheaper option than a shaft for a new NT.
i would not object to replacing the belt each 40,oookm.

Macka

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have been thinking recently that a belt could be a cheaper option than a shaft for a new NT.
And you'd save a good hundred pounds of weight... I've had belts, chains and shafts and I prefer being "belted" over the other two options...;)

I picked up a 2009 F800ST with 25,000 miles on the clock a few weeks ago. Needs new tires so I have not yet really had a chance to try it out yet. Once I do, I might post impressions on the F800ST thread over on "other brands."

But first, I agree with Phil, its got a heavy clutch pull. Would be a real work-out in stop and go traffic.

Also, its not a replacement for my NT.

My plan is (or was) to use the ST to replace my older SV650S. Love the SV but don't ride it much because of the riding position and narrow focus. I do expect the ST to be much more useful. But I can tell already I will miss the SV's motor. Every time I open the throttle it puts a smile on my face. The ST has more power, of course, but it does not sing like the SV.

bicyclist

I guess I never noticed the clutch pull. I replaced the belt at around 28K. It was starting to get root cracks and I was headed out on one of my long rides. The belt was easy to live with and easy to replace, but it was oem and there was no aftermarket availability. It was very expensive, costing twice as much as a Harley belt. I think I heard that there is an aftermarket source, now. I enjoyed riding the bike, but had too many issues to trust it on rides to distant parts where there were no dealers. In 2010, I visited 49 states on it, despite the fact that it spent over a month at the dealership waiting for parts on one occasion and two weeks on another occasion.

Top Bottom