150 mile towing with Continental

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I never use these tires but might next time just for the towing. Does it really mean free towing if tires are blown? Or do you wait 2 days for a truck?

Bike
2010 NT700V
You don't have roadside assistance with your insurance? As for tires, spend $10 on a plug kit to carry and buy whatever tires you please. I don't shop for tires based on some promise if failure happens.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If you are an AMA member, roadside assistance is included in your annual $45.00 membership fee. Can't find a cheaper plan and supporting our sport at the same time. What's not to like?

Mike

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I use AMA road service for an RV, it does not match the 150 miles: still a good deal for road service. And heck AMA supported no helmet laws, while encouraging the use of proper gear.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Not sure about that towing thing. I carry a repair kit and tire inflator and if that fails my insurance will cover it. However, I'm on my 3rd set of Conti-Motion tires. I don't get the miles I got with the PR's however they are only about half the cost and stick better than any other tire I've used, wet or dry, in nearly 71,000 miles. Since I really like the curves, I'd rather have that than more miles. šŸ˜

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
It makes we wonder what sort of qualifiers are in the fine print of that 150-mile towing agreement.

As I mentioned on another post from long ago, no individual company, such as Continental, has their own national fleet of tow trucks so they are all sharing the same network of independent tow truck companies and even individual truck owners. As a Continental customer, when you call into their 800-number are you at the top of tow truck companies priority or somewhere below that point?

+1 on WVRider's comment about carrying a tire repair kit and small air compressor. I've had to use it several times in emergencies, both on my own bike and to help others. As ancient as they are, I've had the best luck using black, sticky worms.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
AFAICR, I haven't had a flat that has been repairable as long as I've had my NT. In 2012, at the first NT/ST-Owners combined rally in Spearfish, I had rear tire flat that just ate Stop'n'Go mushroom plugs. After about six of them went into the tire, Frosty walked across the parking lot next to Perkins and came back with sticky worms, which got me back to the campground. I ended up having to be towed to the Rapid City Honda dealer to get a Dunlop Roadsmart rear replacement. Since then, I've carried tire repair stuff including electric pumps without having even a slow leak.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
AFAICR, I haven't had a flat that has been repairable as long as I've had my NT. In 2012, at the first NT/ST-Owners combined rally in Spearfish, I had rear tire flat that just ate Stop'n'Go mushroom plugs. After about six of them went into the tire, Frosty walked across the parking lot next to Perkins and came back with sticky worms, which got me back to the campground. I ended up having to be towed to the Rapid City Honda dealer to get a Dunlop Roadsmart rear replacement. Since then, I've carried tire repair stuff including electric pumps without having even a slow leak.
That's surprising as I have had two or three punctures and all were fixed nicely by the Stop 'n Go mushrooms. I took my chances and kept 'em in the tire 'til they were worn to replacement and nary a problem.

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mike, I had used the Stop'n'Go mushrooms successfully on two flats I had with my C10 Kawasaki Concours. I also fixed one for a friend on his C10. Both of us rode those tires for several thousand miles before we wore out the tires with no issues.

Top Bottom