1st commute report

mf1026

Rode the bike to work this morning. It is a very nice bike. Amazed at the mpg readings at speeds of 80 +/-. Picked up on Friday evening. Currently at 162 miles on the clock at work. It was 28 degrees out this morning and dont have my thermal suit yet (backordered). Just my feet and knees were bit cold other than that, I was fairly warm. Mesh Jacket/sweater/tshirt/jeans/ and double socks with dress shoes. Happy with the purchase!

lcseds

Congrats. Good report. Hang in there, the warm is coming.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Rode the bike to work this morning. It is a very nice bike. Amazed at the mpg readings at speeds of 80 +/-. Picked up on Friday evening. Currently at 162 miles on the clock at work. It was 28 degrees out this morning and dont have my thermal suit yet (backordered). Just my feet and knees were bit cold other than that, I was fairly warm. Mesh Jacket/sweater/tshirt/jeans/ and double socks with dress shoes. Happy with the purchase!
Unfortunately the mpg readings from the onboard computer are not very accurate and are overly optimistic. You will probably find it is from 5-8mpg better than what you will get when you calculate it yourself at fill up time. I also ride my NT for commuting and it is a great bike for that task.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Good news. I love this bike for the practical commute as well as the adventure trip. Glad to see that Mass is clearing up like Long Island has been for awhile. Enjoy.

OP
OP

mf1026

Congrats on the new bike. These are indeed great commuters. Where in VA are you?
Thanks, I work in northern VA (near DC) but live in Shenandoah area. So it is quite a commute for me everyday.

OP
OP

mf1026

Unfortunately the mpg readings from the onboard computer are not very accurate and are overly optimistic. You will probably find it is from 5-8mpg better than what you will get when you calculate it yourself at fill up time. I also ride my NT for commuting and it is a great bike for that task.
To be honest. I filled it back up yesterday just to see what mpg I am getting. 106 miles on 2.1 gals. 50.9 mpg the cluster avg reading was 50.8, it seems to be pretty spot on.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Good to see a second Virginia member! I am just outside of Richmond (Midlothian) and have been the lone VA member until now. I am glad you are enjoying your new NT. I've got about 1700 miles on mine over the past couple of months, between the cold spells.

Enjoy!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
50.9 mpg the cluster avg reading was 50.8, it seems to be pretty spot on.
Boy! Mine has sure never been that accurate. I think the closest I've seen was 3.5 mpg difference between calculated and indicated.

I commute with my NT about 4 days a week all year (Florida). I think it is the perfect bike for commuting if you still want to shift. I had a burgman but missed the shifting. It makes it much more fun.

Jim

Living west of Seattle and across Puget Sound, when it is warm and dry enough (anything above 40 degrees) I use my NT to commute between Port Townsend and Edmonds where I work--about 35 miles each way. The beauty of this commute is that I go to the front of the ferry line that takes me across the Sound. In the summer when the weather is nice, the wait for the ferry can be up to two hours or more. I do my 'queen' wave as I jump to the front. I'm on first and off first.

Terry

taldric

Living west of Seattle and across Puget Sound, when it is warm and dry enough (anything above 40 degrees) I use my NT to commute between Port Townsend and Edmonds where I work--about 35 miles each way. The beauty of this commute is that I go to the front of the ferry line that takes me across the Sound. In the summer when the weather is nice, the wait for the ferry can be up to two hours or more. I do my 'queen' wave as I jump to the front. I'm on first and off first.

Terry
I haven't had the chance to ride the ferry since I started riding a motorcycle again, but I'm looking forward to it. I always envied you guys getting to jump to the front of the boat!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Congrats on the commute.

I'm still working up to do my 10 mile highway commute and so was checking out the route today with an eye towards what it would be like on the moto. Usually Fridays are lighter traffic which was the case today as I came upon a line of semi trucks with the lead two being dump trucks. As I went to pass the line I noticed the occasional puff of smoke up ahead. Turns out the first one was depositing sizeable clumps of dirt from the underside of the cap ever couple hundred feet. In the car it was easy to blast thru the clouds and clods to get ahead. Definitely would have had a different tactic if I was on the moto.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Rode to work 4 out of 5 days this week. 26 miles each way in Houston, TX. Not too bad since the bikes let me use the HOV lanes on I-10 free. You get used to the traffic volume and speed. I have found the Houston drivers, at least during rush hour, remarkably courteous. Occasionally there is jerk, but mostly I am able to change lanes and maneuver safely. Key is making your intentions known.

Good luck,

Chuck

PS Hope to see you and other Texas NT riders at the TWT Pie Run in Round Top tomorrow.

Top Bottom