2008 700 final drive

Bike
2008 Bloom Red NT700V
Total newby to my 2008 700. Doing a rear tyre change and one thing leads to another. Wound up pulling out the final drive to check all the splines and drain the drive ( whilst it was out ). Upon washing out the input spline all the degreaser disappeared, only to appear in the housing. Hey presto two holes at the base beside the nut. This was the most moist joint in the drive. Am I right in guessing they are breather holes to keep the input shaft spline well lubed as they are well above the oil level when the bike is level and this spline is the only one with an oil seal. Any one else's knowledge on this part would be much appreciated.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Yes they are breather holes, I believe they allow for oil expansion as its volume increases with heat.

Seagrass

OP
OP
Rocket67
Bike
2008 Bloom Red NT700V
Yes they are breather holes, I believe they allow for oil expansion as its volume increases with heat.

Seagrass
Thank you, my mechanical knowledge is sound. But when something ( degreaser ) disappears when you're not expecting it to you wonder why. I have only had the bike 4 weeks.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
The holes allow a small amount of the gear oil in the final drive to lube the input splines. There's a seal on the back end of the driveshaft to keep it there.

You'll have to get the degreaser out of the gear case now, before reassembly. Flush it out with fresh gear oil and drain throughly.

Brad

OP
OP
Rocket67
Bike
2008 Bloom Red NT700V
The holes allow a small amount of the gear oil in the final drive to lube the input splines. There's a seal on the back end of the driveshaft to keep it there.

You'll have to get the degreaser out of the gear case now, before reassembly. Flush it out with fresh gear oil and drain throughly.

Brad
Thanks Brad, I had already drained the drive before the degreaser went missing. I then filled the drive with degreaser and flushed it out, followed by a litre of metholated spirits to get any unwanted water. The vent holes made sense but as a new bike to me I just needed to throw it out there for an educated response.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've never heard of anyone with an NT having trouble with the driveshaft, u-joints or input spline of the final drive. I've had three Honda bikes now with final drive and have never removed the final drive from the swingarm. :)

OP
OP
Rocket67
Bike
2008 Bloom Red NT700V
I've never heard of anyone with an NT having trouble with the driveshaft, u-joints or input spline of the final drive. I've had three Honda bikes now with final drive and have never removed the final drive from the swingarm. :)
I had no problems, fitted a new tyre & thought I may as well clean and re lube all the drive line seeing it's 12 yrs old.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
On my Concours C10 I used to remove the rear drive to allow clearance to easily remove the wheel for tire changes. Never had any trouble with it but it made tire changes easer for me.
Anyone know of many Connie problems with drive splines? The Honda seems OK but a little particular about the lube selection. I think the C10 had a larger gear setup which may spread the load out over a larger area.

Brad

Top Bottom