2010 NT700V with black panniers

prof98801

Had scratches on both pannier lids so sanded them both and painted them flat black to hide any imperfections. Tried uploading pictures but not sure if I did it correctly. If there are no pictures, I will keep trying different approaches.

Attachments

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
That look pretty good. I've wondered about different color combinations for the covers, especially since used large lids seem plentiful on eBay in GB, but usually not in red. I think the silver or glossy black lids would also look decent on a red NT700.... but pictures always help. Thanks

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm about to paint my 3rd set of dinged-up big lids (thus bringing to a close my personal support of the brisk market in used large panniers). My secretary's boy friend says he'll paint 'em for $40 + materials. I'm debating among the following options:

1. Honda Silver Spangle
2. a metallic black like Alex painted my 1st set of dinged ones
3. a flat black

If I chose the flat black, I've thought about rattle-can flat black or even a spray-on truck-bed liner material.

Bike
2010 red NT 700, 1985 Kaw
I think a nice SEMI GLOSS black would match the black plastic that is already on the bike. My thoughts are that FLAT would be a sheen that really does not match what exists already on the bike.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I hadn't thought about semi-gloss. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Phil,
Stay away from truck bed liners. Unless they are done professionally, they look ghastly. Flat Black is probably the easiest--you can touch up a small scratch with a Sharpie. It also looks very nice the way it compliments the black body plastic. The Metallic Black is, in my opinion, stunning. It elicits quite a lot of wow remarks. It is also something that has to be sprayed by a pro and when it gets scuffed, you are in the same situation you were with the OEM. I am very good at prep work, but that is where I stop. If my panniers get scuffed, I will probably go the flat black route.
My new right fairing is in, and I plan to get it tomorrow. I will patch and prep the damaged fairing and have my friend shoot it with Honda Red. I guess it will be nice to have a spare right fairing.

OP
OP

prof98801

That is the reason that I went with the flat black in the spray can so that any scratches would not show as if I used a glossy black. If one of the panniers get scratched like before, just take it off and paint it. One can can do a number of paint jobs for $6 a can.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
prof, You are absolutely right. A spray can and if you want to get fussy, a light wet sanding, and you have a set of panniers that free you of anxiety because you can always redo them for little expense. If the scratches are deep--fill with fairing compound, sand and shoot. Doesn't get better than that.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Krylon makes a line of paints called Fusion. It is intended for plastic lawn furniture. I used the black to paint the orange trim piece on the JCW top case. It seems to work well. The black is only gloss though.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
There are some great products out there for sure. A couple of thoughts: The prep work is what determines the final look. Paint does not cover scratches--actually it amplifies them. Body fillers are cheap and easy to apply. You clean the surface with Mineral Spirits, take a putty knife and slap on the body filler. Flatten it out the best you can. Let dry and sand smooth. Wet sand the whole pannier smooth and prime it. Spraying with a can is made 100% easier and neater if you get a can holder with a trigger (any paint store) If you don't feel comfortable spray painting, get a piece of plastic or metal and practice with a cheapo can of primer. You will spray like a pro in no time.

The reason I had a pro shoot my bags in Metallic Black is that the automotive acrylics are expensive and have to be clear coated. A pro knows how thick the color coat should be and how much clear coat to apply---That's why he is a pro. I would not mind learning from one and buying a nice spray gun. I already have the compressor. An appliance box--like one for a refrigerator, makes a great spray paint booth. It can be set up to fold away for storage when not in use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom