2012 Mid-Continent NT Rally

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Last Saturday Sam (Gandalf) and I met up in Lebanon, MO for a get together and one of the things we talked about was possibly organizing an NT rally for the midwest. This is not to take away from the Dakota rally but just to have an alternative for those folks who can't or won't ride quite that far.

The location we talked about would be Branson, Missouri located about 40 miles south of Springfield, MO.... just about smack dab in the center of the country. To see the mileage distance from your locale to Branson, follow this link.

http://www.branson-missouri.com/mileage.asp

For those of you not familiar with Branson, it is located in the heart of the Missouri/Arkansas Ozark Mountains (hills to y'all out west) and has some great riding country. Branson is home to more than 70 live music shows and is known as the music show capital of the US. Additionally, Branson has a huge number of available motels, some at really reasonable prices.

This is just in the discussion stage at this point, so I'd like your feedback on this before we proceed any further in organizing it.

If you would take a minute and answer the following questions, it will help us to decide if we should proceed further.

Are you interested in going?
Motel Preference: Economy <$50, Moderate $50 - $85, Luxury >$85
Meals: With group, by myself
Travelling: By myself, with spouse (or significant other)
Length of event: 3 day, 4 day, 5 day
Evening activities: None, music show, sight seeing ride
Daytime activity: Ride, Silver Dollar City, Poker Run, Gimmick Rallye

The reason for the questions are 1.) to ascertain participation and 2.) if enough interest is there we can put together and attractive package deal including meals, shows, activities, etc. that would be a significant savings. If you just want to relax while your there, that's fine too, just let me know.

If you would prefer to PM me with your thoughts, please do so.

Thanks!

Mike

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
I would be interested, as now you are talking a one day, easy ride. I would be traveling alone as of now, as I have not seen, nor do I know of any other NT's in South- Eastern Illinois. Although they have to be out there somewhere!
I'm interested in anything if I can get away for a few days. I may bring a couple of my non NT riding friends, though.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Put me down as a tentative, depends on time of the month, last two weeks OK, first two weeks no good.

Are you interested in going? - Yes, see above
Motel Preference: Economy <$50, Moderate $50 - $85, Luxury >$85 - Moderate, good luck with Best Western so far.
Meals: With group, by myself - Yes
Travelling: By myself, with spouse (or significant other) - By myself
Length of event: 3 day, 4 day, 5 day - For event itself no more than 3 or 4 days.
Evening activities: None, music show, sight seeing ride - Show wit the group would be fun
Daytime activity: Ride, Silver Dollar City, Poker Run, Gimmick Rallye - Pretty open

Branson is 600 miles from Houston, TX. that a long day up and a long day back with the rally in between. Makes a good weeks vacation.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
It would be a one-day ride for me (781 miles) and I love the country around Branson. There's lots to do in Branson, and plenty of good food, BUT (and this is a big "but" for me) the traffic around there is absolutely crazy. My folks lived about 15 miles south of town for 17 years and got to the point where they thought it was easier to go to Springfield for groceries than to shop in Branson...and they knew all the shortcuts and back roads.

Depending on the time rally, I might end up coming there instead of going back to the Black Hills. The Concours Owners Group is going to be in Eureka Springs, and I might go to that, even though I don't have a Connie any more ore belong to COG.

We had a COG Rally in Mountain Home back in 2000 and that worked pretty well. All we ever did at COG rallies was ride and kick tires, so tourist attractions weren't too big a deal.

If there are very many people there, more than say 10 or so, most meals work better if people find their own groups. But if there are that many, it's fun to have one banquet type meal.

Keep us posted...I'm interested.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Depending on the time rally, I might end up coming there instead of going back to the Black Hills. The Concours Owners Group is going to be in Eureka Springs, and I might go to that, even though I don't have a Connie any more ore belong to COG.

Funny you should mention Eureka Springs.... one of the thoughts I had was a day long side trip to that locale.... about 50 miles over some nice scenic twisties.

Mike

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yeah, traffic in Branson - granted, I've only been through there once - was terrible and that wasn't even what would be considered 'rush hour'.

I typically stay away from 'touristy' areas if I can, however Eureka Springs, AR wasn't too bad for a couple ST events we've done.

Also, you may want to look into nearby campgrounds as I don't stay in hotels but, just depends on who organizes it as to if they want to look for that. As a camper, I'll find a campground so no need to go the extra mile.

A lunch or dinner agenda for at least one day would be good to get everyone in the same spot at the same time.

Depending on the timing, I'll try to make it.

Once it's finalized and a new thread posted I'll close this one and use that one as the main focal point and update the site details.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I am a "probable" based upon the wife's schedule...

Are you interested in going? Yes
Motel Preference: Luxury $85
Meals: Most Lunches with group, Most dinners with just the wife...
Travelling: With wife following in her car...or maybe I'll just go "domestic" and trailer the bike out! :eek1:
Length of event: 4 day
Evening activities: Music shows
Daytime activity: Ride, Silver Dollar City, Poker Run, Gimmick Rallye Good ideas here...:D

Nomad

Unless the date conflicts with the Missouri River 340 Canoe Race, I'm in.

Motel pref: I'm fine with economy or moderate.
Meals: I'd suggest meeting for an evening meal.
Travelling: By myself, or meeting others along the way.
Length of event: 2 or 3-days (not including travel to/from event).
Evening activities: Socializing with NT owners at restaurant or bar.
Daytime activities: Area rides.

Suggestions: I suggest you have everyone check-in to the selected motel/hotel/lodge/cabin late in the day (to allow a day's ride to the event). I'd hold a brief meet and greet at the hotel and then have everyone adjourn to a restaurant for dinner. Prior to the meeting, I suggest you prepare ride maps of 5, or 6 rides (each lasting several hours); photocopy the maps and make them available to riders at the meeting, or dinner. Let guys form riding groups based on their mutual interests, experience, and riding styles (some guys will want to ride the twisties fast, others will want to "sniff the flowers"). The riding groups can find their own lunch during the day, which will allow small group bonding and the entire group of riders can meet for a combined dinner. Once you get an approximate head count, you may consider checking with some of the hunting and fishing lodges in the area to see what it would run to book a lodge. I know Gene's Trout Resort near Salesville, AR has a cabin with 4, or 5 bedrooms, each with several beds. The lodge rents for several hundred bucks a night, but divided by the group would be much less than a motel. It also has a full kitchen and large room with pool table and flat screen TV. I'm sure we could find similar acommodations near Branson, or Eureka Springs (I'd vote for Eureka Springs).

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Are you interested in going? Yes
Motel Preference: Economy <$50, Moderate $50 - $85, Luxury >$85 Luxury
Meals: With group, by myself Either
Travelling: By myself, with spouse (or significant other) Myself
Length of event: 3 day, 4 day, 5 day 3 Day
Evening activities: None, music show, sight seeing ride None
Daytime activity: Ride, Silver Dollar City, Poker Run, Gimmick Rallye Ride

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
In giving this more thought, a couple of other questions have come to mind. I know of a resort/campground that is in Branson on the banks of Lake Taneycomo (premier trout fishing!). They rent cabins where your bike would be right outside your door. Also, they have BBQ pits by each cabin, a fishing dock, a group pavillion. I was thinking that we "could" stay there as a group. A group BBQ one evening would be quite doable. How many of you would be interested in rooming with another member? The cabins are multi-bedroom and have full kitchen facilities. Also, the resort has a pontoon boat that we could rent and maybe take a lake cruise on Saturday evening. The nice thing about this place is that it is located away from the hustle and bustle of the Branson strip yet close enough (2 miles) to everything. I am also looking at perhaps early June to avoid the oppressive heat/humidity of summer...

Your thoughts?

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Mike, I know the campground you are talking about. It would be a great place. I have already roomed with other NT riders and have been in the same house with Rick one night. I think I could stand it again. If you go for early June, the earlier the better for me.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
PS..is anyone else worried about tornadoes?? Missouri copped a beating this past spring and summer (and hence my affinity toward autumn). I don't think the tornado threat is retreating anytime soon.
I live in part of Tornado Alley. I wouldn't worry about tornadoes. The only thing you can do is keep an eye out on the weather and take actions as necessary.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
PS..is anyone else worried about tornadoes?? Missouri copped a beating this past spring and summer (and hence my affinity toward autumn). I don't think the tornado threat is retreating anytime soon.
Having had my home "bracketed" several times by simultaneous storms, plenty of "near misses", and a "fringe" hit, causing over $20K in damage, by dozens of tornadoes over the last several years...No. Tornadoes are as bad in Georgia so it is nothing I would be concerned about any more their than here....

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm still doing some homework on the rally, but here's a link to the resort/campground that I am contemplating.

http://coopercreekresort.com/index.html

Everyone take a peek at their website and tell me whatcha think. I have stayed there many times and it is a great facility.

MIke

RapidRobert

I'm interested, depending on date. Given a preference I'd go with October. Far fewer crowds, plus I'd be less likely to be riding thru oppressive heat & humidity coming from Texas. But I suppose I could do early June also.

Accomodations: moderate price range for me. If it's in a cabin/camping resort like Cooper Creek mentioned above that fits nicely.

I'd prefer something in a 3 to 4 day event; 1 day's ride to get there, 1 outbound home, at least 2 days on site for riding and socializing seems about right. I've got a lot of other stuff going on in 2012, but I'd sure like to get out and meet up with some fellow NT'ers, and this is close enough to be do-able for me.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Is this idea alive or dead? I'm preparing to go somewhere. Time and place undetermined as of now.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Is this idea alive or dead? I'm preparing to go somewhere. Time and place undetermined as of now.
Not dead, but on hold for now. This is something I think would be cool, but jaust haven't had time to put it together.

Mike

Top Bottom