2013 Moto Guzzi 1400 California

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I like it and I don't know why.... LOL... very interesting... I need to win the lotto.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I can't imagine myself ever riding a cruiser type touring bike, partly because they're all so heavy, but I like this Moto Guzzi and I can't help but like the new Wing. Gotta' think they'll attract at least a few of the folks who would otherwise have been buying Harleys. (No dig against HD intended, just a recognition that they own the majority of the cruiser market).

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Dumb question: The Guzzi is very cool looking, but do your knees get as hot as I think they would? Any Guzzi owners who can comment?

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
what an interesting looking "bagger"? kudos to them for the unique styling.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Short answer is no your knees do not get warm at all. And the cylinders give a bit of protection from wind as well. The only problem on some MGs is for long legged folks. Their knees can be too close to the heads. But I think the new cali is a longer frame so that would be less of an issue.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Don't I remember that back in '99 or 2000 Cycle World named a Moto Guzzi California "Best Cruiser?"

Well, the quick answer is, "Yes! I remember that!" But is my rememberer working correctly? Anybody else remember that?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The CA 1400 touring bike isn't a cruiser anymore than the new Goldwing F6B is a cruiser. Just because it doesn't have a top case and the windshield is cut down, the new F6B is still a capable touring bike.
But Sam, Honda says that the F6B is a "cruiser" right on their website... :eek1: Look at the Cruiser section Here... Wait a minute!!! They show it on their "Touring" section as well... :confused: And the "Cruiser" 1300cc Custom Line bike is cross listed as a "Touring" model with the name Interstate just by adding a windshield and bags...imagine that! Not only is Honda copying Harley looks again, :rolleyes1: now they are copying their marketing style and making new "alphabet soup letter" models of the same bike with less features and calling it a different class!....:D :rofl1:

You can tour on any bike. Many people tour on standard bikes with an added windscreen and leather saddlebags/ the original bagger.
That is so very true, the "tags" are just marketing hype... And any smart manufacture reuses as much technology as possible across all their product lines. Look at the NC700 with a cut down car motor, that is really good "alphabet soup" cross manufacturing in my opinion...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
It vibrated that much I had trouble seeing which gate I was meant to ride out, then realised there was only one.
Too funny, I have seen a couple bikes like that... One was Suzuki Savage, a 650cc single, that vibrated like a paint mixer on over drive, the owner had solid mounted the motor because it "looked cool" shaking!

The new Cali is okay but the Norge would be my first choice for a Guzzi, I just really like that bike...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
You're right, Sam. I guess what I mean by "cruiser" is mainly the feet-forward position, and low ground-clearance characteristic of many of what we label cruisers.

docta

The new Guzzi California is causing quite a sensation here at the Retirement Home, especially since it has CRUISE CONTROL and traction control to go with ABS......looks big, strong, and Guzzi retro......just like the babes here at the Home.....though they seem to have mixed feelings about the new engine mounting system that does away with the old model's vibration.....can't wait to see one for real.....

TW

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Cruiser is definitely the feet forward and arms out kind of bike. The cali line has been like that along with the lower seat and "teardrop" looking gas tank. Funny that a lot of cali owners get seats that are higher rather than lower (like HD riders seem to do).

If you buy a new one arrange to make a weekend of it. Pick up the bike on Thu or Fri. Ride it all weekend and take it back in on Mon if there is anything that needs adjusting. If you get it from a good dealer you won't need anything except the 500./1000mi checkup. If I were to buy a new one I'd go to Moto International in Seattle or Harper's in Texas. If you're on the east coast then Rose Farm in IL. Those are three off the top of my head but there are several others that are good.

Yes, Guzzi's vibrate. Especially if they are our of synch, and many are right from the factory. A lot of dealers would not take the time to set them up right so you'd get that paint mixer sensation. Also, when stopped they seem to vibrate even more because the motion is a side to side that you very definitely feel. And when you take off from a light you notice the torque and then shaft drive raising up the rear. The newer guzzis have a CARC so the shaft effect is not as noticeable.

But, my T5 is just as smooth when up to speed as the NT is. Buzz in the bars occurs at about the same RPM (>5000), but, it is geared lower so it is not as noticeable at freeway speeds (and my T5 is almost 30 years old!!).

If you are willing to work on your own bike Guzzi's are great to own. Parts for most are easy to get and can be had overnight in many cases. Everything is easy to get to except the clutch and even that is a one weekend job. The only big jobs my bike has needed was new fork dampers (one day job), new rear seals (couple of weekends). Simple regular maintenance like valve adjustments (30min job), oil change (30 min), brake pads (10 min each) are really nice. Wheels come off in 10 min (yes even the back one).

Warranty work can be an issue, which is why when I wanted a new bike I got a Honda.

If you are interested visit the Wild Goose forum and lurk or ask around. Great bunch of folks. If you want more detailed technical advice then GuzziTech forum. You can get really expert advice in a matter of hours (expert as in many years of Moto Guzzi maintenance and factory training, including several of the dealers). That was one reason I got a Guzzi was because of the instant help available from people who really do know what they are doing.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

I saw where the MSRP in Europe for '13 the Guzzi California was 19,300 euros which translates to $25,600.........Even if I wanted one, would not pay that much EGADS!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It's not going to be that much here. Something around $15-16,000, IIRC.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
["...Honda copying Harley...making new "alphabet soup letter" models of the same bike..."]

They would have to add at least 5 or 6 letters/numbers to match Harley's bewildering model codes that take a WW II Enigma machine to decipher. The F6B (sound likes an early prototype Grumman Hellcat!) has reverse gear function removed to reduce the cost plus no hard bags, rear couch, and top case, so the MSRP is significantly lower than a full-on Gold Wing. My guess is that the typical GWRRA demographic had run its course so they needed to try something different.

Top Bottom