2013 Suzuki DL650 Wins MCN Comparo

tawilke46

The 2013 DL650 V-Strom Adventure won the comparison review in the October issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. The entire review makes good reading. The bikes in the comparison were the 2013 BMW F800GT, the 2013 Honda NC700X DCT, and the 2013 Suzuki DL650 Adventure.
Technically and performance wise the BMW was on top in almost every category but in the end the performance of the DL was very close to the Beemer. Bang for the buck value, comfort, versatility, and performance made the DL650 the eventual winner. The Suzuki and the Honda were 4k$ less than the 14K$ BMW. And the Honda and Suzuki run regular whereas the BMW requires premium, according to the manufacturer.
Another kudo for the V-Strom.:wave1:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Putting the 2013 NC700X DCT in that comparison was right up there with bringing a knife to a gunfight....

docta

The 2013 DL650 V-Strom Adventure won the comparison review in the October issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. The entire review makes good reading. The bikes in the comparison were the 2013 BMW F800GT, the 2013 Honda NC700X DCT, and the 2013 Suzuki DL650 Adventure.
Technically and performance wise the BMW was on top in almost every category but in the end the performance of the DL was very close to the Beemer. Bang for the buck value, comfort, versatility, and performance made the DL650 the eventual winner. The Suzuki and the Honda were 4k$ less than the 14K$ BMW. And the Honda and Suzuki run regular whereas the BMW requires premium, according to the manufacturer.
Another kudo for the V-Strom.:wave1:
I rode (solo) the previous generation DL650 on the two-week ride I was on in New Zealand in 2012. Equipped with a tank bag and Givi saddle bags, it offered outstanding weather protection, good (non-ABS) brakes and storage, more than adequate power, long range per tank with more than 50 MPG and was smooth and all-day comfortable while offering anvil-like reliability. It was perfectly suited to the narrow tar-and-chip roads that pervade both islands outside the larger cities. I understand that the current generation is even better. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but it may be the ultimate "if I could only have one bike" bike, based on my experience, especially in Adventure guise and with good 100% street tires, one tooth up on the primary sprocket, hand guards and a little more windscreen. Right now, my 20 year-old Givi Maxi-equipped PC800 fills that touring role nicely, supplemented by a 2013 Suzuki 650 Burgman for day trips within a couple of hundred miles of the Retirement Home. If I were bikeless and starting over, the DL650 would be at the top of my list.

TW

Last edited by a moderator:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If I were bikeless and starting over, the DL650 would be at the top of my list.
Mine as well. I do miss my 2011 old generation V-Strom as it was a very versatile bike with a very high "Fun Factor"....

Last edited:
OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

In my book the bang for the buck is what makes the Vee so desirable. A lot of fun and a great bike for the money.

I still love my NT just as much. Different bike, different stroke, and it is a Honda.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I don't understand the mix of bikes compared. An adv bike, touring bike and naked bike??? And not even in the same price range.

Wonder why they didn't choose the F800GS instead. And if that price why not the SuperTen? If the same 'size" why not Triumph?

Seems kinda dumb to me unless you wanted the Wee to win a comparison for some reason.

OP
OP
tawilke46

tawilke46

Putting the 2013 NC700X DCT in that comparison was right up there with bringing a knife to a gunfight....
Yeah, I wondered about their choice of bikes for this comparison. The Beemer being more sport/touring oriented, the Honda really more of a beginner, commuter still capable of touring and the Vee biased toward road with some off road excursions.
Like comparing apples, oranges, and grapes.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Speaking of DL650 Wees. I now have 31000 miles on my 2009 ABS Wee. It is in Sick Bay waiting for brake pads, new chain and sprockets, new drive cush rubbers and a new front tire. I just finished the 30k mile service. Valve check(no adjust necessary), plugs, oil & filter, air filter, and coolant change. 31k miles on original chain/sprockets and brake pads is pretty good in my book. I have had the bike for a little less than fours years now. Bought it new in Nov 2009. I paid $6999 for it new and have about $1500 in farkles and extras on it. I have had NO UNSCHEDULED repairs as of yet. What makes this bike so great is that I can do the maint on it myself and it needs nothing in between scheduled maint. except for gas and a rider. I have ridden it on paved roads, off on dirt roads and on jeep 4x4 trails. (I think I am getting too old for that though). It really complements my stable very well. It really is a winner up against any bike.

I am taking a trip to TEXSTOC on Wednesday (Fort Davis, Texas) I will be riding the NT700. Next Month I have a trip planned to CalSTOC in Lompoc, Calif. and the ST1300 gets the call. So the Wee gets to rest for a while. I believe that the Wee is the most versatile bike in my garage. It does every thing.

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I don't really pay attention to comparisons... 1st off, it's tough to compare truly similar bikes. This one seemed to be more in the category of engine size but if you compared true dual sport bikes to the wee it would loose every time... I am surprised the BMW didn't win that one. I will usually take the comments on a bike on a per-bike point of view and ignore the comparisons.. if I want to know what a bike is like I'll go take one for a test ride. I test rode the NCX and loved the looks and styling but did not at all like the low-revving engine, seemed more scooter-like than motorcycle-like in my mind and it is based on the Integra scooter platform... The VStrom 650 was a blast from the second I got on it so it was my choice.

The VStrom has been a good bike for me, 13,000 miles in 7 months and it's been great. It doesn't have long legs so when the speeds get past 75-80 indicated it will drink gas very fast but under that and it's got a reasonable range.

The Super Tenere was actually easier to take off road for me than the Vstrom. Even though it was 100lbs heavier it was easier to handle. I'm a novice so take that for what it's worth, very little.

The VStrom 650 is cheap to buy, cheap to maintain and cheap to ride.... but, the NCX is even cheaper from that point of view.

The bike is very fun... push the RPM past 6k and it's a blast... so I've been told.. lol

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Don't get me wrong, I think the Wee is a great bike and certainly better than the other two as an all around bike.

But, a lot of people would want the DCT for certain reasons and others have money burning a hole in their pocket and would want the touring capability of the beemer.

I for one would rather see the beemer small GS, wee, and Triumph 800 adv bike compared. Maybe throw in a KLR and KTM just for fun :D

But, I think that comparison was done before...a couple of times. And I think the wee got a lot of good points there too. IIRC the beemer got the nod for someone with more road needs and the klr or ktm got the nod for someone with more dirt road needs. The wee and Triumph were in the middle. Not surprising. The wee got the nod for the economical version of a beemer. The Triumph was noted as the hot rod of the bunch.

Top Bottom