2014 Super Tenere - First Impressions

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
I've had the Super Tenere just over a week and are getting it past the break-in cycle. I thought I'd add some initial impressions vs the 2012 bike.

To ES or not to ES?
I'm not much of a suspension-guy, I typically set my suspension and it stays there except some rear dampening/rebound adjustments based on how loaded the bike is.
So, since I also liked the Yamaha Blue color over the Matte Grey-only ES version, I went with a Std Blue. If suspension is your thing and you place a lot of importance on it,
the ES version is supposed to not only be electronically controlled but also contain upgraded components - so I've heard. The ES version also comes with heated grips that
are controlled via the new display/buttons.

The Display
The display has been radically changed. I like that you can customize what shows on screens and toggle through using the menu buttons on the left handlebar switch.

The previous version of the bike would allow you to toggle some of the display but the buttons were on the dash and it was a reach to get to and never felt like a safe action due to the reach.

The previous display was LCD looking during the day and had a more orange background at night - I prefer that lighting over the new version which is typically LCD display -
both are very easy to read however.

Gen 1 Display:

Gen 2 Display:

The Windshield
The windshield is now larger and has a 3 position tool-less adjustment. The adjustment is easy to do but if you don't line things up just right, the knobs will work loose and the
shield may drop down a little - I had this happen once and not sure if it's an issue or just me not setting it right the first time I adjusted it.

Due to the adjustment bracket, the shield does vibrate some. There's an accessory bar as part of the bracket and some have noted putting a gps there has caused some reading
issues due to the vibrations.

The shield itself does a nice job and I believe it's an overall improvement over the previous version. I will still add a spoiler to mine as I think the shield would benefit from a slight
lip / curve at the top to clear some air further over the shield.

The Seat
I'm hesitant on this one... The previous version's seat was tough after 100 miles and had a slight forward tilt to it.

I've done a 450 mile day on the stock seat so far and I'm surprised to say it wasn't bad and I was pretty comfortable, to the point that I can't believe it. I keep waiting
for it to be
the typical torture that most stock seats tend to be. There's no forward tilt at all.

The Bars
The riser design has been adjusted to put the bars 10mm closer and they feel good. I had 2" rox risers on the previous bike and those were perfect for me. So far, I'm
not feeling
the need to add risers but it may take an 800 mile day to see just how comfortable it will, or won't, be.

The Engine
I really can't tell that they changed the engine a little. It feels pretty much the same to me but they supposedly changed the Tour and Sport modes making the Tour mode
more relaxed and the Sport move more sporty... I can tell you on this version you can immediately feel the difference between the two. On the Gen 1 version of the bike I
had to concentrate to try and feel a difference and eventually I was able to but there would be times I had it in one mode and just couldn't guess which one I was in without
looking at the indicator. On this version, you can. It's been 2 years since I rode the Gen 1 and my memory is just getting worse so perhaps there's more differences here
that would be felt riding them back to back. It's a fun engine and pulls like a tractor.

A gear indicator was added and for most bikes it's not needed but this bike pulls so well in any gear and sounds the same unless it's really wound up so I does help ME in
knowing which gear I'm in. Not everyone will care for it but for me it was a nice addition over the Gen 1.

Cruise Control was added as part of the Gen 2 and it works great! It engages immediately and the +/- increments are right at 1mph.

Speedometer - guess what? Only 1 mph off on low - below 30 mph - and 2 mph off on anything over 30mph that I've noted using the Garmin gps as a check. The previous
version was more like 3-5 mph off like many bikes. It's nice that it's so close and you don't have to mentally add or subtract 5mph - I know that's not much mental power
but it's one less thing to have to think about and I love that.

The mirrors were changed to a funky shape that looks like it belongs on an Italian sport bike but I'm getting used to them, they are function and works well enough, I just
prefer something more rectangular - I may switch out with the Gen 1 mirrors as I liked those better.

The range appears to be the same from what I can see. The Gen 2 is supposed to get 43 mpg - up 3 mpg and the tank bigger 6.1 gallons up .1 gallons but the 'blinking'
around the same 180-ish mile range. Leaving just under 1 gallon. Nothing mind shattering there.

The side stand is now aluminum and the part you use to extend it is more prominent and easier to use.

Hazzard lights are not standard and it always irked me that they were not on the Gen 1 version, just one of those things I feel should be a no-brainer feature that should be there.

Conclusion
I was very close to getting a White 2013 Super Tenere that a dealer had blinged out with lots of extras. There are some incredible deals out there by dealers trying to push
the previous year models and I was never disappointed with the Gen 1, however the few changes they did were enough to push me over the edge and get a Gen 2. I don't
feel you would be disappointed with either version.

S10 Med.jpg

elizilla

Thanks for the review Joe! I wonder if the new kickstand would bolt up to the previous gen? Because that kickstand drives me nutz.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
On the prev version I got the altrider kickstand plate and it was better than the oem one for grabbing with your heel to put it down. That aluminum one is still a bit awkward.

elizilla

Yeah, I put a kickstand plate on mine too; it helped a lot.

I bet he sold the V-Strom for the same reason I keep changing up. He's fickle. :)

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
LOL.. yup, I'm fickle...

I haven't sold the vstrom yet - but it is for sale.

The Vstrom is a great little bike and does a lot well but just a little cramped for me and since I do a lot of slab riding to get places many times it's not quite as good at that as the Super Ten is. I feel they are comparable off road so this option works better for me. I had one before so that also helped me make up my mind.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Should have test ridden an Explorer! :)

Funny that you went back to the bike you got rid of. Grass is always greener, I suppose. Sounds like some good improvements over the prior model. Yamaha is putting together some pretty terrific bikes lately. Enjoy!

And I can't help but comment - no more jesse bags. I see you got Givi's Trekker Outbacks. Those are the ones I'm still pondering. What are your thoughts on those compared to others you've tried, such as the Jesse's or any others? If you've already reviewed them I must have missed it.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Should have test ridden an Explorer!
The Triumph was high on my list but around here they just don't deal... the Yamaha folks will. I was still on the fence about the Triumph too given some issues but no bikes are perfect and the Yamaha has it's share of issues as well. I was hoping the Vstrom 650 would 'be enough' but it was an experiment and it just wasn't 'enough' for me so I went back to the Super Ten as all the little nit-picky things I didn't like about it, Yamaha addressed....

I see you got Givi's Trekker Outbacks. Those are the ones I'm still pondering. What are your thoughts on those compared to others you've tried, such as the Jesse's or any others? If you've already reviewed them I must have missed it.
The Outbacks seem like good bags. The racks are more sturdy than some previous givi racks I've had experience with and I like top loading bags. The Jesse bags are still 'the ones to have' IMO.. but, I just decided to save a little $$ by getting the outbacks instead. I would like the OEM bags but they are more and I don't think as good.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
The Outbacks seem like good bags. The racks are more sturdy than some previous givi racks I've had experience with and I like top loading bags. The Jesse bags are still 'the ones to have' IMO.. but, I just decided to save a little $$ by getting the outbacks instead. I would like the OEM bags but they are more and I don't think as good.
I like Touratech's but they're way too expensive for what I'm willing to pay so I've been looking hard at the Outbacks because I really like the look of them, and I want top loading. The Explorer's OEM panniers are good, but they're plastic, heavy, and side-loading. Their locking and attachment mechanisms are very good, simple, and fast. I know I'll miss that aspect if I get something different.

Did you give any/much consideration to the new 2014 Vee 1000?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Did you give any/much consideration to the new 2014 Vee 1000?
I did but it's still too new.. the Super Ten was in Europe for a couple years before coming to the U.S. so a few things were worked out.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My brother got the Tourtech for his beemer and really likes them. Yes, expensive, even for him.

Me? I think spending over $500 for cases is a bit much, so am satisfied with my ammo cans at $20 ea :D :D :D But, they don't hold a full face helmet. They can be used to set the bike on its side and work on it though :) And no need for crash bars in the rear to protect the cans :)

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Thanks for the review Joe. Still wanting an SupTen here. I am still saving money for changing houses and so far I have been able to stay focused on that. There are some days that it is so tempting to just go do it. For the riding I do and plan to do with an ST, I think I am going to get the pretty blue one as well. I already have one grey bike and vowed not to get another. The grey DR is great and a keeper, just hate the hard to see bland grey.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
One question Joe: On the outback bags, did you use the same givi rack as for the 10-13 ST? On twisted throttle most parts say "11-", but rack says "11-13". The outback panniers look to be a good price/performance purchase. Thanks

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The outbacks use a new CAM rack that is different from the other monokey rack/systems.

The 2012-14 bikes are pretty much identical except the ES version has some extra stuff on the right side that some racks have issues with.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Description and pictures sound like Yamaha lifted the controls from the Gen III FJR's.

Not a bad idea, actually. Why reinvent the wheel.

Because I wasn't interested in a Super Ten, I didn't look really close at one when I had the chance. What is the seat height.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Actually, the controls stared on the 2012 super tenere and then were added to the FJR, then the FJR got the ES version and they duplicated some of that over to the Super Ten so yeah, Yamaha was very smart in using similar electronics if not identical.

Top Bottom