2023 Honda Transalp

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
It looks like it has the makes to be a great bike.

However, I am holding out for Honda's Electric models projected to be available in 2024 or 2025.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Are those tubes inside of tubeless tires???? That's a non starter for me.... other than that, it is an interesting concept. 90 horse in a light package. it will be interesting to see the specs if this shows up in the US. Smaller is better I think. There seem to be lots of young ladies who tour around Japan on lightweight bikes...and in Japan, that is probably all you really need as the distances are short and the speeds low....Ruriko is back on the road touring southern Japan on her Hayabusa but most have smaller bikes. This lady has 230k followers
a girl 2.jpg
a girl.jpg

OP
OP
Bike
2010 silver NT700
Unfortunately it does have tube type tires. The Africa Twin has tubeless. I have a mint low mileage 87 Transalp and ride it a lot.....I love it. I understand why those bikes had a large following. The new one has almost double the HP of mine. The new Hornet may find a home in my garage. :)

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Unfortunately it does have tube type tires. The Africa Twin has tubeless. I have a mint low mileage 87 Transalp and ride it a lot.....I love it. I understand why those bikes had a large following. The new one has almost double the HP of mine. The new Hornet may find a home in my garage. :)
I want to speak to you about sending down all that cold air tonight! :rofl1:
I am 73 and I love my 800 Interceptor VFR for its light weight. My Wee Strom is nice and light but tall...right now that is just a PITA.
If someone brought out a bike that appealed to me, I would probably trade in the FJR before getting rid of those two....
In my old age, I see shorter days and slower speeds and even more back roads.....
This particular bike...the AT, is not speaking to me.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I'm not looking for a new bike now but tubes in tires would be a no go for me.
I picked up a nail in the rear of the Versys the other day. Noticed it in the garage. A tube can change that into a dangerous blowout or quick flat instead of a slow leak that is more manageable.

Arknt

OP
OP
Bike
2010 silver NT700
I want to speak to you about sending down all that cold air tonight! :rofl1:
I am 73 and I love my 800 Interceptor VFR for its light weight. My Wee Strom is nice and light but tall...right now that is just a PITA.
If someone brought out a bike that appealed to me, I would probably trade in the FJR before getting rid of those two....
In my old age, I see shorter days and slower speeds and even more back roads.....
This particular bike...the AT, is not speaking to me.
We had an abundance of cold air, so we thought we would send some down to cancel all that hot air from the midterms. :)
I get where you are coming from with high seat heights. I am 77 and have a 30" inseam. That is why I traded my VStrom 1000 in on an NC 700 in 2013. I sometimes miss the power of the 1000, but other than that, it was a good change. I use to get a new bike every couple of years, but with the market geared to 800lb adventure bikes, nothing much appealed to me. The Hornet has possibilities if they are available.
VFR's are a pretty a sophisticated ride. I still have an 86 that I bought new.....it feels like a rocket above 8000 rpm. The brakes are nowhere new the caliber of yours. I understand your attachment to yours.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I'm not looking for a new bike now but tubes in tires would be a no go for me.
I picked up a nail in the rear of the Versys the other day. Noticed it in the garage. A tube can change that into a dangerous blowout or quick flat instead of a slow leak that is more manageable.

Arknt
I saw someone with my own eyes in the last century go down with a pax on their bike due to a sudden deflation on a freeway entrance ramp. No helmets, Thankfully, they didnt hit their heads. I was talking with my bike service shop after getting them to put on a new tire on a rim and they said I would NOT like to know what they would charge me if the bike had a tubeless tire with a tube in it.........Just say no to bikes with tubes. In the last century, when tires were soft and didnt last, I changed my own as they all had tubes. It an be done of course but you have to be really careful. There is no reason on earth a bike of 90 HP should have this kind of setup.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
We had an abundance of cold air, so we thought we would send some down to cancel all that hot air from the midterms. :)
I get where you are coming from with high seat heights. I am 77 and have a 30" inseam. That is why I traded my VStrom 1000 in on an NC 700 in 2013. I sometimes miss the power of the 1000, but other than that, it was a good change. I use to get a new bike every couple of years, but with the market geared to 800lb adventure bikes, nothing much appealed to me. The Hornet has possibilities if they are available.
VFR's are a pretty a sophisticated ride. I still have an 86 that I bought new.....it feels like a rocket above 8000 rpm. The brakes are nowhere new the caliber of yours. I understand your attachment to yours.
Actually, the rear brake is worthless on the 2015 VFR. I swear if I try and use just it the bike speeds up! It really needs linked brake system.
Frosty and I have fond memories of a BMW rally in Kaslo at the park. 2017
BMW Chris.jpgBMW JimChrisDuncanMartinJudyVikiLarryRon.jpgBMW Judy Ron and Larry.jpg

OP
OP
Bike
2010 silver NT700
Sorry I didn't see you guys at the campground. I was well aware of the NT700, after seeing them at the Spokane bike show. I tried to buy one at CDA Honda, but had to register it in WA. and pay the taxes. Then I would need to pay 12% tax at the border on the full amount including the Wa. tax. It just was not viable cost wise. I finally found one at a dealer in BC with 10k miles in 2019 and grabbed it.
I am not a Kaslo native, and retired here from N. Vancouver in 2001. I brought 8 bikes with me, one of which was a new 2000 VFR.
Besides the great motorcycle roads, it is a safe and friendly town with no crime.
Being close to the border, I developed a lot of close friendships with riders from Idaho and Washington and spent a lot of time down there. I love the USA.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Sorry I didn't see you guys at the campground. I was well aware of the NT700, after seeing them at the Spokane bike show. I tried to buy one at CDA Honda, but had to register it in WA. and pay the taxes. Then I would need to pay 12% tax at the border on the full amount including the Wa. tax. It just was not viable cost wise. I finally found one at a dealer in BC with 10k miles in 2019 and grabbed it.
I am not a Kaslo native, and retired here from N. Vancouver in 2001. I brought 8 bikes with me, one of which was a new 2000 VFR.
Besides the great motorcycle roads, it is a safe and friendly town with no crime.
Being close to the border, I developed a lot of close friendships with riders from Idaho and Washington and spent a lot of time down there. I love the USA.
Funny story. Someone had brought some special burritos , home made, or some such item and had them in a cooler for everyone outside of their tent. It was stolen that night! LOL!

Top Bottom