271 Miles on a Tankful of 87

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The most I've ever put I've ever put in the NT has been 4.967 gallons. The needle was just barely above where it is when the switch is turned off.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
When I ran out (on my first tank of fuel on my way home after picking the NT up from the previous owner) the needle seemed to be where it is before you turned the ignition on.

My memory is a bit vague as it was my first tank of fuel, it was approaching dusk and I had been riding for about 250 miles that day after an early start, a 500 mile flight and a three hour bus trip!

There was absolutely no warning I was about to run out fuel. I was thoroughly enjoying the ride and looking forward to arriving at my destination for the day in about ten minutes time. Next thing I knew the engine cut out and as I knew I was low on fuel, I was well aware of what the problem was. Thankfully the friend I was staying with that night came and rescued me.

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I agree with Phil about the shape of the tank being a key factor in how fast the gauge needle starts to drop. One thing I've noticed about the fuel gauge is its complete accuracy when it registers 1/2 tank. I filled up once at that point and it took 2.6
gals which is exactly half of full capacity of 5.2 gals.

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Just filled up at 297.1 miles and it took 4.871 gallons. Just short of 61 mpg. Gas gauge was no more than 2 needles width below E, and it had been there for at least 40 miles. Would have tried to get to 300 but thought I felt the engine stutter going up a hill from a stop, so that was enough of that. Mostly 45-55 mph country roads.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I agree with Phil about the shape of the tank being a key factor in how fast the gauge needle starts to drop. One thing I've noticed about the fuel gauge is its complete accuracy when it registers 1/2 tank. I filled up once at that point and it took 2.6
gals which is exactly half of full capacity of 5.2 gals.
I've noticed this, also. Right on at 1/2 tank mark.

Top Bottom