2nd Lost Bar End

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I lost my 2nd throttle side bar end this week. Some where there are two bar weights littering the side of some road. Doubt if I'll find them.

I had used blue loctite but upon reflection I had noted that the fastening screw had not gone in very far before presumably spinning. There was a bigger gap between this bar end and the grips than on the clutch side. I'm hoping that Katherine will read this since I think I'm going to have to remove the internal weight mechanism and seat it better so that it doesn't twist around when I'm screwing in my 3rd bar end?!?!? I was just looking at her Twisted Throttle how to piece and believe it holds the key, but I'm looking for guidance or reassurance from the master or mistress(somehow this doesn't have the same meaning:doh1:) I'm open to other opinions as well. I don't want to lose a third one....

BTW, what's the purpose of these things? I notice no difference in handling. My cruisers never had these things.

oldyaler

Bar end weights originated in road racing. In the event of a crash they prevented the throttle from getting stuck wide open and kept the grip ends from being torn off and the bare bar end injuring the rider. They also to a small degree reduced vibration. Cruisers have their own version- the chrome end caps-but they're more for decoration.

Last edited:

elizilla

Rick's said what I would say, but I'll add a little bit:

If the internal stuff is turning and preventing you from properly tightening the bar end, you might need to replace the retaining ring because its tabs are too flattened. Also if this is the case, you can screw the screw into the bar end, without the weight, screw it in a half inch or so and then use it to pull, and the stuff inside the bars should come out pretty easily for your inspection. Which is worth doing just so you can understand it. I know I always feel kind "here be dragons" about parts I've just read about online and never handled myself. There are no dragons in there, see for yourself. :)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Those internal retainer rings/w tabs are wimpy and I'd consider them "one time use" items, when and if the bar end weight is
removed.

bicyclist

If you take off the weight and look at the end of it, you'll see a projecting half circle. It mates up with a similar half circle on the internal piece. When you put the weight back on, turn the screw in part way and then rotate the weight until you feel it mesh with the internal weight. Then hold it to keep it from turning and tighten the screw. You shouldn't have any further problem even if the retainer ring isn't seated in the hole. It takes a pretty good yank to get those internal pieces out. As long as the weight is firmly screwed to the internal piece, it should stay there.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Herb, you said, "I'm looking for guidance or reassurance from the master or mistress(somehow this doesn't have the same meaning:doh1:)".
Try this formulation: "I'm looking for guidance or reassuance from a masterful mechanic..." or "I'm looking for guidance or reassurance from someone who mastered the spectrum of NT wrenching."

OP
OP
Herb
Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Herb, you said, "I'm looking for guidance or reassurance from the master or mistress(somehow this doesn't have the same meaning:doh1:)".
Try this formulation: "I'm looking for guidance or reassuance from a masterful mechanic..." or "I'm looking for guidance or reassurance from someone who mastered the spectrum of NT wrenching."
I knew I could count on our minister to help me navigate the vestiges of our sexist, patriarchal language.... :)

Looks like I'll be exploring the unknown dragon inside my right handle bar this afternoon. It will be good practice cuz I'm considering real heated grips to replace my hot hands for next winter. Plus I don't want to lose another $20 bar end!

Kudos to Rick! You've done very well on your apprenticeship to the "masterful" mechanic. Isn't this site the best. What a community for learning. Gives goose bumps to this aging teacher.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I knew I could count on our minister to help me navigate the vestiges of our sexist, patriarchal language....

Yea, verily, my son. Confess your sins and receive absolution. Then go and sin no more. :)

I'm glad I was lucky (there's no way anything involving skill was involved) in installing my Throttlemeister. Plus I'm glad my dealer gave me the 15% discount on all the Honda accessories I bought from them. I wish they'd had the big lids. Oh, well...
I got out the door for $128 for the heated grips.

BTW, have I mentioned that the Hondaline grips serve as a undervoltage condition warning system. When you're pulling more volts (amps? watts?) than the alternator is putting out, the LEDs on the switch blink. I can run my Denalis, heated grips on high, heated jacket somewhere in the lower 1/3 of its range, and low beams without making them blink at an idle. High beam starts them blinking. Any rpm over 1500 stops that.

taldric

I have the Twisted Throttle Oxford heated grips and love them. They too have under voltage protection and will turn themselves off if the power drops below a certain point.

Top Bottom