8000 Mile Maintenace Report

Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
Did the 8K maintenance. Here is what I found that others may want to look at during the every 8k maintenance.
1. Had a small coolant leak and my level was slightly below the low level mark on the overflow tank. The only evidence of a leak that I could find was at the overflow hose connection at the radiator cap. There were stains and some blue-green coolant residue on the hose clip closest to the radiator cap. See pic. The hose was flaring out from being to far up the fitting and the clip was to far up to help seal it. I clipped off ~1/4" of flared out hose, cleaned everything, and now hoping for the best.
2. O-ring on the bottom of air cleaner housing were damaged due to being installed with a twist in it. Honda doesn't have a good part number. Spliced two o-rings to replace the damaged one. There is another thread on this topic.

Of interest, no valve adjustment was needed. All that for nothing.

I don't have huge hands, usually wear medium gloves, but still wasn't able to find a method of measuring front cylinder exhaust valve clearances. Luckily my wife has hands smaller than most 4th grade girls. She also has less strength than most 4th grade girls and was no help pushing bike onto my ghetto platform.

I removed both middle cowls for easy access and used it as an opportunity to clean everything under the plastic. This may have been excessive, but was easier to see spark plug area, and was able to loosen front throttle body band clamp with a straight nut driver. Also replaced original spark plug caps with the improved caps that don't overheat.

Found the mysterious 6" foam rubber strip if the right side middle cowl doing nothing, and re-glued it around the turn signal similar to the left side.

Air filter was cleaner than expected at 8000, but I replaced it early since I was in there. The air here in Western Washington is pretty dust free, usually full of rain.

I spent a lot of time putting motorcycle on a ghetto stand, taking pictures of every disconnect (handy for the absent minded during reconnection), reading procedure, re-reading procedure, coffee, removing extra interference, cleaning areas before opening, blah, blah. Took me ~ 8 hours working alone. Next time could easily cut time in half. I'm slow :turtle:but it started first try when finished, no lost screws, no scratched paint, Success.:)

Tires, there next. I can't have more than 500 miles left on originals.

Attachments

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[no valve adjustment was needed...and was able to loosen front throttle body band clamp with a straight nut driver..."]

At least you now know the clearances are OK and not relying on what some other poster may have mentioned. I believe the service manual recommends the radiator be removed or at least unbolted to gain more clearance to check the front cyl exhaust valves. I was able to do it without bothering the radiator by coming in from the sides but it wasn't easy.

I read on the Deauville UK site that merely flipping the band clamp (screw head faces left) for the front cyl throttle body will make it easier but haven't tried that yet. I'm waiting for real winter to come to OH then I'll take care of maintenance. At 18k, I do have a few loose valves as I can hear them clicking when the engine is cold.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The 8,000 mile service revealed my values did not need adjusting either. However, I paid a LOT of money for that information.
Paul
I don't know about you but 8 hours of my time is worth a lot of money to.

Top Bottom