A Change in My Riding Style...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
...occurred today. I have never had bike-to-bike communication. I haven't had music since back before I got my NT in '10. I used an iPod for a couple of years, but decided it was more hassle than it was worth.

But that has changed. A friend bought a Cardo Packtalk Slim. Before he got around to installing it, his window of time to return it ran out. And then when he did try to install it, it turned out that a Packtalk Slim couldn't be mounted on his helmet. Since he couldn't return it he gave it to me. My Shoei Neotec 2 is not one of the helmets that Cardo says it will fit, we found a Youtube post that showed a guy in England mounting one to his Neotec 2. So today my friend came over and I helped...by watching :) while he did it. It didn't take too long. After he mounted it, we got it working and meshed it his with helmet's Cardo Packtalk Bold. It was amazing! It was like he was in my head.

We paired it to my phone and he called me and we could hear each other as well as we could when the helmets were meshed. I'll pair it with my GPS before I ride (still at least a week and half away since I'm waiting on my appointment to get all my wiring straightened out and my forks serviced.

I'm still not sure how much music I'll listen to, but I'll enjoy being able to talk to riding partners and make phone calls home while I'm riding. If the GPS gives me direction as often as my iPhone does when I'm using it for directions in my car, the GPS will be muted.

1621747996499.png1621748072196.png

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
Good score Phil and it seems it will be a great asset for you while you ride.

I am still happy to be in my own head while I ride and I nearly always find myself singing along to a song. I am singing in my head as with a voice like mine it would be quite off putting if I was actually singing.

Good to hear you should be back to riding soon.

Seagrass

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've always been happy to be in my own head, too. Chances are most of my music will still be the same parts of the same song that I'm singing to myself. And like you, I'm grateful that no one else can hear my voice!

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Deb & I have been using bike-to-bike communicators for around 8 yrs. At first we had Cardo units and about 4-5 yrs ago switched to Sena units and I picked the Sena model that offered FM-radio. I keep the FM tuned to the local NPR station and the Sena has limited reception range so when that station's signal gets too weak, I turn it OFF. Changing stations on the fly can be a real pain so I never even try. And I have no interest in taking/making a phone call while riding or while driving my car!

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I've got the N-Com with my Nolan and love it. Music is OK around town but at highway speeds the wind noise overwhelms the music. When my son and I ride together the ability to communicate is wonderful.

Mike

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
...occurred today. I have never had bike-to-bike communication. I haven't had music since back before I got my NT in '10. I used an iPod for a couple of years, but decided it was more hassle than it was worth.

I'm still not sure how much music I'll listen to, but I'll enjoy being able to talk to riding partners and make phone calls home while I'm riding. If the GPS gives me direction as often as my iPhone does when I'm using it for directions in my car, the GPS will be muted.

dependign on the app, you can make the GPS give too much or basis instructions only .... I use waze and it is ok as long as you are not in a crowded city ...

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I find for myself that life is best when you have choices, having com gives me that.

Gabe

Tek Monkey
Bike
2011 Black Honda NT700VA
Been out on a few rides where the comms were REALLY handy. Examples include:
- Alerting rider(s) of a road hazard without taking your hand or leg off your bike and distracting yourself
- Alerting other rider(s) of a vehicle passing with dangerous behavior, or a distracted driver
- Helping with directions, or being helped with them
- Coordinating for say a stretch break, meals, gas, or any other pit stops
- Checking on a rider out of sight but still in radio range
- Alerting the group / other rider(s) when you have a problem with your bike, or if they have a problem on their end
- And lastly, helping newer riders such as myself with tips like approach angles, turns, acting as a live riding instructor (both in front of and behind) - real time critique goes a long way!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
If the GPS gives me direction as often as my iPhone does when I'm using it for directions in my car, the GPS will be muted.
Dunno which GPS/satnav you have there, but I find navigation voice-prompts most valuable in matters of safety (my original motivation to install an intercom back in '99...)
You can keep your view out on the road ahead, the audio alerts you exactly when the turn screen/zoomed graphics are displayed, so no guesswork, turning too early or having already missed it... proper, advanced en detail route planning ensures an easy, relaxed and pleasant experience...
(nothing compared to risky peeks down on the card-holder on your tank-bag, trying to decipher where you are, where to go...)
In matters of bike to bike (hell, even onboard with a pillion) I have a strict policy on radio-discipline: keep it to the absolute minimum, always...
Keywords like fuel, coffee, food, left/right, leak... that's all what's required down the road...
Phone is a no-go for me, tried it (I was tech support), found that people are just ruthless, never connected it again (I had even bought an extra GSM for permanent installation)...
Can't stand having to pull over every couple of minutes, having to listen to some yadda-yadda...
Tunes are fine for keeping you mentally alert on long hauls, a proper playlist given of course, nothing too aggressive, nothing demanding, nothing lulling... and not too loud, you still want to sense other vehicles in proximity...

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
You folks who can hear (read understand) audio in your helmet audio systems are fortunate. I have tried a few and I'm unable to understand any of them with my hearing loss. What I hear is something like "turn left in ???? onto ??????". Using my hearing aids inside a helmet is not workable. In my pickup I can connect my hearing aids to the GPS via Bluetooth to hear the audio directly into my hearing aids and that works fairly well. But I always have my phone GPS on and in a holder that I can view for a visual backup. There is no "repeat" feature on any GPS that I've seen.

I tried a TomTom Rider which I bought from "dealer" on this forum. I paired the TomTom to a bluetooth device that I could plug into custom molded ear phones to hear the audio. It did work, but it was still difficult to understand and a real PITA to get helmet on/off with the ear molds in. Worse yet TomTom never made any software that allowed me to use it with my Mac computer so programing routes was impossible. I gave it away. Paper maps are my "go-to" and they always work (except in hard rein).

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
What I hear is something like "turn left in ???? onto ??????".
Well, also there I'm (fortunately) on the simple side, as my plain, old Quest-I sounds "... in XXX meters turn left/right...", and this from a very clear voice file...
Newer models have that "feature" of yadda-yaddaing street-names too, which is absolutely irritating gobbledong...

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
After we got my Cardo installed, my friend and I "meshed" our two units and he walked down the street. If I can hear half as well as I did Sunday once I get on the bike, I'm going to be able to hear better than I do most of the time when Joanne are watching TV before I put in my hearing aids.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I don't use speakers. Thanks to Rick Ryan, who turned me on to "Etymotics" brand earbuds. For about $60 I have a pair of earbuds that sound like I'm in the studio with the musicians

I purchased a blue tooth unit for my helmet several years ago and love it. One of those things I‘m very happy to have added and wonder why the heck I didn’t get one earlier.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I purchased a blue tooth unit for my helmet several years ago and love it. One of those things I‘m very happy to have added and wonder why the heck I didn’t get one earlier.
I like my blue tooth and sometimes I do listen to music but not often. The problem with pairing with Frosty is that I sing and whistle. That ended that.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
After my helmet communication system died I bought blue tooth noise canceling Snug Phone ear buds. Used primarily for listening to my iPhone GPS and on occasion to music. Paid about $59 for them. They fit in the ear deep enough that nothing protrudes that interferes with putting on my helmet. The rechargeable battery lasts 8-12 hours depending on the volume. Of course you can’t communicate with others but I mostly ride solo so that is not an issue.

Top Bottom