A few questions before having the 600 miles service.

prof98801

My 600 mile service is still a ways off but I do have some questions surrounding the service.

1. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't our manual say to change oil and filter at the 8000 mile mark after the 600 mile service? I was going to change at 4000 miles.
2. Do any of you switch to semi-synthetic or full synthetic oil after the 8000 mile oil and filter change? I was going to stay with the Honda Pro GN4 10w40.
3. My bike idles at about 1000 RPMs when fully warmed up. Is that about right? When I first start it up the idle is about 2000 RPMs.
4. I did get a response back from a manufacturer on the gear indicator and they have one that would fit the NT. Have any of you felt a need for this?
5. How close to empty on the gas tank gauge have you gone? Was wondering how accurate they might be. I was down to a little over a 1/4 tank and when filling, I put in 2.8 gallons.
6. Never had so many questions before with my MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE bikes.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
My 600 mile service is still a ways off but I do have some questions surrounding the service.

1. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't our manual say to change oil and filter at the 8000 mile mark after the 600 mile service? I was going to change at 4000 miles.

That is waht I am going to do also. Untill I go to synthetic oils
2. Do any of you switch to semi-synthetic or full synthetic oil after the 8000 mile oil and filter change? I was going to stay with the Honda Pro GN4 10w40. At the 4k mile oil change I am going to switch to synthetic
3. My bike idles at about 1000 RPMs when fully warmed up. Is that about right? When I first start it up the idle is about 2000 RPMs.
Mine does the same
4. I did get a response back from a manufacturer on the gear indicator and they have one that would fit the NT. Have any of you felt a need for this? Neat farkle, it is on my list both for my NT and my ST, and maybe the Wee.
5. How close to empty on the gas tank gauge have you gone? Was wondering how accurate they might be. I was down to a little over a 1/4 tank and when filling, I put in 2.8 gallons. I am at 215 miles on this tank and the guage is about 1/4 in the red reserve.
Don't worry, Just GO RIDE
I hope this helped you.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
On the fuel level gauge, mine seems to drop much faster the last 1/2 tank and esp last 1/4. Drops fast so don't push it too much till you are sure you have enough fuel.
Also I have heard it is not a good practice to normally run tank too low because the fuel acts as coolant for the fuel pump mounted in the tank.

ARKNT

Bike
Silver NT700V

I will likely stick to the manual since I have a maintenance agreement that covers unlimited service per the book for three years.

2. Do any of you switch to semi-synthetic or full synthetic oil after the 8000 mile oil and filter change? I was going to stay with the Honda Pro GN4 10w40.

Will probably stick to the Hinda oil.

This is that same a I am seeing. Warm engine idle is about 1100 RPM.

4. I did get a response back from a manufacturer on the gear indicator and they have one that would fit the NT. Have any of you felt a need for this?

Gear indicator would be neat bt is far down on the farkle list. I had one instance when I thought the engine felt "buzzy" but found I was running 70 in 4th gear. I occasionally lose track and try to shift up from 5th. No big deal really.

5. How close to empty on the gas tank gauge have you gone? Was wondering how accurate they might be. I was down to a little over a 1/4 tank and when filling, I put in 2.8 gallons.

I have nearly buried the fuel needle twice. The first time it took 4.2 gallons to fill indicating a gallon left based on the book. The second time it took 3.8 gallons. So when the needle is down you are into the reserve. I think I will revert tio my old habit of using the trip meter to regulate fuel (old bike did not have a fuel gauge).

The only problem questions are the ones not asked.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Prof,

I'm like Chuck. I'm going to use the tripmeter to monitor my fuel needs. 200 miles is almost always (barring strong headwinds) a comfortable distance. I'll stretch that to 220-230 without too much anxiety.

CoolNT

On the oil, if using standard i.e. dino, I'd change it every 4K vs. what the manual states due to break down properties of dino oil. Now, on the other hand, with synthetic, you could go every 8K but I wouldn't go past 12 months if you haven't ridden the bike at least 8k.
I, like Chuck, am planning to use synthetic at the 4K mark.

Top Bottom