A Headlight Gotcha

Id4rob

When taking off for my morning drive to work last week at 5:30 am, I didn't even get through our cul de sac before I realized I had not headlight. I went back to the driveway, stopped, toggled the highbeam and tapped on the light, but it was no go. I popped the seat and checked to 20A fuse but it was good. So, I parked it on the garage and jumped in my truck.

Saturday I started pursuing the lengthy and time-consuming process of removing almost all plastic forward of the seat in order to access the headlight. In retrospect, this was a lack of good judgement. After all, what's the likelihood of both bulbs going out at the same time. Anywho, after an hour and a half or so, I get to where I can test both lights with a jumper. Both are good.

Next item up for bid is the relay. So, I begin taking off more if the remaining plastic. I manage to remove the relays without fully removing the left saddlebag. I check the operation of the relay. Sure enough, it cycles. Now when I check it against the test procedure in the Honda shop manual (the one from Honda), their relay testing procedure is incorrect. This caused me some delay as I began to question my knowledge of such things.

After reassuring myself of the accuracy of my knowledge, I sat on my Summit Racing roll-around stool cussing and trying to figure out what I had missed. To help, I took a look at the wiring diagram thinking I may have missed something. That's right! On newer cars and motorcycles when you hit the started, current to the headlight is interrupted so you have full power to the starter. From my stool, I reached up to the right handlebar with my right thumb, punched the start button a few times, turned the key and wheeled around to the front. Voila! Headlight is on.

Hopefully, you will have read this before experiencing a similar carbon buildup on the N/C contacts if your start button.

skiper

Thanks for the tip - spray clean the starter switch as first remedy ..

OP
OP

Id4rob

image.jpg

My bike after finding the headlight problem and prior to reassembly.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
One other item that can cause this, is a dirty High/Low beam switch. Years ago both my headlights bulbs on my ST1100 went out and thru Id4rob's same process I found a dirty high/low beam switch. Disassembled the switch pod and a a bit of contact cleaner, and the problem went away never to return. First rule of trouble shooting is to check the easy things first. Glad you found the problem Id4rob. I am going to be in Harrah Oklahoma at a ST1300 buddy of mine who is hosting a tech and eat clinic on the 10th of May. If interested let me know. I will be riding my NT700

OP
OP

Id4rob

Thanks, Seagrass. I'll think to look here first, next time.

Rob

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
After reading this thread I gave all my switches a bath in Corrosion Block (a marine product that cleans contacts and evaporates completely. Does not affect plastics) Had a TV aboard Ariel III that got doused in salt water because I stupidly left a porthole open. I took the case off and doused the circuit boards and controls with Corrosion Block. After letting it sit for a day, it fired up and has worked ever since)

Bike
WR250R/KTM 890/KTM690
I had the same problem on a 2006 wee strom. I was at Daytona for Bike Week, 30 miles from my camper when I discovered my headlight was not working (at dusk.) I rode back in the dark with no headlight while tail gating a sympathetic motorist. I checked the fuses and replaced both bulbs before I figured out it was the start switch contact

Top Bottom