A little leak around the gas cap keyhole

1) Has anyone seen this, 2)and is there an easy fix for it. Saw a little condensate inside the rubber sealer on the gas cap keyhole and it is fuel. Put the key in and trace of fuel is on the key.

elizilla

Dunno what the climate is like on Z'ha'dum, but the gas cap is vented and if fuel is volatilizing more than usual due to temperature swings, it can end up doing that even if nothing is wrong.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
How much fuel was the tank? Completely full at the very top of the fill neck?
1) Has anyone seen this, 2)and is there an easy fix for it. Saw a little condensate inside the rubber sealer on the gas cap keyhole and it is fuel. Put the key in and trace of fuel is on the key.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Had that problem when I filled up with the bike on the centerstand. When I filled up with the bike on the side stand the problem went away. The fuel needs room to expand---especially in the summer.

MAC

lorien, I would check the tank vent. Some FJR's had this problem, the guys removed the gas cap and cleaned the vents, that fixed it.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
Is the motorcycle as real as Z'ha'dum? Maybe a magic carpet would be a better means of transportation and I thinking it has no gas cap to leak.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I did have the tank overflow hose partially plug. I found what appeared to be rolled up leaves in the drain hose that exits down by the shifter.
I noticed it by a very slow drip of water under the hose on the garage floor. The bike got rained on while parked at work and a little rain on the way home. The water that collected around the fill cap had a hard time exiting through the leaves.
I figure some insect was thinking of making a home in the drain hose.

Brad

OP
OP
To answer a few replies: the tank was about 3/4 full to start and about 1/4 left when I stopped for fuel and saw the tiny droplets inside the key cover. The weather was a lot warmer than previous days and the bike had been sitting for a long time due to my surgery, and Z'ha'dum may be a state of mind but the bike is very real.

Top Bottom