A little oil change gimmick

Can't remember if I have posted this on the old site but changing the oil today reminded me that if while on the center stand and changing the oil try this-with the drain plug still open move the bike onto the side stand. About 10-20cc more oil will come out. This trick comes from the ST site where the same technique will get some more out of them too.

Lorien

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I do the whole change on the side stand like I did with my cruisers that had no center stand... but then again I'm too lazy to mess with the center stand except when absolutely necessary.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I noticed the same thing when changing oil on my Accord with the front wheels on ramps. The drain plug faces to the rear so this nose high position allows extra oil that would not ordinarily come out to drain. My cars have always taken more oil than that listed in the manual for "oil & filter change."

Bike
Silver NT700V
Another "trick" I saw on You Tube involves the filter and center stand. Video was from Soundtechguy I think. With eh bike on the center stand, on the left side of the stand is a gusset with a hole in it. The hole lines up with he center of the oil filter. You can put a filter wrench on the filter then run a socket extension through the hole to the filter wrench. Then use a ratchet to remove or tighten the filter.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I have used K&N Filters for years. The K 204, which is what our bike uses is a bit pricey ($14.95) and is available at Auto Zone and other automotive places. It can be easily removed with a 17mm wrench. It also has a provision for safety wiring. I did drill a diagonal hole into the drain plug. This way I wire the two together.

I am a bit paranoid about oil changes, preferring to do my own. When I go in for my 600mi service, I will ask the dealer to not change the oil and filter. I'll do that when I get home.

Years ago, an oil drain plug fell off my Triumph while riding on the Interstate. When that engine blew, it was not a pretty sight. Since that time, I have done my own changes in the cars as well.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Be aware of the length of the filter. The stock filter is 2 1/2 inches. There ate 3 inch filters that will fit the connection and opening. The center stand will cut a hole in them. There is a thread here about that and some You Tube video.

Top Bottom