A Nice Ride Around Weld County....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Weld County, Colorado, is big. I took a ride around in it (and outside it, too) today. I needed to go to Fort Morgan to pick up some med samples from my doctor out there. She has put me on Victoza, and injectable drug that has kept my HgA1C (that stands for Hemoblobin A1C, an average blood sugar level that is one of the best ways to monitor Type 2 diabetes) at a level where she wants it. Victoza has worked well but it's expensive. I get to the coverage gap in my Medicare drug coverage in August or September and during that time I would spend $1400 for a renewal. But my doc loves me and saves Victoza samples for me when she gets them. Needing to pick up the samples gave me an excuse for a ride. As if I needed one!

I left home and headed northeast, riding up through farm and ranch country that is getting filled up with piplelines, pump stations, and directional wells that are being fracked to keep our fossil fuel coming. It's also a route that leads into the Pawnee Grasslands where it's easy to imagine the Pawnee riding their horses tracking the buffalo. There are three or four little communities, most with no businesses, all with no gasoline.

Remember, I just got a new fuel pump. The fuel gauge is a part of the fuel pump. After I had ridden by Briggsdale on CO-14, where there is a gas station, I realized that was going to be cutting it close in getting to Pine Bluffs, WY, on I-80. From Briggsdale to I-80 is 40 miles and there ain't no gas anywhere along that stretch. I slowed down when I was still about 20 miles from the truck stop on 80. When I got to 80, I was about 6/10 of a mile from the truck stop the road under the interstate and the service road leading to the truck stop was closed. By then my fuel gauge was pointing to the bottom left corner of the "E," below the red arc. I was still 20 miles from Pine Bluffs. There was another truck stop about 10 miles west of me, but I had realized that I didn't know if the new fuel gauge had the same calibration as my old one. So, I waited while six huge buildings that were obviously very heavy came down the hill, turned right onto the service road and then poked their way west. I was there for about 25 minutes waiting to get to the truck stop, which squeezed me on time to get to my doc's office before it closed. As it turns out, I probably would have made it to Pine Bluffs. I had ridden 280 miles on the tank and only needed 4.756 gallons to fill it. :) That calculated to 59.1 mpg, which wasn't too bad since I'd done a bit of high-speed riding testing the new pump. It was the first time the bike had gotten over 80mph since the "choked" running had started in October of '17. I managed to exceed that by 20+ mph and the bike was still accelerating slowly.

After getting gas and back on to I-80 eastbound, I rethought my intention to take US-30 from Pine Bluffs to Kimball, NE, and just stayed on the interstate till I reached NE-71 and headed south. The first 20 or so miles is rolling hills, followed by 10 miles of very flat land and then, just before the Colorado border where you get back into Weld County on CO-71, the hills start again. Along with the hills, you start getting nuclear missile country. Francis E Warren AFB in Cheyenne is one of the bases where our 450 Minuteman III missiles are stored and maintained. The other two bases are Malmstrom AFB, Great Falls, MT, and Minot AFB, Minot AFB. There are silos along 71 in Nebraska and WY, and along other highways in both states. Back in '96, we were driving with friends and went by one of the silos I passed today. It happened to be Memorial Day and it felt a little strange, on a national highway, to see the covers of the silo open, knowing that there were 3 170-kiloton warheads down that hole. It was stranger still when the HUMVEE guarding the site tracked us with quad-50s as we drove past.

I left Weld County when I drove into Morgan County a 38-mile square chunk carved out of the eastern edge of Weld County, made it to my doctor's office and then drove 57 miles back home. For the day, it was 245 miles in very nice weather. Next week, I'll go west into the mountains.

My Spot track if you're interested: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1b6205bac4ed58b661&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Last edited:
Phil, you are the man! Glad the new fuel pump has got you back on the fast track..and reset your confidence level on the NT...Ride safe..

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Someone has always smiled on you when you ride your motorcycle to the very bottom of the tank. I hope you don't get burned one of these times. I'm trying to imagine Phil pushing his motorcycle the last mile to a gas station (or even up the apron into a gas station).

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Glad you had an enjoyable ride though. Our weather here is really rotten riding weather. I'm already thinking it is only 171 more days to spring.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Someone has always smiled on you when you ride your motorcycle to the very bottom of the tank.
So far, Jim, so far... The whole time I've owned the bike, the calibration on the fuel gauge has been consistent. When Ken and I were riding home from Spearfish this year, he learned that his "Miles Remaining" info on his CB1100 goes blank at about 12 miles. We rode seven after that and he took within 0.2 gallon of his tank capacity. I figured I'd take 4.7 gallons and only took 4.65.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I would never make an iron butt rider. I don't mind stopping early for gas at all.
Many moons ago I did sputter into a gas station, and that was after deciding to go the opposite direction (the gas station was 1-2 miles closer) I was headed when I realized how low on fuel I was. Of course that was before fuel level gauges on bikes. I was being smiled on that day, just don't need to push my luck.

Brad

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The only time I've ever run out, I was riding my Concours (which had a petcock that gave me 1.5 gallons reserve). I knew when I flipped to reserve that I'd been through 6.0 gallons, so I'd divide my trip distance by 6 and multiply that number by 1.5 and make the assumption that I could get at least 2/3 of that distance. I had been to Denver from Ft Morgan on a really hot day. I think it was about 103F. I got to within 3 miles of the first Ft Morgan exit and about 3.5 miles from the first gas station when it sputtered and died. There was no way I wanted to walk 3.5 miles to get gas. I started calling people and it took till about the 4th or 5th one before I got a guy at home. He brought me a gallon.

The closest I ever came without running out was also on my Connie. I'd ridden from Ft Morgan to Julesburg for a funeral. It was 100 miles and about 20 miles before I got there, I remember thinking that I was getting really good gas mileage. We went to the church for the funeral, then about 1.5 miles to the cemetery and then back to the church for the funeral dinner. As I was coming into town from the cemetery and thought again about what good mileage I was getting and then just on a whim, reached down to touch the petcock. It was already on reserve. That was a surprise! So, before I went to dinner, I got gas and put 7.54 gallons into my 7.5 gallon tank. I think I'd ridden about 325 miles -- the most I ever got out of the Connie. I usually refueled it at around 250-275 miles.

Wish the NT had that much range.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
When Ken and I were riding home from Spearfish this year, he learned that his "Miles Remaining" info on his CB1100 goes blank at about 12 miles.
My wife's Honda CRV did that to me too. It shows "miles to empty" and I was watching that when the low fuel light came on and the "miles to empty" went blank. I stopped for gas as soon as I could.

Top Bottom