A Semi-Elegant Solution to a Big-Lid Problem

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
As you all know, I have closed down my closet industry of providing slightly-damaged big lids to Forum Members. But I just couldn't stand to go to the IBA Meeting with scraped-up panniers. Jim Moore (and probably others) have shown me the solution.

The week before the IBA Meeting, I did some sanding (no body filler) and painted my pannier lids Satin Black. They wouldn't impress a body man, but I think they look a heck of a lot better than they did in Spearfish. Plus, I found a nifty sticker at the Meeting that's on both sides of my "new" Deauville lids.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Well done. I might end up doing this to my silver big lids just because the black would look better on my red bike than the present silver.

Drider

We've goy exactly the same ,over the pond! They proved useful when my bike fell off once in the Portuguese sand :no scratches at all,good buy ,worth the money ;Only problem is that you can't take them off.But is that a problem?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I had looked for those and couldn't find them. They are certainly more elegant than rattle-can satin black!

Bike
Silver NT700V
Phil,

Your paint job looks really good. I have seen some impressive rattle can work over on GSTwins (forum for the Suzuki GS500). Of course, some of those guys did extensive prep work with body fillers and lot and lots of sanding.

The protctors from Wayne's bike look good too.

As always,

keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Chuck, I didn't use any body filler and didn't do much sanding. If you get close to the bike, that's pretty obvious. But distance and speed make it look much better. :)

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Wayne, where'd you get those puppies? I bet others would like to add them. THANKS!!!
I never "tested" them, I'm glad they worked for your "test"...:D I searched the "Corner Protectors" for automotive bumpers on eBay and found those, I'll see if I can find any more info in my old eBay files... I added a lot of extra 3M "Red" Trim Tape to them before installing so they maybe a real PITA to remove... I highly suggest you use the fishing line tip if you ever need to remove them...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I think these are the same make & model thay you used. Check here and here and if that isn't enough, try the handy 24 pack.
Those look like the correct guards. The 15.4"s are on the lids.
Those are indeed the correct ones... I used the small 12.6" set on the Wee's OEM luggage. I didn't "test" them on it either though....:D

You will need to add 3M Red Bodyside Molding tape, the amount of cheap tape that came stock on them isn't near enough to hold it on the pannier lid in a low speed sliding impact... So I got a little bit wild with the "good" tape as Bob will find out if he ever needs to remove one...:eek1:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
See this thread for the earlier discussion about this "protection" option... Since Bob has kindly provided the "field test" of their protection, as clamored for in the earlier thread, I think it is safe to say they are worth the $20 and some 3M Tape as long as you like the looks...

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Bob,
It was nice meeting you last week. The guards look like a very good alternative to scuffed panniers. On my black panniers they would hardly be noticable. I am thinking of getting some trim molding for a Chev. Suburban which would be chrome with a black rubber insert. The ends could be beveled down. On my black lids that would go well with the chrome racks that I have on the top of the lids. On the red lids, I could paint the vinyl insert red.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I stopped in Portsmouth NH to have a coffee with Rob on my recent ride. (what a cool town!) I was drooling over his Triumph when I notice a K1200 parked next to it. Sadly, that rider did NOT have the guards on his lids. His right lid was badly scratched, but even worse, the front half was caved in. I prefer the look of the guards...
it was great to meet you Bob, glad you were able to swing through portsmouth on your way home. it will forever make me happy to see an NT. as my first bike, it holds a special place in my heart :D maybe we'll get to meet up again in the future if we ever plan an east coast rally, or take the plunge for spearfish (although that might be too far for me as it would mean quite a bit of time off from work).

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I'd be hard pressed to go anywhere else if I lived in Portsmouth, Rob. That is a very cool town and I enjoyed meeting you.

I met Ron Degnan over in East Liverpool, Ohio just after I got back from NE, and he suggested the James Bay Road up in Northern Quebec as an alternative (in my case, we were talking AK). He is a very very experienced rider (put 240,000 miles on his last bike before getting an NT) and has ridden to Radisson, Quebec several times. Furthest north area on the east side of North America. The last 400 miles (I think that's right) is ridden on a private paved road. No speed limits, no police (and 1 gas stop). The need to go 250 miles on 1 tank would be a self monitoring speed limiter, but it might be kind of fun there.

Food for thought.
well that's about half the distance compared to spearfish from where i am. that seems like it could be a lot of fun. my bike can't go 250 miles on a tank, so i'd need to look into a rotopax fuel can or something. some of the other new england riders might go for that as well.

bicyclist

The ride to Radisson is one I'd like to do, as well. It's about 385 miles from Matagami to Radisson with a gas stop at Relais, about 236 miles from Matagami. The NT could do it without extra fuel, but I wouldn't risk it.

Bike
11VStrom650 & 16Tiger800
Bob, soooo glad to know these rubber protectors are out there to be found. Thought I was gonna have to get them to cover up some "scratches" to my lids. Had a parking lot mishap a week ago. Only scraped my right mirror a bit, dented in the built in mini crash bar/protector and minor scratches on the muffler guards/covers. My husband was behind me on his bike and said, "Why the h*ll did she just fall off her bike?" and "Boy, is she gonna be in a bad mood when she sees the damage!". Well, I wasn't in a bad mood nor mad about the stupid tip over. Not like the first time I've done it, but the first time on my fairly new 2011 NT. Well, now the NT is "seasoned". But, back to the protectors, am glad they're available for future use. I never said I wouldn't have a mishap on the NT. It wasn't if I was going to have a mishap, but when! All members of this forum are full of great information! Thanks for everyone's help.

Top Bottom