A Tent with a "Garage"...

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
While poking around the AltRider website I found this tent with a built in "garage" for your bike... It looks like a neat idea...except I don't know if I would want to smell my NT or Wee all night. Or if they would want to smell me after a couple of day camping for that matter...:eek1:

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I'm thinking, for the price and the bulk, that my bike can stay outside overnight when camping. The bike is made to handle the elements when moving why not when parked at a campsite? Just more weight and bulk and money spent to deal with.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
An amusing fragment of the marketing:

"it?s a three season tent that?s been tested everywhere from the 20 degree Fahrenheit (-7 degrees Celsius) conditions in the Arctic Circle".

Somebody doesn't get around very much. But there are those days where you get up in the morning and it'd be nice to not have a frosted seat.

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
The only advantage I see is for working on on your bike in lousy weather...or adding a little security if you are in area with two legged varmiNTs...

elizilla

I have sometimes thought about designing a tent that uses the bike as support, like, say, a bivy that would attach to the bike to hold the fabric off my face, and pack real small because it has no poles.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Most of the time, I ride from sun up to sun down and setup in the dark. The last thing I want is a hot, smelly bike inside my tent. If I want to cover my bike, I'll buy a bike cover.

Not to mention, you typically setup your tent in soft ground... if you put you bike in there, it could fall over with hot exhaust melting or starting a fire. No sir, it's a gimmick and I'm not interested.. LOL

OP
OP
RedLdr1

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I have sometimes thought about designing a tent that uses the bike as support, like, say, a bivy that would attach to the bike to hold the fabric off my face, and pack real small because it has no poles.
LOL, been their done that...at least something very similar in concept... When I was in the Army I used to tie off my poncho from the side of my comm rig and use it as a shelter... A couple ponchos snapped together would create a decent shelter for two...

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, never used a tent in the Army. I always had a huge hunk of armor that I slept in :) When I wanted to sleep outside I'd rig a poncho lean to wit a couple of trees (big ones so a tank wouldn't run over me in the dark) :D

But, on long rainy days we'd rig a poncho up over he turret to keep the rain off of us while on watch.

Sent from my DROID2

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I hear people want to put the crapper in the house, what kind of addle brained gimmick is that!

elizilla

I had a solo hiking tent that I carried for a while, but in practice I didn't set it up if it was wet, because I am a side sleeper, and when I slept on my side in that tent in the rain, my knees would press into the tent wall and this made it leak, so if it was wet I just rented a motel room. Sleeping on my side also allowed mosquitoes to bite whatever part of my body was touching the tent wall, and something always touched, so I didn't use it if there were bugs. When there were no bugs and it was dry, why bother with a tent? Just sleep on the ground - there's more room and it's less work. The pack size was small, but still way too large for something I didn't use. I eventually gave it away to someone who hiked and was a back sleeper. The experience of owning this tent has made me cautious of bivies.

But even as a proponent of larger tents, bringing my bike into my tent with me is way, way, way down on my list of things to do. Some people are so paranoid they can't sleep if their bike is outdoors, but I don't get that worked up about it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I agree that having a tent big enough to keep the bike in is big time overkill. But I like the notion of a vestibule that's on the footprint. I'd just as soon not have everything in the tent, but it's nice to not have all of it sitting on the ground.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
With my knees, my "technique" for getting up off he ground takes up some space. I'll need a roomy 2-man tent or even a 3-man tent if I'm going to camp much. I'm thinking that when I do my epic ride in '13, I'll probably camp a couple of nights, then motel it a night. The Big Agnes tents looked light and small enough to be possible solutions.

rcase13

Wow yeah I would be scared the bike would fall over on me. I have the REI Clipper tent. I am really hoping it fits into the pass through. I don't have the bike yet to test.

Top Bottom