A Testimonial to Those Who Are Real Riders

Funny vid! I actually know some nice BMW owners. They have told me that there is some animosity even within the mark between different types... "Hey, You! Airhead!"

Man...that made me think of my trip to Dallas...on my own R1200GS. That was the trip I got a mystery leg inflammation....in Joplin, MO. Passing through, two days after the tornado. I had no clue - I was on a cross-country ride, with a purpose. Job interview in Dallas; no hurry.

There were no rooms easily available in Joplin, and then, the weather turning, I found a Super 8 that would rent me one for $120. I was lucky to get it. And that night, my leg swelled up. I thought, phlebitis. And there was NO clinic or hospital that didn't have a long triage line.

There I am, on my tall 600-pound monster, my shifting leg swollen up, maybe a blood clot...there was nothing to do but ride on or die trying. Every stoplight had me wondering what might happen if I had to suddenly stop on the left leg, if it would hold me up. And how I'd get that bike back up if it did fall.

I liked that BMW, and put 20,000 miles on it in three years; but it was just too much. Weight, cost, height, vis-a-vis my age.

I was also reminded of a timeless truth: An aging, balding guy with a weight problem...on a very-expensive Yuppie bike...is still an aging guy with thinning hair and a gut. And even if he doesn't remember it, the baristas, and others, see it.
What hapopenedd to the leg?

But the thing that I found most tiresome and sort of...dumb - for a motorcycle brand whose major demographic is older riders - was the fact that the instruments were so far away from my eyes and even worse, the faces of the instruments and the markings on them were so small as to be nearly illegible.

Pete

That's not a big deal as Harleys are usually going slower than whatever the posted speed limit is. No need for a tach either for a bike that revs so slow. You know when to shift based on audible HFPM (Harley Farts Per Minute).

[QUOTE="JustPassinThru, post: 179778, member: ]

But H-D...gets the pirates. Let it suffice, I don't see the appeal. I don't like loud exhaust - not on my bike, or my car, and certainly not when someone is deliberately trying to draw attention.

[/QUOTE]

That's what I like about the NT, it's so quiet and unobtrusive, you're flying below the radar, unnoticed, off the grid. Almost feels like you're getting away with something, but don't tell the general public, else they'll all want in! :rofl1:

Brad

[QUOTE="JustPassinThru, post: 179778, member: ]

But H-D...gets the pirates. Let it suffice, I don't see the appeal. I don't like loud exhaust - not on my bike, or my car, and certainly not when someone is deliberately trying to draw attention.

That's what I like about the NT, it's so quiet and unobtrusive, you're flying below the radar, unnoticed, off the grid. Almost feels like you're getting away with something, but don't tell the general public, else they'll all want in! :rofl1:

Brad
[/QUOTE]
I dont get the pirates but then I hold doors open for people at the post office. A pirate rode by my house yesterday with loud pipes and blaring stereo....as if to say, "Blank you. You are all dog turds and I am God"
One of my fav scenes from "Every which way but loose."

Back
Top Bottom