A tire matching question

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
The tires on my (still new to me) NT7 are Michelin Pilot ACTIV's. The particular tire is a bias-ply touring tire that I have learned has been discontinued.

The front is in immediate need of replacement. It's six years old, and down to the wear-bars anyway.

The rear still has the mold nipples on it; per the date it is about 3 years old.

My question is about matching a bias-ply tire for the front that will play well with the rear.

There may be a Michelin bias ply that I've overlooked in an hour or so of web browsing. Or, there may be a tire by another manufacturer that will check the size and construction boxes. I'll be fine with either option.

Suggestions, links, true testimonies, and off the wall comments will of course all be appreciated.

The next time I'll just go with radials, but for now I want to get some use out of that rear tire.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I’ve seen bias front/radial rear combo but not the other way around. I have no idea if it would work well.

If it were me I’d buy a radial front and if it doesn’t ride well then buy t radial rear.

I’m currently searching for new tires (front and rear) and can’t find a set of ANY brand/model radials in the correct sizes. So I may be back to riding bias tires again. About the only choice in stock are Metzler Torrance Next which were original on my bike. They weren’t great.

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I’ve seen bias front/radial rear combo but not the other way around. I have no idea if it would work well.

If it were me I’d buy a radial front and if it doesn’t ride well then buy t radial rear.

I’m currently searching for new tires (front and rear) and can’t find a set of ANY brand/model radials in the correct sizes. So I may be back to riding bias tires again. About the only choice in stock are Metzler Torrance Next which were original on my bike. They weren’t great.
Roger that. In my reading today it seems some bikes come with a radial on the rear and a bias-ply on the front, but not the other way around.

RE, Metzler: I had a set of Metzler's on a BMW K75 that cupped and had other issues. No more Metzler's for me.

Otherwise, I'm browsing to look at the Skinko's and Kenda's to get a fix on the compounds to see what will work as a match. The way I see it, if they are both bias tires and the tread is similar - and given my lethargic riding style, I shouldn't have a problem. Then after another year or so of using up the rear I'll just put a set of radials on it front and rear.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Back before I bought my 1st NT in '10, I rode a couple of C10 Concours for 165K miles. I'd guess I did about 90K of that on bias-ply tires (IIRC, they were the ones that the GL1500s were using then). I never had any issues with them either with wear or handling. I did ride w/ a radial front and a bias rear for a few thousand miles and wouldn't have done that again.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I don't think that the harsh ride on the Wee Strom is a bias tire thing, rather a Heidenau thing. The tires must have an exceptionally stiff sidewall as the PO said the guy at the tire shop said they were the hardest tires he ever had to install. The ride of the NT with the Dunlop radials is absolutely plush in comparison. I can't wait to wear the Heidenaus out as they don't suit my intended riding. I suspect that for a rider who would use the bike for its intended "adventure" riding, they would be ideal.

Mike

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V

ett

Roger that. In my reading today it seems some bikes come with a radial on the rear and a bias-ply on the front, but not the other way around.
I've always been told that the bias tire on front and radial tire on rear is acceptable.
Because bias tires are stiffer and have less rolling resistance that radials tires.

Where as; if you did radial on front and bias on rear. The rear bias would be squirming around as it tries to "pass" the front radial.

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
I just order some tires and Revzilla and Chapmoto both have sets of Michelin Road 5, Road 6, and Pirelli Angel GT II in stock. These are usually where I purchase all my tires.

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
So I opted for the matching set of new radials in Road 4's. Thanks again to all for the feedback and suggestions.

Reactions: ett
OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
The new rubber is here. Sometime next week I'll remove the wheels and use a friend's tire machine to R&R the tires.

Back to the valve stems question: what are your thoughts on replacing the old rubber stems with a set of those at the link?

The back I think would be okay, but I'm curious about clearance and the brake calipers on the front.

Vofono Black 90 Degree Valve Stems

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Your link goes to a website called "Super Offers."

Unless the horizontal portion of the valve stem is 5" long, I can't see it hitting the brake caliper.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
The new rubber is here. Sometime next week I'll remove the wheels and use a friend's tire machine to R&R the tires.

Back to the valve stems question: what are your thoughts on replacing the old rubber stems with a set of those at the link?

The back I think would be okay, but I'm curious about clearance and the brake calipers on the front.

Vofono Black 90 Degree Valve Stems
They will work as I had them on my NT. And if you are worried about brake caliper clearance then you can angle them a bit off of right angle.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Those are similar to valve stems I use. Work good.
Make sure to lube drive splines when you have that rear wheel off.

Arknt

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
For some reason the forum software is not letting me do a quote.

Anyway, @DirtFlier when I clicked the link, it took me to the listing for the valve stems at Amazon.

Perhaps you have a browser hijacker in your computer?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
No hijacker as far as I know. By the way, my friend has similar metal valve stems on her NT and she has them pointing to the right and has never had problems.

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Roger that, thanks. I'll go ahead and order a set to install while I have the tires off for the tire replacement.

Top Bottom