Accident Reports and Reconstruction

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
This is not NT-related, but it's the accident I've learned the most from. I was on my 1st '99 Kawasaki Concours and I had put 115,000 miles on the bike.

Two friends and I were returning from Buena Vista, CO, and were riding the Peak to Peak HIghway, south of Allenspark. It was about 10:00 at night at the end of a long day. I'd been up since 6AM, preached three times and then ridden 200 miles to Buena Vista, and then 161 miles back toward friend Rick's house on CO-7. We only lacked about 9-10 miles of being there. I was going to spend the night with Rick because he had had a rough week. He'd been with Paul when Paul crashed and was killed. Rick had stayed with Paul's body in Utah until after the cremation, and then taken Paul's ashes home to his family in Buena Vista.

We had ridden over Loveland Pass and gotten into light snow which turned into rain as we rode to Idaho Springs and north toward Nederland. The rain had stopped and the roads had dried out. Rick and Mke, our other friend were very familiar with the Peak-to-Peak and were probably more alert than I was. They were riding at a brisk pace and I felt as if I were pushing trying to keep up with them. So I slowed down and found a comfortable 45-55 mph speed that was suiting me. On the third part of a linked series of curves, I suddenly felt as if I was going way too fast. I tried light trail-braking with the rear wheel and then with the front. I remember going off the road on the outside of the curve. The next thing I remember was waking up on the side of the road and wondering if I'd been in a wreck. Then Mike was there and, in short order, so were two ambulances. One of them took me down the hill to the Longmont hospital's ER. After X-rays and an exam by the ER doc, I was released and went home with Rick. I had a mild concussion and bruised ribs, but recovered fairly soon. My helmet, a three-week-old Nolan N-103, was ruined, with deep gouges on top, front, and both sides. My 'Stitch had a few broken threads on the shoulder ballistics, but everything else was undamaged.

Except for my Connie. Everything from the headlight to the back 6" of the gas tank was destroyed (except for my GPS, which was still in its cradle, attached to the top of the instrument panel).

After we got up the next morning, I examined the bike and then Rick and I went back to the scene of the accident. I was more than a little surprised at the curve. It was one I had ridden many times (well, at least 10-20 times), always in the daytime. It is a 60-70 mph bend and I had crashed at 45-50.

What I learned from this is that our bikes are usually capable of more than we think they are. If I had leaned more I would have made the curve with no trouble. By trying to slow down, I made the bike stand up and widened the curve, taking me off the outside shoulder. If you try braking in a corner, you need to be sure you keep the bike turning instead of letting it stand up.

Other factors in the accident were undoubtedly fatigue and darkness.

maxweljames

Great story and great lessons. Thanks for sharing.

ken45

It is a 60-70 mph bend and I had crashed at 45-50.

... If I had leaned more I would have made the curve with no trouble. By trying to slow down, I made the bike stand up and widened the curve, taking me off the outside shoulder. If you try braking in a corner, you need to be sure you keep the bike turning instead of letting it stand up.
I wonder if the darkness made it more difficult to judge? Or at least affected your confidence?

Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Raycad

Phil - Thanks for starting this thread, we need it and it will help preventing crashes. For me, in 35 years of riding, no crashing yet, except for a very minor get off many, many years ago, braking too hard at an intersection in town, going 15-20 mph. Absolutely no harm done, just a few scratches on the crash bars of a Yamaha XS11. But I should not brag. Sometimes, while riding, I suddenly realize that I'm daydreaming or not paying enough attention: shouldn't happen!!! And target fixation: small potholes that I should be able to avoid, but I don't countersteer quickly enough. Something I must work on hard!

On a more serious note, at two different Nationals I was attending, a rider died on the road. Two extremely sad events that never should have happened! Although I wasn't directly at the scene of the accidents, I still vividly recall the pall cast over the whole rally. I know deadly accidents will always happen for various reasons, but we, each of us, should do absolutely all we can to inform, educate and motivate ourselves and others to prevent those accidents as much as possible. This thread will be an invaluable tool!

Ray

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Paul, I had only ridden from about 12:30 PM till 10:30 PM. But having been awake and having preached three services had left me pretty tired. I don't know if I'd be riding in the mountains after that long a day any time in the future.

Ray, which Nationals (assuming that you were talking about COG Rallies) were you at where people died? The only one I was at where someone died was the one at Fontana. The woman was from New Jersey (I think) and she and her husband and some friends were just leaving on a ride. They were probably within 100-200 yards of their campsite and she went off the road into a ditch. I think it was a broken neck that took her life. I believe she was wearing a helmet, but no other protective clothing.

Raycad

Phil - You're right, one was at Fontana, NC, in 2009. The lady was from West Virginia, a mature woman with grown children. The other one was a guy on a black '90 ST1100 exactly like mine at he time. It happened at an HSTA STAR and, if I remember well, it was at Eufaula, OK, in 1997. Both very sad events indeed!

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
John, I didn't have a question about what happened. I have analyzed, as a "thought experiment," the dynamic forces involved between tire contact patches, accelleration/decelleration, lean, etc.

When leaning, if you apply the front brake, the contact patch is on the inside of the center-line of the wheel, and it will induce a turning force that will cause the front to rotate toward the inside of the turn, thus inducing a counter-steering effect that will cause the bike to stand up and widen its turning radius.

You don't really have time to think through that process while in the middle of a curve, so you need to practice and ingrain the realization that if you brake at all (hard braking isn't a good idea when you've used up some of the "traction pie" with turning), you will need to add some pressure to the inside bar if you want to maintain a constant turning radius.

Oh, and I like Raycad below, really liked my Connies. That's why I owned two and put 165,000 on them.

Last edited:

Raycad

Excuse me! I've a 2005 Concours with 84 700 km (56 600 mi) on it and it's no more of a handful than any of the other bikes I had before. It depends on the rider! And I LIKE it, if not I would not have kept it for so long.

I'm used to LIGHT trailbraking on the rear wheel in curves when I judge necessary. Mostly, I try to not enter the curve too fast but as I said before, it could happen. And, as Phil said, "What I learned from this is that our bikes are usually capable of more than we think they are." I know, I know and I try to hammer that in my hard head (and put it in practice too)

Ray

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
When doing trail braking keep in mind we are "blessed" with Honda's Combined Braking System (CBS). In the CBS version used on all NTs, ABS or not, applying the rear brake partially applies the front brake. If you are used to riding a bike with independent front and rear braking systems it can be a weird feeling...

maupen

I don't know if I can post here the news about Jim ( nccmpig) recovery, but I don't want to open a new thread. I'm in contact daily with his wife, and he's still sedated and breathing with a ventilator, but yesterday his doctor cut it almost 90% and he was almost breathing on his own. They will try again today and see how he does. They really want to take that tube out ASAP so there's less risk of infection..

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mauricio,

It's OK with me if you post here with that news. I'm glad to hear he's making progress. Is he conscious? Seems like it's been a long haul for him. I keep him in my prayers. I hope his wife is holding up OK, too.

maupen

The doctors tried yesterday to pull out the breathing tube, but his blood pressure spike up he had problem breathing on his own. They had to put the tube back again. He's sedated, but not in comma, the doctors keep him sedated, because if he wake up will try to pull out the tube. Tomorrow his sister, a trauma nurse, is driving down from Indianapolis with her 2 daughters, maybe she can ask the right questions to the doctors and she will be a big help to Jill ( Jim wife), she's alone in Asheville.
Today, will be a week from the accident, and more time with a breathing tube means more infection risk.

Top Bottom