Adding coolant

Is there an easy way to check and add a little coolant? Or do you have to take off a lot of the plastic? New nt, just checking over some stuff.

Bike
2010 NT700V
-With engine cold. Put the bike on the centerstand.
-Take a flashlight, crouch down on the right side of the bike and look through the fins in the mid black plastic piece below the Honda wing logo. You should see the right end of the expansion tank, level should be between low and high.

If you need to add a bit, I've done the following.

-bike on centerstand
-remove the seat
-fold back the gas tank rubber
-remove the finned right black plastic piece. There is one phillips screw up forward between the fins, take it out. Bottom left of black plastic is peg into grommet, pull out gently. Carefully lift up bottom of black plastic along its length to disengage plastic slider tabs. Grab black plastic and slide backwards. There is large slider hook on the top that engages the black plastic to the upper bodywork.
-remove rubber cap from expansion tank.
-Take a piece of laminated paper or thin cardboard with a laminated side. (magazine cover, box of oatmeal, etc) Roll yourself a funnel cone with the laminate to the inside.
-Looking straight down the right edge of the gas tank into the top of the expansion tank. Squeeze the homemade funnel between the gas tank and plastic strip of main body work into the expansion tank opening.
-add coolant as needed.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You can also use momma's turkey baster... Just don't get caught.... This is the voice of experience talking to you...

šŸ„ŗ

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
A small funnel with a piece of clear tubing squeezed into the end to make an extension works also.
Kitchen stuff mostly needs to stay in the kitchen (for more than one reason).

Brad

OP
OP
Thanks for the info, I will get to that. I saw the reservoir, just wanted to add a little. When winter comes along I will flush it out. Sometimes I wonder why I got rid of the Nomad 1600. LOL

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
JustPassingThru - Hey, let's be honest. Are there any modern bikes where maintenance is easy? Engineers are not given the task of making it any easier for home mechanics. Their task is to package all the components/features to make it fairly easy to assemble at the factory, which is quite different than someone working on
it at home.

Model A Fords were easy to work on because everything was out in the open but look under the bonnet of any modern car and you'd be hard pressed to even see the bleeping engine!

OP
OP
WE have F550 diesels at work, try looking under the hood. I drive a 2017, I don't know how ford works on them, and don't try to change the fuel filter, take it to the dealer, tube broke off, real fragile, cost was 750 just in labor. Mechanic said its a problem but Ford has not done anything yet.

Two reasons: Modern machinery is packaged tighter because a vehicle has so many more parts now, and the parts don't fail as often. You can make it hard to reach if you hardly ever have to get at it.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Except for the oil drain plug and oil filter, I don't think engineers make it easy to reach anything! It's just the way it is so learn to live with it.

The other alternative is to ride and work on something simple such as a Royal Enfield 500 cc single!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My 2019 Yamaha XMAX was designed to be easy to work on. oil and filter change is a snap. Coolant level is easy to check and top off. A valve check requires very little plastic removal and the cam does not have to be removed to replace the shims. Changing the belt is a half hour job. I have not seen anything other than replacing the tires that I will not do myself. I never felt that way with my NT.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
This is what absolutely frosts me with Honda. The product is, generally, reliable. They've had their missteps. But they DO...NOT make repairs easy, in any way, shape, manner or form.

They've had hydraulic tappets for thirty years - used them in some Nighthawks. Why the hell not across the board? Little engines, I get it. There's a power loss. Why not here? Why not with the ST, which required cam REMOVAL? WHY make that coolant reservoir so hard to get at? Why make the HEADLIGHT so hard to get behind to replace the bulb?
I see you have a Versys X 300. If you think Honda's are hard to work on wait untillyou have to work on the 300X .ie change the light bulb or do the valve adjust. Just saying.

Top Bottom