ADV Monster Model 30 and Denali D2 LED Light Comparison

CommuterNT

A side note to my light setup vs. Chris'. I have the flood lens in my D2's and I have my headlights aimed a bit higher then Chris'. Chris' lights are bright! Probably comparable to my high setting of my D2's if not a tad brighter. I thought the light was a bit more crisp white then mine also but that can be subjective to the naked eye.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
It is also interesting seeing how much difference headlight aiming makes. Critical to match with your driving needs.

The comparison is good in one way and not in another. The D2's in this case seem to be set up as flood/fog. Yes, they are lower brightness, but, the goal is different.

Most of my need is for visibility with a little extra side light. So, I got my flashlights and put them on. Not quite as bright as the Denali's but looking at the bike they are the same. The triangle is very important IMHO. The best part is the flashlights cost $20 with $10 worth of voltage regulation (they are 700 lumens each). :D

If I were riding off road or I needed absolute reliability I would definitely get Denali's just for the construction of the lights.

But, I can live with a light going out every now and then or needing to rewire them at some point. At the same time mine have almost 15k trouble free miles on them at this point.

My brother, OTOH, will get a set of Denali's for his 2014 GS. Just like he has a set of Tourtech luggage on order where my Guzzi wears $40 ammo cans :)

slider

I think the Denalis look better but maybe $50 better. Some serious profit in those Denalis.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
Thanks Chris and Kyle for the comparison. Obviously, neither of you have a financial interest in either of the brands, and your visual and specification comparisons certainly provide us with some serious food for thought. I have yet to install lights on mine but plan to do so before the Spearfish ride. I appreciate your pragmatic approach and empirical evidence. It's hard to separate the functionality from partiality with the product review here and elsewhere at times.

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Chris,

What about the battery / charging system drain? I know my deanlies do not make a den on low beam, even with GPS and heated Gerbings My battery draw indicator is not having any issues. How do the M 30 lights compare in that respect?

I will make no bones about th factI wasvery upset with TT at the time I got my Denalies , BUT with two plus years of use I amquite satisfied woth the product it's self. wish I could be at Cashmere to pick your brain on this question, but alas I am rotating from my desk to couch and in a medicate state of comfort while you all are having fun.

Eldon

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Chris,

Thanks for the update. This was the information I wanted to hear!

I am glad you had a good trip over and back, from what I saw of the weather out the window I know I missed a great trip ETC, but under the circumstances it is best that I stayed here with a nose in a book.

How many did we have show up?

I am thinking of secondary lights for the VLX and I think this may just be the answer for it.

Eldon

CommuterNT

I think the last picture with the two bikes facing is a great example of comparison for mounting locations for lights and what kind set up you are looking to achieve. Keep in mind Chris' are on "high" setting and mine are low power.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
If they are both cree led bulbs, how can the 3 bulbs on the monsters have the same draw as the denali's one bulb? They must be lower power/lumen rating individually but make up for it when combined?

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Could be, or, the voltage reducing circuitry in the Denali's are drawing a bit of extra current. Cree LED's are made to run on ~4V. So, you run 3 or 4 of them on 12V, or, you put in a circuit to reduce the voltage to 4V. Some of those circuits can draw as much power as the LED.

There are also different cree LED's out there made for different outputs. Over the years there have been some improvement to the LED's. Don't know if Denali has "upgraded" their design since the new ones have come out or not.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I noticed in my new Twisted Throttle catalog that came last week that they have discontinued the original Denalis like I have on my bike.

Top Bottom