Advice for a Russell

silshooter

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Spoke with the Russell representative today and I am going to buy one of their seats. She was very positive about the new material for the center of the saddle instead of the vinyl, claims to be much more comfortable. Has anyone purchased a seat with that or does anybody have any other suggestions on this purchase. I am planning a ride to the Northwest this summer celebrating my 50 years of motorcycling, I think the Russell will be much better than the Sargent I have.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I am extremely happy with my Russell - I've put about 40,000 miles on mine since I bought it, but you'll find other guys with significantly more miles than that.

I don't know what the new material is in the center of the saddle - I haven't looked at the Russell site since I bought mine - but I can tell you I've never had any discomfort from the vinyl, and I live in a very hot and humid climate. (I'm down in the Valley - being from Texas, you know where that is.) My summer ride this year was to Spearfish, SD, for the annual NT Owner's rally, then up into Canada and back down through the Rockies. 5,500 mile and just as comfortable as my easy chair at home.

The Russell is worth every dime.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got my 2nd Russell. The first one I had on both of my '99 Concours and probably put about 100-110K miles on it. When I got my NT, I first thought that I wouldn't need a Russell. But then I did a SS1K and at about 700 miles my previously iron butt began to ache. It was OK, but I waited until I had about 10,000 miles on the bike, and bought a stock saddle from Katherine (Elzilla on the Forum), so I wouldn't be without a saddle while waiting on my Russell.

I got the heavy duty suspension, since I weigh over 230# and I had the saddle covered in leather in the half-moon pattern. I think I'd have been fine with vinyl but I like leather and with 2 or 3 applications of Obenhauf's leather dressing a year, it's still looking good. "It" does have a 2nd cover. I didn't use anything on the first cover and it wore out along the seam on the right side of the saddle after about 45,000 miles. People who have seen the way I have to get on or off the bike due to my lack of right-knee flexibility can understand why that seam wore out. When Russell recovered it for me, they managed to move that seam down a bit and it's not wearing the way it did the first time. The Obenhauf's helps that, too, I think.

I got the half-moon stitching pattern because I like the way it looks better than the squares or diamonds and it has the added advantage of being the most water-proof cover pattern (fewer needle holes to let water into the foam).

I've got the rain cover and use it in the car wash or if I don't have any luggage on the passenger part of the seat. As far as I can tell the rider portion doesn't get wet when I'm sitting on it in the rain.

I'm like nearly everyone who's had a Russell -- I love it. It's one of my two favorite farkles. The other one is the Rostra electronic cruise control.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I suggest paying attentioin to getting the fit you want. They will move the seat position fore and aft, up or down, to fit the get the riding positon you want. Those differences make a huge difference.

One guy wanted to trade me saddles so we tried switdhing for a while. His seat was an inch or two farther forward and in inch or so lower than mine. It was awful for me. We didn't trade. But the way the saddles felt was dramatically different. Just make sure you get the position you want.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
IIRC, Russell will make one adjustment for free (except for shipping the saddle back to them) for free. I've never used the ride-in option but both my saddles from Russell have fit me perfectly. They've used the measurements and the pictures I've sent them and did a great job of fitting the saddle to me.

I had a completely different experience with Rick Meyer. I'd tried him for my first custom seat for my first '99 Concours. He was "less expensive" and worth every penny of it.

The saddle didn't fit me very well, but it didn't fit my wife at all (we'd gone with the custom pillion). I sent it back and he made it better, but still not good. In addition, he kept my saddle for eight weeks after promising a two week turnaround. When it went back for revisions, he had it another eight weeks. He ignored phone messages and emails and got mad at me when I called him at home one night at about 7:30 his time. I don't recommend Mr. Meyer.

Russell has always responded promptly and either matched or beat their promised delivery date.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
5 russles in last 7 years! all different bikes, all done on ride -in apt, NO COMPLAINTS of any kind.\\over 50,000 mi on rhw onw on my NT

Eldon

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I wonder if Russell is going to have a sale this year? I was hoping they would so it would ease the cost for a seat for the Trophy.
Wander around the various bike groups on ADV Rider - a lot of them put together group buys and don't care what make/model you ride.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
There wasn't a group buy available from Russell last year; may not have been one the year before. The FJR Forum had one for several years -- that was the one I got in on in 2010.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
there was a web based group buy in Oct 2013, that is when I ordered mine, keep looking daily at website

Bike
2010 Red Honda NT 700 V
Placed an order for my Russell yesterday and am giving consideration to adding the heated seat. Does anyone have experience with this creature comfort? I believe it cycles on or off to maintain around 101 - 103 degrees. Never thought I would need one, but never ordered such a seat either. Don't generally ride in the winter months here in PA for any great distance, but fall trips into NE can get chilly. The butt typically doesn't get cold, but legs and feet do. Am thinking the "butt" mass of warmth would help, similar to keeping chest and hands warm (have the heated grips). Thoughts?
Mark

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
My wife really liked the heated seat we had on our H-D Tri-Glide. She claimed sitting on a warm seat kept her much warmer all over so I suspect your theory is correct. I never turned mine on again after installing it so I can't say one way or the other. The Tri-Glide had a big enough alternator to easily handle the seat's heating element, the NT may require some careful power management to support one.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Mark, I've got a Russell (can't imagine not having one) but don't have the heated seat option. Like Wayne says, the NT doesn't have a lot of extra electrical oomph. When I ride in the cold, I can have my Denali D1 lights on, plus my heated grips on the 3rd or 4th position with my heated jacket on all the way, but if I need high beams, I've got to turn the grips down another notch or turn the jacket down a little to keep from discharging the battery. I'm thinking the seat would probably not be as valuable as a heated jacket (for me, at least, since I've never had a cold butt).

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
concur with Phil , although having done some miles in a couple of cages with heated seats they are nice. If you decide to go for it on NT by all means add a volt gage into your dash and pay attention to what it is telling you! I am sure you will love your Russell either way you get it!

Eldon

Bike
2010 Red Honda NT 700 V
Well, took delivery of my Russell on Tuesday, the 15th. Was way anxious to try it, but rain and drizzle all AM. Then, skies cleared and by 2:30 I was out for a 75 mile ride. For those who are considering ordering, here are a few thoughts. First off, their customer service is first rate. Kim who handles the phone and emails is prompt in getting back to you, answering any and all questions etc. I ordered the "dual" with extra support for the passenger, all vinyl with half moon pattern. The un-boxing was unique. A ton of packing material to make sure the saddle was safe and free from any damage. The seat itself - a thing of beauty. Quality workmanship - and it shows in every detail. Snaps into place just as stock does. Then - the ride. The first thing I noticed was that it indeed raises you up about 2". Am very glad the lowering process that was performed back in January had been done. Can nearly flatfoot once I slide forward in the seat ( 5' 8" , 30" inseam, 185 lbs.). Secondly, the saddle seat area is significantly more comfortable than the stock - but - the area that didn't work for me was lack of movement in any direction because of the rear section build up. I felt cramped. Thought about things over night and compared photos taken before of being seated on stock seat with center stand and straddling the bike - compared to ones taken yesterday with the new seat. Lost about 2" of seat / squirm room with no place but towards the fuel tank to move. Then, I took my wife for a ride. Now, she probably rides with me 4 or 5 times a year and the first thing to go, in a 30 minute ride, is the butt. Off we went for what turned into a nearly two hour round trip to a state park for a small hike and home. She commented several times how amazing the seat felt and when we returned, announced it was the best motorcycle ride she has ever had! No pain in the butt at ALL. As for me, with her on the back, the suspension lowered enough that I could flat foot with ease. The crunched feeling was still there, but with that kind of an endorsement, there was no way I would look to have Russell modify. After consulting with their seat builder, the compromise to "build up" the passenger seat and to prevent forward slide, diminishes driver surface area. The NT seat is not a large touring styled saddle. Thus, a new NT seat has been ordered and off it goes to Russell for a "solo", tailored for me : )

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I guess I wonder why you want to be able to move around more?

The seats are made to sit in one spot, not move around, and they do that well. If you do a second seat make sure they know why you want the second one and how much you plan to move around. Maybe a picture of you scrunched forward and one back. The 'soft' spots they put in the seat for your sit bones are small and if not elongated then you will end up with a seat that is comfortable in only one of the positions you want. They use the picture you send them to position and form the seat. Be careful when you take that picture to be in the position you want.

When I made my seat it was with one position in mind. Even with larger 'soft' areas I can tell when I am not sitting in the right spot because I get pressure points. Too far back and my tailbone is the 'spot'. Too far forward and my sit bones are out of the 'zone'.

Yes, you can squirm a bit to get the 'skin' so it is not 'tensioned', but, that should be it. Even putting feet forward on highway pegs will change how the seat feels, putting more pressure on the tail bone. Putting feet back on passenger pegs means the thighs take more pressure. But, I rarely move around on the seat, even on long rides. It is comfortable in that spot.

Bike
2010 Red Honda NT 700 V
Charlie - Very good point. What I mean is that the sweet spot, is sweet, But - it had to be moved forward to accommodate the additional "build" for the passenger seat. As you know, Russell requires photos of rider by his/her self and rider with passenger. When I compare my solo picture taken with stock seat, on center stand in normal riding position with the picture taken yesterday from same angle, same clothes, on the new seat, you can clearly see that my sweet spot is about 2" further forward, which changes the angle of my arms, legs and of course butt. Better, but not optimal. When I spoke with the builder he acknowledged as much. The new "solo" saddle should be spot on per conversation with Russell. Rear passenger will remain stock.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
With both the Russells I've had, one on my two '99 Kawasaki Concours and one on my NT, I've had enough room to move fore and aft a bit and would hate to give that up. Sometimes I even sit on the front edge of the passenger seat. My observation is that Russells don't really have "soft" spots. They don't need them. They are nice and firm but with no pressure points. IMO, pressure points are most often the result of too much softness. Russell saddles, like Brooks bicycle saddles just support you. I'm still waiting for my first discomfort on a Russell.

Top Bottom