Advise please on boots.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I like the Joe Rocket Meteor boots. I will probably get the higher Tourmasters as well. For leather care, I use Mink Oil.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I use the low-cut Tourmaster boots with a Velcro flap, an underlying flexible flap, and no laces. Completely water proof unless you stroll around in puddles deeper than their height. I wear overpants in wet weather that overlap these boots, so no water gets in them when riding. And you can walk around in these normally, without having to resemble Frankenstein's monster.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I am seriously considering the TCX X-5 boot, but what do you all do to care for the leather parts of your biking boots, especially the boots that end up being used in wet and cold conditions?

I can't recommend the TCX X-5s too highly. I had the Oxtar that preceded them and rode with them for nine years and well over 100,000 miles. I rode in lots of rain during that time and never really did anything to maintain them except maybe once rubbing them down with Obenauff's Leather Conditioner. They were still waterproof and comfortable when I replaced them with the X-5s. The only problem with the Oxtars was that I'd walked enough in them to do what I always seem to do with boots. I do something that shifts my heel to the inside of the boot and after enough walking and riding my heel is off-center to the inside. The biggest problem that causes me on the NT came when I tried to deploy the sidestand. They still walked pretty comfortably.

The X-5 is almost the exact same boot, but with slightly less ankle protection. But comfortable from the get-go, dry and warm, on or off the bike.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
SIDI ON-Roads, not cheap, but I have been on the same pair arround 100,000 miles, The letft sole has worn to the point that it was time to replace the soles, They are in the shop now being done with a added one inch spacer added to sole and heel area before the new soles are added, This will give me a extra inch of in-seam length. They have always been waterproof and they have seen thier share of rain,cold and heat and work well in all conditions, a occasional wipe down with langlitz leather dressing to improve thier appearance

Bike
Silver NT700V
When i started riding in 2008 I used my REI hiking boots. Shifter quickly started to wear a spot on the toe. I bought a pair of Alpinestars Ridge boots. These were economical, $110 IIRC and have proved long wearing Since August 2008 I've ridden about 34,000 miles on two bikes in all weather. No leaks, ever. For walking they are not the best but no worse than some cowboy boots I've tried. When i know I'll be doing a lot of walking at a destination, I throw in a pair of sneakers or hiking boots. I've done no maintenance on the Alpinestars boots and the only appreciable wear is to some of the Velcro. Overall a good pair of boots.

BTW, I am very hard to fit so I will only buy boots from a shop.

elizilla

I have a pair of Teknic waterproof boots that have lasted me some years now and are still waterproof. I was the victim of a parking lot domino situation, once, where another bike fell into mine just as I was about to climb off, and my foot was trapped. A second guy came over and helped pull the two bikes off me. The boot protected my foot very well - no injury to report. They have always been comfortable and the only problems I had with them was the squeaking when I walk. They're looking pretty tattered now, though, so I'll probably replace them this year. Teknic doesn't make this model anymore so I'll have to find something else.

I have a pair of Sidi Vertigo Air boots for hot weather, and I like them better, style-wise, than the Teknics. They're lighter and they feel more precise. There's a Sidi Vertigo waterproof boot but it's special for wide feet. I wish they had a regular version! I might try the wide ones anyway, or I might choose one of the other Sidis. Sidi makes a good boot.

The leather boots I have owned, haven't held up or been waterproof no matter what I treated them with. The most durable waterproof boots I have had, have all used something called Lorica. Sidi uses it, the Teknics have it, my old Frey Daytonas had it. I was a bit dubious at first, but it seems to be really good stuff.

Also, waterproof boots need to be lined with something. The ones with no lining always leak. And if you have boots resoled, make sure the cobbler doesn't screw up that lining. The new soles have to be glued, they cannot be sewn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2010 RED NT700V
These will be my next buy: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour-master-solution-20-wp-boots

I have the old SC style now and am very happy with them. Don't like the new style and will get the taller boot next time. They worked very well for me in the wet. For the cold you need to look at the right socks.
Those are the ones I have (Tourmaster Solution). I'm pretty happy with them so far. but have yet to test them in a downpour. My last "waterproof" boots were anything but, so I have high hopes for these. I hate having to pack overboots for the rain.

rcase13

I just bought a pair of the Alpinestars Alpha Touring boots. The tow area is really thick and is causing me a lot of problems shifting. It's hard to get my foot under the shifting. It's so thick I can't feel if I have my toe under the shifter or not. I keep having to look down. It's resulted in a lot of embarrassing stalls at the lights. Is this something I will get use to or is it time to return them?

rcase13

I did not realize you could do that. I will try that. I actually like the boots.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Just look at the linkage between the lever and the shifter. It's easy to do. Loosen the locknuts, rotate the shaft so that the lever moves up (or down), find the position you want, tighten the locknuts.

rcase13

Who ever had the bike before me must have had big feet as well. It was adjusted almost all the way out. Japanese bikes just aren't meant for size 12 Americans. Thanks for the heads up though. I was able to get a little adjustment out of them.

rcase13

I returned the Alpinestars and ordered a pair of Gaerne Flow Boots. Reviews of the Alpinestars even mentioned a large toe area that didn't play well with shift linkage. They bought the Gaernes and were happy. I wish I had a store in my town I could just go and try them on. The dealers near me don't carry touring boots. Go figure. Everyone around here just wears flip flops...

rcase13

I ordered my canyon riders from them. They will let you come and pick them up to avoid postage. They don't have a store front. They are internet only. It's kind of a pain to pick them up because it's the call center and they are pretty busy. You have to wait until one of the the four operators is through with a call. Can't really go and try on boots there. Most of the Internet places allow easy returns, I just have to be patient with the shipping times.

What we do have here is awesome Harley Davidson stores! I would say we probably have the best HD stores in the country. Nascar and Harley Davidson go hand in hand I guess. They don't seem to carry anything I want in the stores though. Nothing against HD just not my style. Heck it's nice that we have something made in America that we can export!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Heck it's nice that we have something made in America that we can export!
Well assembled in America anyway... Anyway, H-D boutiques are a good place to look for boots and they have a pretty healthy selection of sizes around here. Oddly enough my local Sears store carries the H-D boots in the Mens Shoe section... They also carry several other possible choices...

Top Bottom