Aerostich Falstaff Pants

I lucked out. Aerostich recently sold a bunch of individual items, some irregulars, some customs that evidently got returned. As soon as I got the email, I jumped on a pair of 34L Falstaff Pants, black, custom lengthened (one inch above knee and one inch below). I already have a Falstaff jacket and really like the feel and look of the waxed cotton. I had been thinking about the pants, but the cost including alterations and optional hip pads was really hard to swallow. So with the sale, I got exactly what I had been considering ordering but at a reduced price.

I already had a pair of Darien Light pants, also 34L, so I was pretty sure about size. I have a 31 inch inseam, and the Dariens are fine standing up, but several inches too short when I am on the NT. I also had to add some additional velcro attachment points in the Dariens to lower the knee pad position.

How do the Falstaff's compare to the Dariens? First a few downsides. The cotton lining on the Falstaffs are not as slippery as the insides of the Dariens (or most other nylon fabric overpants). This makes it harder to pull the Falstaffs on and off, since the fabric "drags" on your base pants. More wriggling is required to enter and exit the Falstaffs. Also, the knee pads can't be adjusted. Probably because velcro won't stick to the lining material, Aerostich uses light fabric pockets to hold the pads in the Falstaffs, rather than velcro attachment like the Dariens. So the Falstaff knee pads can't be moved, increasing the chance you'll need the extra expense custom alteration in leg length to get the correct pad placement. Finally, on my Dariens, the belt line is above the normal belt line of the base pant. So the Dariens really go up and over the base pant. Again, possibly because of the lining material, the Falstaff rides an inch lower on my hips, so the belt line falls on top of my base pants, which tends to bunch things up a bit. One result is that I can use the cheaper, bulkier TF3 hip pads in the Dariens. I have to use the slimmer, but more expensive, TF5 pads in the Falstaffs.

The Falstaffs are not about abrasion protection. But then neither are the Darien lights.

Finally, the Falstaffs are probably best for cooler weather riding. I have only been able to use them a couple of times in about 65 degree weather, and felt they were warmer than the Dariens. I plan to stick with vented nylon pants or mesh for hot weather. And I have an old pair of loose fitting padded joe rocket pants for colder weather.

The upside is simple. I really like the look and feel of the waxed cotton. There any many cheaper riding pant options out there. But the Falstaffs are pants you look forward to putting on, and I expect they will be my favorite cool weather riding pants.

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I have been watching the sale specials there for a long time, you can save a lot from time to timeif you know exactly what sizing you need.I got a roaccrafter two piece cutom fitted last spring and it fits very well and I now know my proper sizing if the right things should show up ther. The Falstaff products are nice, a good friend bought the Jacket and over the last two years has been very happy withit. I also have a 4 yea old darion light from the sales rack, it is ok, but a bit too long in sleeves but when I want a lighter jacket it works.

Top Bottom