Aerostich Pop-Up Experience

I volunteered for a few hours at the DC area Aerostich Pop-Up event last weekend. Had a great time chatting with some very experienced Aero owners, and some newbies.

Basically they have samples of all sizes of the suits, jackets and pants. Also gloves, boots, t-shirts, etc.

Nothing is for sale at the pop-up, since they need the full inventory to help customers find the best size. They do write up orders at the pop-up.

They already had a selection of "fit bikes" set up in the pop-up and did not need my NT.

The volunteers helped with crowd control. The four Aero employees were completely occupied helping customers with fit and selection. I think they spent about 1/2 hour each with customers on average. You may have to wait a bit to get with one of the employees -- appointments are recommended but not necessary -- but when you get with one you have their complete attention for as long as you have questions.

So if you go, be sure to check in with a volunteer to get your name on the list to be fitted. Even if you don't think you need to be fitted, you'll be surprised how much the Aero employees might point out to you.

The main problem with volunteering is that its very tempting to become a customer. Transit here I come.

Next Pop-up event is in Denver in early May, I think.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I was going to attend the pop up in St. Louis a few weeks ago with the intent of ordering a suit. I had a few questions that I wanted answered before I attended the event. I emailed Aerostitch advising that I planned on attending their St. Louis pop-up but had a few questions prior to the event and would they please answer them. They had several weeks to reply, but, never did. I figgered if they wuz too busy to reply, then I was too busy to be their customer.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Mike, that seems strange, but I know it happens. They have some great products, however I've seen signs of organizational issues there. So I'm not too surprised by what you experienced.

A friend of mine got a heated jacket there and was disappointed with the heat output (or lack thereof). He e-mailed them (twice) asking what the risistance should be and how much current it should draw so he could check it. He never got an answer. Turned out that part of the heat elements didn't work so they gave him a new one but still never answered his question.

Last summer when I ordered a new R3 suit they called me one AM and said my suit was ready. So I rode up there in the PM to pick it up. For 20 minutes they couldn't find it. Then they looked for another 10 minutes only to discover that it was still in production. It turned out that some boss pulled a lot of the production staff off their jobs for some other "priority" project and my suit that was minutes from being done and inspected was still at that stage hours later. I picked it up the next day with apologies, $50 off, and a handful of tee shirts. And I got to go for 2 rides instead of just 1.

I see Andy Goldfine (Mr Aerostich) ocasionally and I have other friends who work there. It is truely a unique opreation the likes of which are not seen elsewhere. But I am a fan of some (not all) of their products. My Darian suit served me well till I wore it out and I like the R3 too.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I also had an issue with them not responding to my email regarding their zipper pull upgrade for the R3. Fortunately Jim forwarded me the information so it worked out.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I'd guess they get hundreds of E-mails per week so it's tough to answer all of them. I love my Darian pants and Kinetsu electric vest. :)

Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
I purchased a used Classic Roadcrafter on EBay.
Aerostich was very quick to tell me, via email, that I am a size 44 Regular and so far I think they were correct.
The suit is rather dirty, so I'm waiting on some Nikwax to wash and tune up the waterproofing on the suit.
(Yes, I know that with someone else's road grime I can look like a real rider...ill put my own miles on it, thank you.)
I was very surprised at the amount of sun fading on the red suit. I don't really care, but I guess I would think that it would be simple to treat the fabric for sun fading? No?
There's a lot of seam sealer on the crotch, so obviously the previous owner had leaky crotch issues. I plan to see what the sealed crotch seams look like after the Nik wash and maybe reseal them.
I've read about washing this thing...any tips on washing and drying the suit?
Any do and don'ts for Roadcrafter maintenance that I should know?
Also, the suit came with back, knee, shoulder and hip armor. It appears to all be TF3. Do I need to upgrade this?

Thanks!

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Red is the worst color for fading. The early production ones were even worse. They just fade bad.

After washing make sure to get all the soap out and don't over do the soap. Double rinse is recommended. Then treat with Nikwax or similar product.
Warm dry only, don't get it too hot. The crotch leaking is dependent on the garment itself, the motorcycle, and how much it rains. OH, and your TF3 pads won't leak.

I think they have care instructions on line. If not they will probably send you instructions.

Bike
2009 BMW R1200RT
Thanks Jim.
I was less worried about the TF3 leaking than protecting me.
I thought I would just dry the suit outside in the sun???

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
I thought I would just dry the suit outside in the sun???
That will work. I usually use the wash-in NikWax plus the spray on when its hanging to dry. I ride in the rain a lot, never leaked. The one piece suits did have issues with water pooling in the crotch area, I hear the solution to that is when you ride in the rain, stand up once in a while to drain what may have pooled there. My two piece hasn't ever done that. You can also send the suit back to Duluth and for a $100, they will install the new style waterproof zipper. Look for waterproof zipper update just below the pic of the pink bike. http://www.aerostich.com/alterations

Every two or three years, I send my Roadcrafter back to Duluth for minor repairs and re-waterproofing. That, along with my end of season wash, keeps it in top shape.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
The Hi-Viz suit doesn't look great for too long either. It fades and looks grungy and washing it (or having Aerostitch wash it) doesn't make much difference. I’ve had two one-piece Roadcrafters and neither have ever leaked (except in strong crosswinds through open vents), not even at the crotch. I think the crotch leak syndrome must be a bike-related issue. On C-10 Connies and the NT, it’s never been an issue for me, even in all-day hard rain.

Top Bottom