Aging Bikers Settle for Comfy

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
At 69 I probably qualify to comment on this thread. I got my NT last spring in order to get more comfort than my last bike (Versys). I got the Versys because it was lighter than the Concours I had before that. I'd all done pushing around heavy bikes. The NT is as much as I can safely handle now. I plan to ride it for a while, but when the day comes that I can't handle it I'm not planning to get a 3-wheeler. I think I'll go right to a Miata. That way I can put the top on and drive it in the winter too. There is no way to tell until the time comes. Maybe I'll just have to be content driving my tractor.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
If I do it, will be out of desperation to continue to feel thr wind and open space.
As JungleJim said If you just want to "feel the wind and open space" buy a convertible...they are a lot cheaper. :rolleyes1:

Not a bad article at all... My Tri-Glide is more long distance capable, much better suited for two up touring; as in comfort, carrying capacity, and usable range, than any motorcycle I've owned or ridden... A "triked", or "hacked", Wing or BMW LT is all I can imaging that would even come close. I should have changed over years ago...this is a blast!

I do "cheat" though, the FJ1200 gives me all the "need for speed" I could ever want....:D At least until the Harley's warranty runs out and I add a "little" more power...:D Trikes are not for everyone, the transition can be "fun"...and I think the longer you have ridden the more "fun" the change over is... A minivan is the often the last ride of choice for a lot of "riders"...now that is truly "desperation" IMHO... :rolleyes1:

As they say on the trike forums: Why Three Wheels? Because Two is not enough, and Four is too many....

Last edited:

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Minivans make more sense to the rational me but that ain't the part of me buying a bike.
[video=youtube_share;6v4YNkurhLk]http://youtu.be/6v4YNkurhLk[/video]
There are options...

Bike
1999 Kawasaki Concours,
At 69 I probably qualify to comment on this thread. I got my NT last spring in order to get more comfort than my last bike (Versys). I got the Versys because it was lighter than the Concours I had before that. I'd all done pushing around heavy bikes. The NT is as much as I can safely handle now. I plan to ride it for a while, but when the day comes that I can't handle it I'm not planning to get a 3-wheeler. I think I'll go right to a Miata. That way I can put the top on and drive it in the winter too. There is no way to tell until the time comes. Maybe I'll just have to be content driving my tractor.
Ditto on the Miata. Nice ride. Not a lot of money. Probably lighter than my Concours. Ha!!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm 69 (and a half!), so I can post on this, too. At the moment, even with my 6th and 7th knees (counting the OEM ones), I'm happy with the NT. If I get to the point where it's way too much to handle, I don't know what I'll do. Sidecar rigs are intriguing. Trikes not so much so, yet. The CanAm sounds expensive and not terribly reliable.

I guess I'll just bumble along until I'm forced to do something different.

MaggieMan

Ahh, Top Gear, certainly the most enjoyable show on TV for an exotic car head like me. Where else can you find vitally important twaddle like the fact that the specially designed tires for the Bugatti Veyron are only safety rated for 15 minutes at top speed ... but that's ok because at top speed the fuel supply only lasts for 11 minutes.

And let's face it, Jeremy Clarkson is the consummate 50 year old - 9 year old boy!

MaggieMan

If I get to the point where it's way too much to handle, I don't know what I'll do. Sidecar rigs are intriguing. Trikes not so much so, yet. The CanAm sounds expensive and not terribly reliable.
Why not the hydraulically actuated - speed sensitive "training wheels" - "landing gear" I first saw on a GoldWing about 15 years ago? Seems to me the "perfect" solution ... faster than about 5 mph you have a 2 wheel motorcycle, slower than 5 mph you have a 4 wheel "trike". Has to be much cheaper than a full trike conversion and a lot more fun. I would think safer too.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I'm 70 and plan to ride for a long time. If I make the move to three wheels, it will probably be a Harley-Davidson sidecar rig. Test rode one and loved it.

RedBird

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 F800ST, 1973 R75/5
I agree with Phil. I went to the NT because my Valkyrie was getting too heavy for me when not moving down the road. I'm 72 and could have triked the Valk, but you know what, I never even thought of that at the time -- I thought about a lighter motorcycle. Now I have one and I intend to keep riding it until it becomes too much for me, then I shall consider what's next.

Bike
2010 RED NT700V
I'm 69 (and a half!), so I can post on this, too. At the moment, even with my 6th and 7th knees (counting the OEM ones), I'm happy with the NT. If I get to the point where it's way too much to handle, I don't know what I'll do. Sidecar rigs are intriguing. Trikes not so much so, yet. The CanAm sounds expensive and not terribly reliable.

I guess I'll just bumble along until I'm forced to do something different.
I can't speak for long-term reliability, but I CAN say that the Can Am Spyder is an absolute HOOT to ride. By the time I can't hold up two wheels any more, I assume they will have any reliability problems solved, so I WILL be getting one. I'm a young whippersnapper at only 56, so hopefully that will be many years in the future.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
By the time I can't hold up two wheels any more, I assume they will have any reliability problems solved, so I WILL be getting one. I'm a young whippersnapper at only 56, so hopefully that will be many years in the future.
After some careful research and speaking with several Can-Am owners before buying my Tri-Glide I hope for your sake it is "many years in the future." The sad part is we liked the Can-Am RT Limited but I was not willing to have a vehicle with questionable reliability and a very thin dealer network...that keeps changing dealerships quite often. Add in a relatively small motor, a 998cc Rotax, for two up on a heavy vehicle and the ridiculous routine service prices I was quoted, they make H-D look cheap, and it was soon voted out of the running... A nice concept and a very comfortable trike but it does need to mature a bit...

Aging!? Who you calling aged? As long as I can throw one leg over the saddle I.....feel.....YOUNG! Yaaaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaay!

Bike
1999 Kawasaki Concours,
I'd like to try a Can Am just to satisfy my curiosity. I have at least three friends riding BMW sidecar rigs. Two K models and one R. And their spouses go everywhere with them. I think that may be the route for me.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'd like to try a Can Am just to satisfy my curiosity. I have at least three friends riding BMW sidecar rigs. Two K models and one R. And their spouses go everywhere with them. I think that may be the route for me.
I really like the idea of a sidecar rig. But I hope two wheels continue to work for me for a few more years. I may go try a Spyder one of these days, but I'm thinking they're going to have a higher purchase price than I'm going to be able to afford after I retire. I might have the same problem with a sidecar rig, but I'm guessing that there are some sidecar outfits out there that are used and cheaper than a Spyder.

Bike
1999 Kawasaki Concours,
If you ever get a chance and it's convenient, I'd be very interested to see their rigs. I could take a ride up to meet next season if you give me a shout.
Ummm.. We have 8 inches of snow on the ground here now. Sorry.

Bike
1999 Kawasaki Concours,
I should read more carefully. You did say next season. One of those couples have been to Alaska and back with their rig. Retired teachers. Lucky dogs!

Top Bottom