mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
So I was wrong as well.... <sigh>.... So much for my remembery.... 😣

Mike

Bike
2010 silver NT700
I think Honda went that rather odd filter route, to give plenty of room above the velocity stacks. The common flat panel filters would not have worked with that arrangement. The ST1100 had long stacks, but they were curved like candy canes to reduce the height.

DonH

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Partly because of curiosity raised by this thread and the fact that I had a mouse problem in the garage last winter, I checked my air box/filter arrangement yesterday. Found out two things:
1. The direction of air flow is as DirtFlier says above, and
2. Yep, the mice visited last winter. I found about a dozen sunflower seeds inside the air filter! (They probably couldn't get any more to stay in there because of the vertical alignment of the filter and intake tube just below it.)

In one of my Goldwings years ago, the air box was nearly loaded with kernels of corn after winter. Surprisingly, it didn't seem to affect the way it ran, but sure surprised me when I opened the air box to check the filter!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I grew up on a farm. Mice moved corn kernels down the horizontal exhaust of his combine and deposited them at the head. Some of the corn found it's way into the cylinders through open exhaust valves. When he tried to start it the engine moved a small amount and stopped. The cylinder was full of corn and required the head to be removed to empty it.
Maybe need more cats to chase away the mice.

Brad

Top Bottom