Air Filter Change

Because I can't find the thread do you have to pull loose that industrial strength velcro to change the air filter?

Last edited:

tawilke46

I changed my stock air filter for a K&N air filter. You can order them online or I know you can get them at any CycleGear store. They are expensive but on the other hand you do not have to ever buy another air filter. Just clean and respray with the red spray and you are good for another 70-80k miles.
I assume you know how to get to the air filter housing. And you have all those bolts to take out of the air filter cover, and don't forget the one in the center hole like I did. Can't get the cover off with that sucker still in there!
Don't recall any velcro at all on my filter change out. Maybe I missed something? The stock filter just pulled straight out. Installed the K&N the same way the stock was installed and voila!
Replaced filter housing cover, got all the bolts reinstalled, put the gas tank back down, and installed all the "tupperware".
The K&N filter extends the requirement to clean or replace the air filter waaaaaay out there. Did not want to go through the hassle of changing the air filter every 15k miles.
All this probably does'nt help you much with the velcro question.

Last edited:

elizilla

Peel it up and shove a piece of cardboard in between, to keep it from re-hooking while you fight with the other fasteners.

OP
OP
I am having a hard time telling if the milage has dropped slightly. Since I am at 20k the filter may be getting a little dated at least by the Honda recommendation. Of course I am pushing the valve change length to the very limit and this could be a part of it. Could be the plugs which have not been changed either. I fact I am pushing about everything except the oil changes.
The real problem is the bike is sitting a lot due to winter and like a lot of Hondas I have owned tends to vent off a lot of gas sitting for any length of time. But it is time for some of the routine stuff whcih I have usually done over the years but just not quite as young as used to be. Thought I would try the fliter if I could.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I think the milage normally drops in the winter. Between longer warm-up times, less riding, and shorter trips the milage drops some.
I have never trended it all that close but it seems to always drop for me in the colder months.
Has anyone trended or graphed out milage by season?

Brad

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
I think the milage normally drops in the winter. Between longer warm-up times, less riding, and shorter trips the milage drops some.
I have never trended it all that close but it seems to always drop for me in the colder months.
Has anyone trended or graphed out milage by season?

Brad
Yes. This is true in all my ground vehicles. My guesses are that the engine has more warmup to do, air density (hence air drag) is higher and in some places there are differences in gasoline formulations. In the case of my Prius, the are cases where the engine runs more just to provide heat to the cabin. My loss of mileage runs 5-10%. This has been repeatable for a number of years. But the worst case was each of my ST1300s. Both of them had the original thermostats fail in their second winter such that the engines never fully warmed up. The typical wintertime mileage for me was 41-42 MPG. But with the failed thermostats, the mileage dropped to like 36. Replacement of the thermostats in both cases cured the problem.

tawilke46

Velcro's on the tupperware. That stuff is tenacious - I had the sticky side come loose from the plastic vs the loops letting go when I did my valves.
Ah, yes now I remember, that velcro. That was an ugly little encounter. I did manage to get the piece back on correctly.....after about 3 or 4 trys.:doh1:

elizilla

I took that velcro out altogether, and replaced it with a little square of foam weatherstripping so that the panel wouldn't slide around or vibrate, but I would be spared the ordeal of peeling it for future services.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
On a fuel injected vehicle, milage doesnt drop with a partly dirty air filter....the computer ajusts the mixture so you loose power, not milage. With a carburated vehicle, the mixture richens with a dirty filter so yes, you loose milage.
Non canceling turn signals and now velcro? What have I gotten into here????? ;)

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
I've raised the gas tank so many times that I forget about the Tupperware Velcro...no big deal. I changed my filter according to schedule. Very easy task compared to others.

Also agree about gas mileage dropping during the winter. Not sure why... BTW, winter's finally coming tomorrow.

silverdevil

you can clean the stock some, not much.
price from honda dealer was $50, price of K&N is about $10 more so K&N is cheaper over the long run.
one thing about the stock is I think it will hold my pickup and not cave any.

Top Bottom