Airborne FJR

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Just wait 'til post Thanksgiving and Christmas periods.. I work with someone that wants to ignore it all and go visit his brother and family 200 miles away for Thanksgiving just because he misses them... ugh... short term sacrifices lead to long term benefits..
I'm now a true "out-law" after refusing to participate in this years "family" holiday festivities. A gathering with twenty plus adults, with most still working, and around ten school age kids, is a disaster looking for a place to happen. To make it more "fun" several of them are rabid anti-vaxxers. ๐Ÿ™„ Just what I want to attend...:cautious:

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
I'm now a true "out-law" after refusing to participate in this years "family" holiday festivities. A gathering with twenty plus adults, with most still working, and around ten school age kids, is a disaster looking for a place to happen. To make it more "fun" several of them are rabid anti-vaxxers. ๐Ÿ™„ Just what I want to attend...:cautious:
Stay close to home and stay safe! Solo riding good.

Macka

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
In built up areas, the default speed is 50 kph but can be 70, 40, 30 or 20 kph (the Mayor decides)! Usually signposted.

On Departmental Roads (A and B roads in the UK), the default speed is 80 kph. In some Departments (Counties) and communes the limit is 90 kph. If the road has more than 2 lanes (3 lane roads the 90 only applies to the side with 2 lanes in the same direction), the default speed is 90 kph unless otherwise posted. Unfortunately signposting is extremely poor so you don't always know what the limit is. It's an absolute nightmare which is why I use the Sat Nag (GPS).

On dual-carriageways, the default speed is 90 kph unless otherwise posted then it can be any speed from 110 kph - 30 kph! The lower speeds (70 kph and below) are usually enforced by RADAR.

Autoroutes are 130 kph except in the rain when they are 110 kph. Roadworks are usually 70 kph but, again, this varies.

LEZ (Low Emission Zones) are in all the major cities, not just Paris. In general level 0-2 can enter at any time. 3 and above is banned at times of high pollution - 3 is allowed in during low pollution periods, 4 and above - it depends on the city. Paris is trying to reduce vehicular traffic so they have more strict rules coming in (https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/france/paris):

Currently: Max is level 3 except at times of high pollution
  • From 2022 - 2024: Max will be level 2. Level 3 and above banned
  • From 2024: Max Level 1 (with exceptions for motos - level 2 allowed - Deauville (NT700) is level 2).
  • From 2030: All petrol and diesel vehicles banned. Electric and hydrogen only!

As to Chinese Bat/pangolin Flu (regardless of strain), I believe it'll be summer 2022 (July-ish) before we in Europe are back to a semblance of normality. A good source of information is: Dr John Campbell
Prof. / Nurse Cambell is an interesting guy and you can tell he was/is a teacher..... his dates are about right. Since the vaccine is going to be shared equally between first, second and third world countries, we here in the states will be vacinated by about June 21st. Or at least the half that say they want it. The problems, as he pointed out, are no one is sharing or even letting us know if T cells from Sars 1. Covid colds. Covid 19 variations last long or are effective. Clearly, the antibodies last about 5 months...same as flu antibodies.....we have no idea how many people have been infected as many dont show symptoms or have mild ones. I suspect T cell tests are very complex. All we really know is that some people have been infected with different strains, but we dont even know how many. Still lots of unknowns. Lets hope the vaccines work before the virus mutates out of the vaccine's workable range.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Just wait 'til post Thanksgiving and Christmas periods.. I work with someone that wants to ignore it all and go visit his brother and family 200 miles away for Thanksgiving just because he misses them... ugh... short term sacrifices lead to long term benefits..
Exactly correct. And that is what is going to happen. Arrogance generating spreader events. Like college kids renting a house off campus for a day and having a huge party. I am keeping track of our county and watching what happens after T day, X mas and New Years......the head of the state health board here is making plans to go back into lockdown if they have to. I went to Walmart for a minute and the toilet paper shelves and paper towel shelves and kleenex shelves are pretty thin.
These are the KNOWN cases. No one knows the real case numbers.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I am kind of fond of living still, plus any damage that I might incure due to covid is not good. I love T day....my fav holiday. I bought a spiral cut ham and will eat half at
t-day and half at Xmas. New years I will go to bed at 11 pm. Everyone have good thoughts for the vacccines. Cant wait to see how the govt handles anti vaccers.....I am sure different countries will do different things.....

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
This pandemic shows the real issues of mankind: ignorant egocentrics... :cautious:

I mean is it really so hard to maintain the few procedures and measures required?!
Avoid unnecessary activities/contacts, wash your hands, keep distance, wear a mask where required... this isn't hard at all...

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
[off-topic]
Among other things, I teach medical English to health professionals in France so I have to keep up with reliable sources of information. I am in contact with Pharmacists and Doctors, both in the UK and France, who are dealing with patients with the virus. Interestingly, they all say that, provided you have a good amount of vitamin D, usually about 33 ng/ml (82.4 nmol/l) in your blood stream though anything over 20 ng/ml is good, your chances of surviving the virus are significantly increased. Based on this, the UK is now providing vitamin D to people most vulnerable to the virus free of charge (it's just started this week).

Note, vitamin D doesn't give you immunity, it helps your body fight off the virus by strengthening your immune response.

To achieve this, in winter, 1,000โ€“4,000 IU (25โ€“100 mcg) of vitamin D daily should be ideal for most people to reach healthy vitamin D blood levels (do not exceed 4,000 UI without consulting your doctor). Dr Campbell suggests 2,000 - 3,000 UI daily. If you haven't been taking vitamin D or have not been in the sun for a while, it can take up to a month for your system to have sufficient vitamin D in the blood stream.

The best source of vitamin D is the sun on your bare skin (sun screen required). Failing that Cod Liver Oil capsules (yes, I know they don't taste nice).

Finally, as vitamin D strengthens your body's immune system so it also helps to fight off other viruses like the Common Cold, the Flu etc.
[/off-topic]

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
[off-topic]
Among other things, I teach medical English to health professionals in France so I have to keep up with reliable sources of information. I am in contact with Pharmacists and Doctors, both in the UK and France, who are dealing with patients with the virus. Interestingly, they all say that, provided you have a good amount of vitamin D, usually about 33 ng/ml (82.4 nmol/l) in your blood stream though anything over 20 ng/ml is good, your chances of surviving the virus are significantly increased. Based on this, the UK is now providing vitamin D to people most vulnerable to the virus free of charge (it's just started this week).

Note, vitamin D doesn't give you immunity, it helps your body fight off the virus by strengthening your immune response.

To achieve this, in winter, 1,000โ€“4,000 IU (25โ€“100 mcg) of vitamin D daily should be ideal for most people to reach healthy vitamin D blood levels (do not exceed 4,000 UI without consulting your doctor). Dr Campbell suggests 2,000 - 3,000 UI daily. If you haven't been taking vitamin D or have not been in the sun for a while, it can take up to a month for your system to have sufficient vitamin D in the blood stream.

The best source of vitamin D is the sun on your bare skin (sun screen required). Failing that Cod Liver Oil capsules (yes, I know they don't taste nice).

Finally, as vitamin D strengthens your body's immune system so it also helps to fight off other viruses like the Common Cold, the Flu etc.
[/off-topic]
My wife and I take vit D every day, even though in the summer we get loads...winter here...not so much....
Here is one of those charts that leaves you scratching your head looking for answers. Its a seven day rolling average of new covid cases for the last week. The dark counties have over 100 new cases a day average for the last week, per 100,000 residents, that they know about. It is easy to see that Spokane County is actually driving the increases for the entire state of WA. 100 a day doesnt seem like much till you realize over ten days, thats one percent of your population that they know about....you walk into a walmart and at least one person just tested positive.
So look at the country...population density? Nope....Cold weather? Not likely. Illinois is having a nice warm fall...they are getting hammered. I got nothin'

a seven day.jpg

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Paris is trying to reduce vehicular traffic so they have more strict rules coming in (https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/france/paris):
Currently: Max is level 3 except at times of high pollution
From 2022 - 2024: Max will be level 2. Level 3 and above banned
From 2024: Max Level 1 (with exceptions for motos - level 2 allowed - Deauville (NT700) is level 2)
From 2030: All petrol and diesel vehicles banned. Electric and hydrogen only!
So what about historic vehicles? (by the time the NT and ST will qualify... ;) )

As to Chinese Bat/pangolin Flu (regardless of strain), I believe it'll be summer 2022 (July-ish) before we in Europe are back to a semblance of normality.
My GF/partner working in hospital administration is also on the information-vein in this... ๐Ÿš‘

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
Dirtflier, it's not as high as some of the jumps I did on my off-road vehicles. Probably about an inch. It's at about ten and a half minutes...

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
My wife and I take vit D every day, even though in the summer we get loads...winter here...not so much....
Here is one of those charts that leaves you scratching your head looking for answers. Its a seven day rolling average of new covid cases for the last week. The dark counties have over 100 new cases a day average for the last week, per 100,000 residents, that they know about. It is easy to see that Spokane County is actually driving the increases for the entire state of WA. 100 a day doesnt seem like much till you realize over ten days, thats one percent of your population that they know about....you walk into a walmart and at least one person just tested positive.
So look at the country...population density? Nope....Cold weather? Not likely. Illinois is having a nice warm fall...they are getting hammered. I got nothin'

a seven day.jpg
Don't know about this map. the whole west coast is light blue and most of North Dakota is in the black. I don't even think ND has 100000 people in it. Looks like the map is a reverse color image.

OP
OP
JQL

JQL

Bike
Don't know about this map. the whole west coast is light blue and most of North Dakota is in the black. I don't even think ND has 100000 people in it. Looks like the map is a reverse color image.
It is quite representative of the amount of "sun on the skin". Areas where people are covered up or stay inside show the highest concentrations...

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
A factor may be that people are driven indoor enclosed spaces by the weather. Cases increased in FL and the SW late Spring early Summer when the heat encouraged people into the air conditioned spaces. ๐Ÿค”

Reactions: JQL

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Driven by the numbers of infections here in AuSTria they now instate a(nother) full lock-down, plus a 24hrs curfew both starting next week (currently 2000~0600hrs...)

Bike
Red NT
Not a whole lot of airborne action there sir...... I'll have to get my hands on my buddys go pro footage of me hitting some RR tracks on my FJR.
Even threw in a little whip while I was at it:)

Top Bottom