Alternator connector-to-reg/rec

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Out of curiosity, I removed the seat from my bike and took a look at the main connector from the Alternator-to-Reg/Rec (3 yellow wires). The blades and sockets looked fairly clean and without corrosion. There was a tiny bit of discoloration on one side perhaps from the factory grease overheating? Anyhow I blasted both sides clean with contract cleaner, cleaned as best I could then packed the female sockets with fresh di-electric grease. Ready for another 75k miles!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Out of curiosity, I removed the seat from my bike and took a look at the main connector from the Alternator-to-Reg/Rec (3 yellow wires). The blades and sockets looked fairly clean and without corrosion. There was a tiny bit of discoloration on one side perhaps from the factory grease overheating? Anyhow I blasted both sides clean with contract cleaner, cleaned as best I could then packed the female sockets with fresh di-electric grease. Ready for another 75k miles!
It's been a while since I peeked at mine.... better do it before a long ride.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Yes, this connector carries a lot of current. The discoloration can be from heat, environmental exposure to the plating, other factors. This connector is not weather sealed like the ECM connectors are, it's good idea to service it occasionally.

Bike
2010 NT700V
I've removed this connector from my other bikes by splice/solder. I will probably do the same to the NT at some point.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Huge problem with the older VFRs, and with Subaru Headlight connectors. And many other bike and car connectors......Some people "exercise" connectors to lower the age related contact resistance. I am a proponent of replacing them if that is easy to do or doing a splice.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I took a 90+ mile ride yesterday and noticed right off that battery voltage was slightly higher than before my connector maintenance. I installed a Datel digital voltmeter on my NT from new so I can easily see minute differences. The average change was around +0.2 V. :)

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I took a 90+ mile ride yesterday and noticed right off that battery voltage was slightly higher than before my connector maintenance. I installed a Datel digital voltmeter on my NT from new so I can easily see minute differences. The average change was around +0.2 V. :)
That looks like the voltage drop one would expect through a higher resistance connector.... now I gotta check mine!

Mike

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Not exactly earth shattering but still nice and much better than going the other way! :)

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Not exactly earth shattering but still nice and much better than going the other way! :)
Voltmeters are always a good idea on charging systems that are as primitive as those on motorcycles. My XT has a built in one. The trick is finding a spot to attach one to that isnt on when the bike is off. Pleanty of digital light stick on ones available on the market.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For my voltmeter, I tapped into the wires going to my Powerlet which receives Switch ON power. And that Powerlet plug is only used with my elec vest's heat controller so used rarely. I would guess the current draw from the digital voltmeter is almost too small to measure.

Bike
2010 NT700V
My NT came with the Hondaline heated grips. They're plugged to the accessory harness with bullet crimp ons. I just stripped the wires back on an Amazon special voltmeter and stuffed the bare ends into the heated grips connectors after unplugging then replugging effectively pinching the voltmeter wire in place. Voltmeter is adhesive backed and silicone adhesive glued to my brake master window side.

OP
OP
DirtFlier

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"....Pleanty of digital light stick on ones available on the market...Coyote Chris"

With those colored lights there could be a voltage drop but if it's still in that particular voltage range, then you'd never know it. Just get one that reads actual numbers with a decimal point! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom