An interesting approach to heated grips

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I just ran into this website while surfing around the net. It uses a "different" approach to grip heaters. I rather like this approach as you don't have to mess with new grips. I think you could remove the bar ends on the NT and the heaters would just slip right in. They are quite reasonably priced. The only drawback I can see it that they would likely take a tad longer to warm up.

http://www.pollyheaters.com/ph400.htm

Whatcha all think?

Mike

Bike
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Mike, this is different than anything I've seen. It looks like you will still have to drill holes through the handlebars in order to run the wiring to the elements. Nice price on them, but only 2 heat settings that I could see. Let us know if you decide to try them out.

bicyclist

Apart from losing the weights, you'll be trying to heat the grips through the bars which will conduct heat away. In addition, the heat will have to travel through the tubing on the throttle side. Doesn't look very practical.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Doesn't look too practical to me. You may get enough heat conducted trough the bars and throttle tube but I think the internal bar end would have to go away and I would not want to get rid of the ends. It also calls for a pretty large hole for the wires in the bar. I would not drill a 3/8 hole in the bar. That is large and may weaken it too much.

Brad

Bike
Silver NT700V
Instructions lost me on step one where it call for grip removal and drilling a 3/8" hole int he handlebar. I have neither the skills nor the tools to properly do something like that.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
My concern is that you will have to remove not only the bar ends but the internal weights as well. That could create a really buzzy set of handlebars with all the weights removed....
I've never had the bar ends off the bike. Are there internal weights inside the tube? I assumed that the only weights were the bar ends. I also assumed that after the cartridge heaters were slipped in the tube and secured, the bar ends could be reinstalled. A lot of assumptions I know since I've never had 'em apart.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Yes, there are internal weights that would need removing. I agree with the sentiment that this seems really hard to install and questionable in terms of doing the job. Have you seen reviews any where?

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
Plus the internal weights contain the threads that anchor the bolts that hold the outer weights in place. And they sit right where these heater elements would go.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
There is a picture somewhere of the bar end internals. Mostly it is a clip that snaps into a hole in the handlebar to secure it and the threads that hold the external weights in place.

Brad

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
carry a spare battery and attach leads to either end of your handlebars. that will heat things up. very easy installation and removal. easily transferred between multiple bikes. also can thaw out frozen pipes in your house. i need to market this idea.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
carry a spare battery and attach leads to either end of your handlebars. that will heat things up. very easy installation and removal.

That's what I love about the Forum! This is the kind of ingenuity and inventiveness that will propell the US back to world dominance in engineering and technology.

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Plus the internal weights contain the threads that anchor the bolts that hold the outer weights in place. And they sit right where these heater elements would go.

Nutz! Then this approach would work not so good on the NT.

Mike

OP
OP
mikesim

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Nope, way too many issues... Here is a parts breakdown / drawing of the handlebars showing the internal weights on both sides....
What happened to the good ol' days when handlebars wuz jus' empty toobs?

Mike

Top Bottom