Another Drift...

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
...on the High Plains of NE Colorado. My friend Larry and I decided it was too nice a day not to take a ride. We wanted to go the mountains, but weren't sure what it would be like in the area where the Cameron Pike and Troublesome Fires have burned. Heavy snow at the first of last week and lower wind in the mountains have given the fire teams time to extend their control, and I think all the roads up there are open, but we decided to do our 140-mile loop out northeast of Greeley to Briggsdale on CO-392 and then north on County Road 77 to the nearly-dead little town of Hereford, east on County Road 136 and then south on CR89 to the bigger and more prosperous town of Grover.

IMG_0002.JPG
Northbound on CR77 with the northern end of the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains in view 80-90 miles west of us.

IMG_0005.JPG
Curves!! Basically rare on the high plains. These are about 8 miles north of Grover.

When we left Greeley at 11AM, it was 57F, but by the time we got up the road just a little, the temperature had soared to 70. By the time we made Grover, it was 80F! I had started off wearing my Aerostitch Wind Blocker Fleece under my 'Stitch R-3 and we didn't stop till Grover. By then, I was sweating!

Grover isn't growing, but it seems stable for now. My wife, Joanne, lived there in the late 60s while her first husband was doing field research for his PhD in ornithology to write his thesis on mountain plovers. The town is close to a huge and still-growing wind farm and workers there are living in Grover. Some of them rent houses and a lot live in an RV park there. There is some oil field work, but right now there isn't any drilling going on, and maintaining existing wells doesn't take a lot of people.

Larry and I ate at the Grover Market and Restaurant, which serves pretty good burgers. The market isn't very big but when you wander around their aisles, the way they meet a lot of needs for a town that's 50-60 miles from anywhere else to shop. They've got hardware, building materials, a good range of groceries, meat, even some electronics. There's a library, a nice school (because of tax income from the wind farm and oil field) that services a bunch of farms and a huge geographical area but only has 80 students K-12. The school is highly rated although not too many kids from there go on to college.

IMG_0013.JPG
Keota, CO, on County Road 390.

South of Grover, CR390 has only recently been paved. It follows a straight line from Hereford to Keota (the SW gateway to Pawnee Buttes) and on to CO-14. That line was made by a railroad spur that originated in Cheyenne. When it was gravel, it was heavily washboarded due to a lot of trucks cutting off from 14 to shorten the trip to Cheyenne. I only rode it once, avoiding it partly because of the washboard which would beat you up and partly because of the dust and gravel thrown up by the trucks. I did drive it a few times when going to meetings in Cheyenne and was lucky never to have a windshield broken! One of the interesting pieces of history about Keota involves a young man who grew up there in the teens and '20s. He took the train to Cheyenne and got a job with the Union Pacific. He had only finished 9 or 10 grades of school but was a bright, energetic, ambitious man who by the late '30s had become the President of the Union Pacific Railroad.

On our way home, from Grover we followed CR390 to CO-14 and could see what at first just looked like nice clouds. But, alas, as we went west on 14, we could tell that we were also seeing smoke. As far as I could tell there was only a little smoke from the Cameron Peak Fire, NW of Ft Collins, but quite a bit more from the Troublesome Fire, which is the one that ran into RMNP and has destroyed several hundred homes. As we rode under the smoke, the temperature dropped to about 75.

I won't get another chance to ride this week and next week looks like it's going to bring winter temps to stay. :-(

Here's a link to my Spotwalla track. I recommend viewing in Spotwalla's hybrid view: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=24db55fa2175bae6a0&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Keota didn't have any pavement from any direction until recently. I don't know when they paved the diagonal from Grover to Keota, but would guess it's been in the last two-three years. The diagonal going SE from Keota to CO-14 is still unpaved, but they've built a new paved road that is labeled Country Road 390 that was finished about a year ago.

I don't know if it was built for the oil traffic, but I'm pretty sure it was built with tax revenue from oil, just like the new building for the Pawnee School in Grover was funded. CR89, that runs almost due north from Grover until it curves west and turns into CR136 until it gets to Hereford and turns into CR77 has been paved in the last three years, as well as the diagonal on CR390 between Hereford and Grover.

When I was on my way to Spearfish at the end of June, I had ridden from Greeley to Hereford and was planning on taking CR79 north into Wyoming past Carpenter to I-80, they had torn up 79 and were in the process of repaving it. I was afraid I was going to have to go clear back south to 14 and then up CO-71 into Nebraska, but there was a detour about a mile east of Hereford. It started off as a nicely graded dirt road and then after about a mile it turned into badly graded mud! I slipped and slid about 3 miles north and the detour sign pointed back west to CR79, but that stretch looked like it had had manure rototilled into it. It was really a mess and there was no way I was going to try to take it! But two miles north of that turn there was a normal dirt-gravel road back west and I survived!

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Memories. I don't know that exact area; but a dozen or so times I've crossed the prairie through Nebraska, and then into Denver. Both on the Interstate and on the old US routes.

Your story about the Union Pacific president also gives us pause: That used to be how it was done. Abraham Lincoln, many people don't realize...never even finished high school, and never went to college. He apprenticed with a law office, and then took the Bar Exam. That was perfectly normal for the time.

Railroading until the last 20 years, still honored that Promote-From-Within ethic. Many top managers and CEOs of the railroad companies of the 1960s, started by oiling or firing engines. Even when I hired...when they would hire, it would be in job lots. There were about eight of us assigned to Collinwood Yard (Cleveland) and another six went to Frontier Yard (Buffalo).

Of the eight...about four didn't make it. Two were fired and two decided (reasonably) the lifestyle, of 70-hour weeks, no day/night breakdown, no structure at all...wasn't worth it. It is hard on health. Of the four, one became a trainmaster. One became a Road Foreman - engineers reported to him. One, who was a photographer before he hired on the railroad (extensive work for Playboy magazine) got moved into Training - to make training-instruction videos for the company. And one was moved into the CSX beehive in Jacksonville, Florida. Funny...most Ohio residents, especially in the winter months, would jump at a chance to move to Florida with a big raise in pay. He didn't want to; but he wanted and needed his job...and was on a career climbing trajectory.

And then, little old me...I kept running engines for my 12 years with Conrail and then CSX Transportation as they took it over.

Ah, some ya win, some ya lose. Considering the pension benefits, I did all right...the glass really is half full...
Your story reminds me of a time a little girl asked me what I do. When told her I was an engineer. She then asked me, Do you drive trains?

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
When I was a little kid (kindergarten through 2nd grade) we lived in Eldorado, Kansas, and the AT&SF was still running some passenger consists with steam. We'd go to the depot about once or twice a month to watch the train come in and leave. I wanted to grow up and be an engineer! It took me a long time to warm up to diesel power. But, I'll bet that being an engineer on a diesel was probably more fun than being one on steam. Too bad the minutia took the joy away. :cry:

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Did you drive trains that had pusher engines at the rear? I had never thought about the center of weight issue in regard to those until I read a book by John McPhee called "Uncommon Carriers." He rode towboats, trains, and brought the people who operated those things into focus and gave me at least some understanding of what those jobs entailed.

Top Bottom