Another GPS Mount..........

Moto-Kafe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I have a Garmin ZUMO 396 LMT-S GPS Unit on my vstrom, mounted directly above the instruments........perfect line of sight on that bike. I wanted to swap up the ZUMO from bike to bike (Vstrom to NT700) without much hassle, so came up with this version on the NT700. I would have preferred to have it higher up above the instruments, like the Suzuki, but really did not feel like attaching to the windshield mounts and/or drilling holes in the top of my dash, etc, etc.........so opted for a lesser mounting location. But, it IS easy to reach, unsnap the GPS, and take it with me or move it to the vstrom. I have had the farkle-parts for a few months now and just now got around to installing.........so, I probably won't have any manufacturer/part number links for you, sorry. (I believe all were purchased off Ebay tho). There are approximately (5) main pieces: the handlebar clamp bracket, the threaded Garmin 1" ball, the socket (for the ball) + faceplate for the ZUMO Mount, the ZUMO Mount, and a wiring harness pigtail.
1. Handlebar Clamp Bracket........I found these brackets from Bike Master a few years ago, and ordered a bunch of them.......cannot find them now on their website?? I have used them on (3) different Honda's and love them. They come as a set, for 7/8" handlebars, and have an offset additional threaded mounting hole to install a plate/bracket/whatever......the two clamps are opposite hand. There are (4) possible positions for the offset......offset out + up, offset in + up, out + down, and offset in + down. I only used one of the two brackets in this install, but fabricated mounting plates for the other two bikes I used the clamps on. They are VERY versatile and handy. NOTE: I do have a few sets remaining, ping me if interested.......they are $17/pair.......and come with M8 bolts for the accessory holes.
2. Threaded Garmin Ball........it came with different length bolts. The bolt slides down thru the top of the ball.
3. Ball socket + plate. Pop the socket onto the ball and screw the threaded collar tight to position (or move) to what angle you want your GPS/phone. It can swivel around the ball to the desired location.
4. ZUMO plate that snaps onto the back of my GPS.
5. Wiring pigtail.........I believe it is specific for my model GPS, but the connection into the back of the ZUMO may be the same for other models?? Anyway, I have it wired directly to the battery........will need to remember to shut off the GPS each time I stop for any duration to keep the battery from draining. Guess I could splice in a simple "On/OFF" switch/button if it proves to be a problem.

NOTE: the PO had installed bar-risers, which makes tilting the tank back for wiring the GPS up alittle more involved......had to disconnect the handlebars and move them out of the way. Also, the final position of the GPS screen is not blocked by my Tankbag, but could be viewed "easier" (i.e. more forward) without having the bar-risers installed. And, my current GPS position will require me to "think harder" when reaching to turn the ignition key off/on......minor drawback, IMO.

I probably did not do a good job here explaining the functions of each part, but most gearheads here will get the idea easily..............

PA250017.JPG

PA250016.JPG

PA250006.JPG

PA250007.JPG

PA250009.JPG

PA250013.JPG

PA250020.JPG

PA250021.JPG

PA250022.JPG

PA250023.JPG

PA250026.JPG

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
That's pretty much where my Zumo 595 sits. Getting to the key is a wee bit tricky, but doable. Had a bit of a glare problem but found a glare shield on Amazon that really helped.

Mike

I prefer the Sat Nav to be on eye level, fitting on top of the instrument console was an easy job, plates both outside and inside give a real solid Base.

sat nav2.jpg

Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
Mine (Ultimate Add-ons phone holder) is up there as well - couple of plates and a mount and easy to get at (and hard wire) and no issues with keys or obstructing anything. Plenty of room under the 'dash' cover for nuts bolts cables etc.

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
I prefer the Sat Nav to be on eye level, fitting on top of the instrument console was an easy job, plates both outside and inside give a real solid Base.
pic of the plates please, this may become a winter project :)...

Top Bottom