Another Latch Replacement

MCG

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
The plastics that hold a catch on the lid of the left hand bag broke a month or so ago, and it was clear that it was time to abandon the original latches and go for the option of new external latches. I had already used epoxy on the catches on the lids, but one on the left side broke again and the lid would not stay closed, and one of the latches on the right side was not catching.

So, after reading everything I could find on this forum, I started looking into latch options. I thought I had a solution with the Franzen Automatic Drawbolt latches that others have talked about here, but I couldn't find them for sale in the configuration I wanted (black and some locking and some not-locking). My second choice was the latches from Kawasaki C-10 cases. Since DH rides a Connie, we belong to COG, and have a friend with a donor bike and working latches, this was my solution.

I think this fix happened just in time because when I removed the right side bag (the one where only one latch was catching) I found the the internal plastics that take the screws that hold on the latch mechanism on the bike side of the bag were all broken. The only thing that was holding this mechanism in place was the screws that attach the reflector.

We attached the catches on the body of the bags with rivets and the latch on the bag with screws. Both are reinforced with washers.

The boiggest problem we ran into was forgetting about the screw in the right bag that hold both bags together. Since we removed the left bag first, we missed that screw.

Below are some shots of the replacement process:

P1060779.jpg
P1060782.jpg
P1060807.jpg
P1060785.jpg
P1060801.jpg
P1060805.jpg
P1060810.jpg

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Nice work! I like the wider latch for stability, but there weren't many options available.

I'll be posting pics of mine soon, too.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had two '99 Connies. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

Did you have a backing plate behind the catch on the inner pannier?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
Here are my Southco latches, part # V7-10-115-50.

I opted for the smaller ones, and black to match the black plastic parts of the bike. I positioned it so that all 4 screws of the latch were on one side of the wall/rib running around the inside of the pannier lid. However, this caused 2 problems: 1) I have to unlock it and remove the key to unlatch it, because if I leave the key in, it swings into the grab handle. Not the end of the world, because it keeps the key in my hand, which is probably a good place to keep from forgetting it and leaving it in the bike. And my bike is a recreational vehicle, not my commuter, so I can live with it. 2) My fancy threaded aluminum plate hits the lip on the edge of the pannier housing when closed. (I'll try to remember to add more pictures later.) It's for this reason I couldn't put nylock nuts on those 2 screws. They are still threaded into the aluminum. I will probably add some Loctite for security. I found a nice, small metric tap set with drill bits at Home Depot for $30. Latches were ~$18 each from McMaster-Carr, and I don't know what shipping is, as I piggy-backed it on an order at work. :)

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/album.php?albumid=591

(Bruce, I win the award for 'Least Fugly'! :-D )

Last edited:
Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Here are my Southco latches, part # V7-10-115-50.

I opted for the smaller ones, and black to match the black plastic parts of the bike. I positioned it so that all 4 screws of the latch were on one side of the wall/rib running around the inside of the pannier lid. However, this caused 2 problems: 1) I have to unlock it and remove the key to unlatch it, because if I leave the key in, it swings into the grab handle. Not the end of the world, because it keeps the key in my hand, which is probably a good place to keep from forgetting it and leaving it in the bike. And my bike is a recreational vehicle, not my commuter, so I can live with it. 2) My fancy threaded aluminum plate hits the lip on the edge of the pannier housing when closed. (I'll try to remember to add more pictures later.) It's for this reason I couldn't put nylock nuts on those 2 screws. They are still threaded into the aluminum. I will probably add some Loctite for security. I found a nice, small metric tap set with drill bits at Home Depot for $30. Latches were ~$18 each from McMaster-Carr, and I don't know what shipping is, as I piggy-backed it on an order at work. :)

http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/album.php?albumid=591

(Bruce, I win the award for 'Least Fugly'! :-D )
Yep, you win... Winner, Chicken Dinner!!!

Attachments

Top Bottom