Another mini-milestone

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
... and a momentary cacophany of fours and zeroes. Just as I pulled into my driveway about a a couple of hours ago, my NT turned its odometer to read 40,000 miles. In addition, the clock said 4:40 PM, and the GPS said I was 40 feet from destination.

I tried to get all those numbers in the picture, but before I could get the camera out, the time had rolled over to 4:41 and the GPS said that I had moved ten feet away from my destination (just inside the garage door).

I had ridden up into the near edge of the Front Range for what a bunch of us old Concours ZG-1000 riders call the Wrench and Wretch. We used to do lots of sorta' minor mechanical stuff to our C-10s...valve adjustments, fork seal replacements, sometimes even new tires, balance shaft seal repairs... it was a good way for newbies to the C-10 to learn how to maintain them.

Today was a little different: there were four C-14s, one R1150GS, one KLR-650, and one NT700V. We didn't do anything mechanical. But we ate a good batch of red beans and rice along with some fresh home-made cornbread. We kicked tires and told lies and had a good time. I had known I would turn over to 40,000 sometime either today or tomorrow, but thought it was kinda' neat that it happened right here in front of my house.

I'll post some pictures of the odometer just so you'll all know what it will look like in advance of making 40,000 on your under-used bikes. :)

I'll also put some of the Denalis (and their effects) up in the "Show Me Your Lights" thread.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Ooooooo-ey, Bob! They're going to be even more fun! After June of 13, I won't be commuting a whole 1.1 mile to the office every day. And I'll whip out more than half of 40,000 miles when Rick and I do the EPIC Ride to Alaska, the Four Corners of the US, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
And u havent had any real issues with ur vtwin? Will still keep Dudley after u get 100,000 miles on him?

Nope. And yep. From what I read on the UK Forum, I'm willing to keep him till repetitive troubles start. Lots more miles to ride!

1TRAK

Congrats Phil, 40000 is a lotta rides! Maybe you and Rick could help us geezers and develop "Real Fit Gel Shorts" or something along those lines ??? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
There was a guy named Morris Krumke who rode a Goldwing 1500. He had more lights of different sizes than anybody I'd ever seen and an auxiliary tank that took him to the IBA-mandated 11.5 gallons. Then, he got a trailer, put more auxiliary tanks in it, and managed to plumb them into the bike's fuel system. He wore a condom-style catheter and ran it down his leg I guess.

Then, IIRC, he took off from Seattle or somewhere in the Pacific Northwet and didn't stop (or, the story goes, even put a foot down) until he got to Tulsa.

He must have eaten a low-fiber diet for a few days before he left!

tawilke46

I would have fallen asleep on the bike and gone off into the weeds somewhere. I don't know how folks do stuff like that without fatigue taking over!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Then, IIRC, he took off from Seattle or somewhere in the Pacific Northwet and didn't stop (or, the story goes, even put a foot down) until he got to Tulsa.
The sad part is behavior like that is more likely to get you a tombstone than a milestone... :eek1:

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The sad part is behavior like that is more likely to get you a tombstone than a milestone...

For most people, that would be true. Apparently not for Morris. He is one of the exceptions that seems to prove the rule. I think he's quit doing really LD rides not, though. I haven't seen him or heard anything about him in two-three years.

Top Bottom