Another NT newbie

I just picked up a 2010 nt700 I had a NC700 but I needed a little more wind protection. It’s funny how they’re both 700’s but the motors are so different. I like the higher rpm’s of the nt. I haven’t had the weather to ride it much yet to windy and cold in NJ. I love how smooth the bike is, I’ve had a Harley sportster and a street glide. Love the wind protection of the street glide but the bike didn’t get used that much. I just wanted to say hello to you all..

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
If you are from south Jersey, I'd expect you to say "hello to youse", not "you all". :)

Just kidding... the NT is smooth and I find the stock windshield provides a lot of protection. I've done two cross country trips on it, and never experienced buffeting.

You'll love the quality, comfort, and reliability of the NT.

OP
OP
Mudduck
If you are from south Jersey, I'd expect you to say "hello to youse", not "you all". :)

Just kidding... the NT is smooth and I find the stock windshield provides a lot of protection. I've done two cross country trips on it, and never experienced buffeting.

You'll love the quality, comfort, and reliability of the NT.
Yes I love the stock windshield it does a great job, No need to upgrade. Is there any upgrades you’d recommend? so far I love it.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Mudduck - By sheer coincidence, I have a 2010 NT700V and 2013 NC700XD (DCT) so I fully understand your gripes about the lack of wind protection on the latter! :)

Welcome to the NT-Owner's Group!

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
Welcome to the forums and the world of the NT. I find the weather protection on the NT is top notch and I still use the stock windscreen. There are some others out there that do better, as DirtFlier can attest. Enjoy ! !

Welcome! I'm from north jersey but i've been in south florida since 76. I really like the Nt, it's my go to transportation to work and most other things. Just finished a 600 mile trip to west central florida, then sanford, then home, all back roads. The bike was perfect for it. Enjoy yours

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Welcome.

But you should know that around here "Mudduck" is a person from MN where the loon is the state bird. I can't say more without making a political statement so I'll stop.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Good to have you with us, Mudduck. I'm on my 2nd '10 NT. 139K on #1, 7K on #2. Both of mine have been lowered. Plus: driving lights, cruise control, throttle lock, Russell saddle, big pannier lids, the OEM undercowl, wind deflectors, GPS. This is picture of #2.

Finally Almost Done.jpg

I think the "comfort" level of the stock windshield depends a lot on the height of the rider. I got buffeted a lot until I put a taller aftermarket windshield on the bike. Easy to tell on the first ride if the stock is okay.

I would purchase some JB Weld and reinforce all the latching system points in the saddlebags. You will be able to see very easily how to place the epoxy around the points to add some strength. Yes, many people have no problems with the bags....but a lot do. My bike when purchased used, had badly cracked mounting points that took a little TLC.

I've only put 9,000 miles myself on my bike, but I love it.

Cliff

Bike
2010 NT700V
Welcome to the forum I've had my 2010 NT700 for about 2 years now I have been riding/racing since the '70s and the NT is by far one of the best all around MCs that I have ever ridden good luck with it jt

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Welcome. You picked a great bike.. I have been riding since 1958 and have owned quite a few bikes. The NT is by far the best all around motorcycle I have owned. It is comfortable and will run at 70 all day without a complaint. Gas mileage is great as well -- on Regular. It doesn't get any better.

Bike
‘10 NT700VA ‘10 HD Trike
Good to have you with us, Mudduck. I'm on my 2nd '10 NT. 139K on #1, 7K on #2. Both of mine have been lowered. Plus: driving lights, cruise control, throttle lock, Russell saddle, big pannier lids, the OEM undercowl, wind deflectors, GPS. This is picture of #2.

Finally Almost Done.jpg
Is that a different seat or a cover? I’m liking it!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
The seat is a Russell. I had Russell Day-Longs on both of my '99 Kawasaki Concours and on both of my NTs. But after my 6th knee replacements, the Day-Long which probably added an inch to my seat height, plus I had the heavy-duty saddle. Day-Longs have a transverse steel spring and if you weigh over 235#, they advise that you get the heavy-duty model. I had been about 240# when I got my first Day-Long and by 2018, I was up to 295. I decided that was ridiculous and started on a weight-loss program. By the time I bought my 2nd NT in '20, I was down to 220 and on my way home from Spokane on my old saddle (I had swapped saddles between my "old" and my "new" bikes), I decided that not only was the Day-Long too tall, but it was too hard.

That was about the time Russell came out with the Sport Seat, which omits the steel spring and also reduces the saddle height (after a 500-mile or so break-in period by about 3/4". I bought one and it works perfectly for me...plus it gives me incentive to keep my weight down. I'm at 204# now. In the picture below, the Sport Seat is on the right.

Here's a link to Russell's Sport Seat. You can go from that to the Day-Long link easily. Since I bought my first Day Long in about '93, I've never had a moment of discomfort -- except for the 10K or so miles before I replaced the stock saddle on my NT with my 2nd Day-Long.

P1150012 (2).JPG

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I couldn't find the price for the Sports Seat on Russell's website, so I emailed them and they got right back to me. The price for the Sports Seat and the Day-Long is the same. It's based on the size of the seat. For the NT, the size is S-3. They won't buy back a sports seat if it doesn't work; the Day-Long they will buy back.

Top Bottom