Another Super T?n?r? review

elizilla

I now have a bit over 3000 miles on it, including a couple 500 mile days, so here it is.

Short version:

Love it!

Detailed version:

The ergonomics are excellent. I put the seat in the higher of the two positions, lowered the shift lever, rolled the bars back towards me a little bit and the brake/clutch levers away, and it's perfect. The seat is comfortable on a 500 mile day, though I am not crazy about the gripper material it is upholstered in. That's a dirt bike thing, apparently. That's the only thing I would change. The rest is perfect as it is. The tank feels super narrow between my knees and there is gobs of legroom. (Note that I am very long legged and can flat foot every street bike; I found the NT seat was too low and I had a custom seat made that was higher. So if you find the NT too tall, the Super T?n?r? is not a bike for you. :) )

The passenger seat comes off separately from the driver seat, and under the passenger seat is a rack. You can lash things here. I have made a topcase rack that spans the passenger seat rack and the regular rear rack. I removed the passenger grab rails as well as the passenger seat, and this allows me to set the topcase lower and more forward. If I decide to carry a passenger I can put their stuff back on pretty quickly.

The wind management is a lot better than you would expect, given the relatively small fairing. I don't feel any more wind blowing me around, than I felt on the NT. The stock windshield is darn good, and it was probably silly of me to get the MRA Vario to replace it - I don't think it improved anything and there's precious little improvement needed anyway. The brush guards deflect wind from my hands, and the shape of the tank and the cowling deflect wind from my body. It's excellent. I do notice a little heat from the left side, where the radiator is, but since I wear full gear it's not that noticeable - I probably wouldn't notice it at all, except that I have the right side to compare it to and therefore I notice the difference.

The traction control and the ABS work great. They are darn near seamless; I don't feel them activating, I just notice the bike is confidence inspiring in every situation I have tried it in. I haven't intentionally triggered them, but I let a friend of mine test ride the bike and said he tested them, and that they worked great, and also, the bike was very composed at a buck-twenty-five. :)

The center of gravity is so low, and the wide bars give such leverage, that it feels lighter than other bikes that weigh less, such as the NT or the VFR. It may be 575 lbs but it feels like a lot less, even at parking lot speeds where other heavy bikes really show their weight.

The power is very good. No matter what gear or RPM, when you roll on it pulls like a freight train. I can't feel very much difference between S mode and T mode; both are strong. The power is a generous and comfortable level on the highway; there's no feeling that you're overtaxing it. I think it likes to be north of 4000 RPMs, especially in the higher gears, but it's not bad below that, either. It's going around 75mph actual at 4000 RPMs in top gear.

The FI is well sorted. On my V-Strom, the throttle was so abrupt that I had to learn to never roll off all the way in turns, because rolling on again came with a little jerk. The T?n?r? doesn't do this. The NT didn't do it either but I always figured that with its lower power-to-weight ratio it was less high strung. The T?n?r? has lots of power and still rolls on smoothly. This was actually one of the things highest on my list, to check out during my demo ride, since the only way to find out is to ride it yourself. The T?n?r? passed this test with flying colors and I'm still happy at 3000 miles.

The speedo is about 7% optimistic, when compared to my GPS.

I am averaging 41.4 mpg so far. The tank is supposedly just over 6 gallons. The fuel gauge is a digital thingie with five segments, so, not a lot of precision there. It takes about 60 miles for the first segment to drop. The next three go by more quickly, and at a little under 200 miles it drops to the last segment, which flashes. When it reaches this point, the odometer switches to a counting mode that counts how many miles it has been flashing on the final segment. I've run this counter as high as 40 and still only put in 5.2 gallons, so the "reserve" is pretty high. The gas tank filler neck has a funny little shield in it, like the bikes I rode in Europe; I haven't seen any US-spec bikes with that before.

The high beam headlight is very good. The low beam is moderately irritating because it has that sharp cutoff that is now fashionable. I don't like that because when you're leaned over (for example, in a freeway cloverleaf) the inside side of the beam drops to nothing, and you can't see into the turn. But since this is the current fashion for all headlights, this is not a failing unique to the Super T?n?r?. The NT has this sharp cutoff too.

The bike is not as great sounding as some. The engine sounds like someone put a bunch of old nuts and bolts in a coffee can and rattled it. This rattling noise is accentuated by the cowling, I think - it doesn't sound so rattly when I'm listening as someone else rides away on the bike. And you can't feel the rattling at all - it's only a sound. There's a spot around 3500rpm where it makes a distinct whine, that instantly disappears when I run the revs up by 100 or 200. When the fan comes on, it sounds like a turbine spinning up. But bragging about a bike's sound, is for people who like to hear "potato potato potato". :) For me, earplugs fix any sound, and I'm more interested in ride quality. Which is stellar!

Farkling is easy. The bike came with mounting spots already in place, for aux lighting. There are multiple accessory plugs already in the wiring harness. The bodywork comes off easily; there are no hooks or latches and you don't have to pry or flex anything to get it off. The front fender can be removed without removing the front wheel. There is room for a lot of stuff inside the right sidecover, and under the driver seat. There are dozens of bike-specific accessories already available for it, and more on the way.

I think maintenance will be easy as well. No chain - shaft drive! Valve adjust interval is 24,000 miles. The bodywork comes off easily. The wheels look like they'll be easy to remove. Plenty of room around the triple tree to get to the headlight bulbs. The engine is a dry sump and the oil is checked using a sight glass. The oil filter is a spin-on and it's super easy to reach, but some folks have expressed concern that it's not well protected. It might be worth installing a bash plate that protects it,

The oil is probably the most difficult thing about the maintenance. The oil level checking instructions in the manual, describe a procedure where you have to run the bike at idle until the oil gets to a particular temperature, to check it. The oil level in the sight glass changes radically with the temperature. Since it's a dry sump, I have decided not to sweat about whether it's at the full line in the sight glass - if it's visible in the sight glass I'm going to call that good, even if it's higher or lower.

The biggest annoyance of this bike, is putting the sidestand down. It is hard to reach with my toe. I installed a kickstand plate from Hepco-Becker and this not only helps keep the stand from sinking, it also makes it easier to reach the stand with my toe. I am getting used to it and it is getting less awkward, although when I have my rainsuit on it's worse - I had to make about a dozen attempts to put the side stand down after one rainy morning ride, because I kept catching my boot covers on the footpeg. But if this is my biggest gripe, it's a damn good bike.

Of course I'll probably be all sad when the Crosstourer is unveiled and sent to the USA market, and I learn that if I'd just been more patient I could have had everything on my tarmac trallie wishlist and a Honda V4 too. :) But for now I am very very pleased!

Raycad

Great review! Entertaining and informative!

The NT was to be my next bike but, unfortunately, it's not available in Canada. And with the lack of interest in the U.S., it probably never will. So I was leaning toward the T?n?r?, which is hot here! I saw a black one (not my favorite color) and sat on it at my local dealer; a few days later it was sold. Other dealers around town also sold immediately the ones they had. It's popular, in spite of it's high price ($16 500) when the Canadian dollar is closely at par with the U.S. dollar!.

I'm no Wildman...Mellow...Idiot... and I always stay on public roads, no rocky creek beds for me! But the T?n?r? seems well suited for frugal touring so I'm gathering as much information as I can.

I feel there is not much protection for the feet against wind and rain, somewhat like the NT. But the NT seems to have accessory foot protection available. On my Concours, I've rubber "overboots" in the saddlebags. I've not used them for quite a while, the fairing being sufficient for short strong storms or daylong light rain.

The recommended fuel is 91; I hope it can run on 87 although it has no knock sensor; I'm no big fan of 91!

Ray

hondaaddict

How is the seat height for short-legged people like me (wear size 30 pants)? I know the Tenere is dimensionally similar to the NT. But the Tenere is probably a lot skinny.

I don't see too many people buying the Tenere, like the NT, when the Vstrom 650 and 1000 is so much cheaper and does the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
How is the seat height for short-legged people like me (wear size 30 pants)? I know the Tenere is dimensionally similar to the NT. But the Tenere is probably a lot skinny.

I don't see too many people buying the Tenere, like the NT, when the Vstrom 650 and 1000 is so much cheaper and does the same thing.
The Tenere is shaft drive, has a bigger motor, is more off road worthy and has a few additional noteworthy features that the Vstroms do not have.

OP
OP

elizilla

The seat height is a lot higher, but to me that is a feature since I wear pants with 35" inseam, at least when I can get 'em. The seat can be set to two different heights and I immediately switched to the higher one. The lower one is still taller than the NT.

I used to own a DL1000 V-Strom and the Super10 is better. More power, better driveability, shaft drive. I am also hoping for better reliability, though I won't be able to review that aspect until some more time and miles have passed.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
And add-in the V-Strom 1000 is no longer produced if you want a new bike... I think the Super Ten is pretty much in it's own class right now with the exception of the BMW GS...which looks "out classed" by the Super Ten's specs...

When someone markets a retractable boarding ladder farkle and "Landing Gear" for the Super Ten I'll reconsider one... Right now my 29"-30" inch inseam keeps me feeling like it is a loooong way down! :rolleyes1:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
28-29 inseam here, I feel more comfortable on the Tenere than the ST and that's a couple inches shorter but a wider seat..

OP
OP

elizilla

Great review! Entertaining and informative!

The NT was to be my next bike but, unfortunately, it's not available in Canada. And with the lack of interest in the U.S., it probably never will. So I was leaning toward the T?n?r?, which is hot here! I saw a black one (not my favorite color) and sat on it at my local dealer; a few days later it was sold. Other dealers around town also sold immediately the ones they had. It's popular, in spite of it's high price ($16 500) when the Canadian dollar is closely at par with the U.S. dollar!.
Thanks for the props, Ray!

On my way home, I met another Super10 rider in Ontario. The Canadian bike is not exactly like the USA version. The Canadian bike has the anti-theft thing with the microchipped keys. The USA versions doesn't. I didn't think to check this then, but I am wondering if the Canadians also get hazards and the "light horn" aka that button to flash the brights. USA spec bikes almost never have these, but the EU bikes generally (always?) do. I don't think this is enough extra stuff to account for the whole price difference, but you guys do get slightly more at least.

So far I have been running 91, or 93 when 91 isn't available. I'm not keen on buying premium either but until the new wears off I'm not ready to risk ignoring Yamaha's instructions. I'll let some other Super10 forum members be the first to experiment. :)

Raycad

Katherine, I saw the wonderful picture in the T?n?r? forum: two "sisters-in-riding" from two different countries, full riding suits, two matching blue T?n?r?s! Cool!

And I like your (used?) bags, mounted low!

No, the Canadian model doesn't have the hazard switch. It's one of the first things I checked for I have the four way flashers on my Concours. In six years, I used them just once, in a downpour, on the interstate, in heavy traffic, and with the spray from the other vehicles, I felt much, much, much safer with them! I need them! If, per chance, the wiring is the same as on the European model, maybe, just maybe, the European switch can be installed and plugged. If not, I would surely devise something! Unless you do it first, with pictures....

So us Canadians are paying $2 500 for two microchipped keys. Not bad!

Ray

ken45

Nice review, Katherine, sounds like a very nice bike and a great fit for you!

I had the opportunity to try a Super Tenere at a Yamaha demo days but I couldn't get my leg over the seat so I passed on the chance.

As for "advanced" headlights not showing into a curve, the Goldwing is the same way :(

I understand the desire to avoid premium fuel but I did a calculation and it maybe only runs an extra $200/year (for 8000 miles), really a small sum compared to the price of some of the bikes. But still a painful jab every time someone gasses up. Some stations around here don't even carry anything but regular.

Ken

OP
OP

elizilla

Am I calculating something wrong here? I can't see where you get $200. 8000 miles, is about 193 gallons of fuel for the Super10 or 157 gallons for the NT. I know you don't pay a buck+ per gallon extra for premium in southern Ohio - I ride there all the time. :) Trading the NT's 51mpg for the Super10's 41.5mpg, does more to the costs, than the bump to premium.

ken45

Katherine,

You are probably right, my math was done in my head while I was riding, LOL. I figured about a buck per fill up (20 cents times 5 gallons) and 200 fill ups per year? Oops, that would be 40,000 miles per year, I used the calculator this time :-(

How about $200 more in five years? Not really a big deal price wise although I would hate it at every fill up (just like I hate the higher price of diesel fuel for the truck).

Ken

Top Bottom